The Good Things of being Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well not half as bad as you, but my eldest wasn't breathing when she was born so I gave birth, then they whisked her away, it was the following day before I got to really cuddle her. Then she was badly jaundiced, so we had to stay in hospital 10 days 'till she was well enough for the hospital to let us home. She wasn't very responsive, and at 6 weeks she stopped breathing, I ran all the way to the hospital with her, ( hubby in the Army and on excercise, no mobile 'phones, no money for a taxi and I'm living in Hampshire, miles away from my family. Those were the days!! ). It was suspected she had something wrong with her thyroid but we were sent to Southampton Childrens Hospital for a proper diagnosis. Sure enough, diagnosis, she had little, or no thyroid.

She was my first, (of 3), and I love her as much as the others now, but I do feel the bond wasn't quite as close with her as the other two who were born with no complications, and who I was allowed to cuddle straight away. I'm so pleased for you that it worked out fine. I think there was a lot of debate at the time about not bonding with your child if you don't get to be close to them straight away. Blessings. xx

Aaawww that's a sad story lunarlinda and so worrying and scary for you:(. Is she on medication for life then? I find Southampton is a good hospital ,my friends son was admitted there 7 years ago, with type 1 diabetes.
My daughter was 7 and in the last year of Junior school when she started to feel tired all the time. She was tested for a Thyroid condition and she was border line and our GP said it may surface when she's a teenager, also her half sister has an over active thyroid.
It's sad when children get so ill:( With best wishes

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not seen the film but yes, I suppose I often do this too, but maybe not often enough. I still don't think there's anything good about being diabetic, but it's better than having some other conditions.

Now I'm just going to write something down because then it will come true.......It will, definitely.

Positive thinking:)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As a type 2 my positives are it gave me motivation to lose weight and get fitter after 12 months of cancer treatment that turned me into an overweight slob. (and gave me diabetes in the first place). I am now a lot healthier and slimmer. Goodness knows what state I might be in now but for diabetes. I also discovered yogurt, which I'd never eaten before and have been able to eat fry ups and butter without feeling guilty. Negatives? I could kill for a chip butty followed by a large vanilla slice.

Negatives? I could kill for a chip butty followed by a large vanilla slice.[/QUOTE

Drooling now, yummy ( tbh I would go for a fruit tart) :D memories:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people

Lilliepop

Eating butter and cream without worrying about cholesterol, eating pork scrachings, and having a fry up for breakfast.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, I can receive free eye test, the last one, to long ago. I have gone back to my healthy eating,(pre family) my other half is careful in what he buys in food. Also swimming is on the agenda, which I used to do. I still have my camping, which I love.

Heather

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
i watched a film once called "the secret" probably everyones seen it, for a second or two it sounded reasonable, the basic idea is that if you believe something is going to happen it will, this I've since decided is daft but there was a thing they suggested everyone does in the morning, when you wake you write down...

i am happy and grateful because _____________

and you fill in the blank, i have tried this and although i don't physically write it down i do consider this, we all have things to be grateful for and sometimes its easy to see past them and focus only on the negatives, this is of course easy for me to say with minor aches and pains when some people suffer each day, but give it a try, its starts you off on a positive note for the day

Thanks for that Andy! :) I just did it and it's quite amazing how long my list was. In spite of some not so good stuff at the moment, I do have loads to be happy and grateful for and you are right, it does start the day off well. Positive thinking is a good thing. :happy:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
For me, I can receive free eye test, the last one, to long ago. I have gone back to my healthy eating,(pre family) my other half is careful in what he buys in food. Also swimming is on the agenda, which I used to do. I still have my camping, which I love.

Heather
Are eye tests only free for everyone in Scotland?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i watched a film once called "the secret" probably everyones seen it, for a second or two it sounded reasonable, the basic idea is that if you believe something is going to happen it will, this I've since decided is daft but there was a thing they suggested everyone does in the morning, when you wake you write down...

i am happy and grateful because _____________

and you fill in the blank, i have tried this and although i don't physically write it down i do consider this, we all have things to be grateful for and sometimes its easy to see past them and focus only on the negatives, this is of course easy for me to say with minor aches and pains when some people suffer each day, but give it a try, its starts you off on a positive note for the day
Well the first thing didn't work......what I wrote down was 'England will beat Uruguay today'. So I suppose I'll have to do the next idea when I wake tomorrow.....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol no, you write down your reasons for being grateful lol the stuff you want you sposed to know youll get it, and the universe makes it happen, dunno about you but that part sounds like bollx to me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well the first thing didn't work......what I wrote down was 'England will beat Uruguay today'. So I suppose I'll have to do the next idea when I wake tomorrow.....

Hi that's The Cosmic Ordering Service. You can ask for nice things to happen, only positive things, no negative talk or harming or hurting anybody .
It may take a while as I have been trying this for few years now;)

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Aaawww that's a sad story lunarlinda and so worrying and scary for you:(. Is she on medication for life then? I find Southampton is a good hospital ,my friends son was admitted there 7 years ago, with type 1 diabetes.
My daughter was 7 and in the last year of Junior school when she started to feel tired all the time. She was tested for a Thyroid condition and she was border line and our GP said it may surface when she's a teenager, also her half sister has an over active thyroid.
It's sad when children get so ill:( With best wishes
Hi ~Robin

Yes, she's been on Thyroxine all her life, the dose needed altering as she grew. When we lived in Germany she became clumsy and sedate so I took her to the docs who said to put her tablets up from 2 a day to 3 a day. I was only 21, but something told me this was wrong, so I said no, I want her in hospital as her dose is altered. He wasn't very pleased, she was admitted, in 10 days, and when she came home, her dose had been set at one and a half tablets a day, she was on too much. 3 a day would have killed her. I don't have ANY faith in GP's.

Yes, it was a big eye opener being in SCH. Although you can't help having a feeling of, why me? there were some very sick babies and children on the ward, One baby around 3 months old dying of meningitis whilst we were there. I stopped feeling sorry for myself at this point.

I like Andy's morning affirmation, they say happiness is a state of mind.

We certainly have a lot to be grateful for, all of us.

Blessed Be. xxxx

TP051

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We are a group consisting of 4 students from Tampines Junior College in Singapore and are conducting a research for our ‘A’ level Project Work coursework which is based on diabetes.
We have made a survey to find out more about how we can improve the process of administering insulin.
We would be extremely grateful if you could help us in our research by partaking in the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/130idUjic_MqGezSq1nKvBWAC1Zl-8NlT19ZrA1_J9AE/viewform

Thank you :)

innilus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unappreciative people, Stress, Facebook
The good things I may have learnt through being diabetic are far outweighed by the illness itself. It's like winning £20 on the lottery after the bank has just taken your house. Diabetes is effed-up but it is what it is, just gotta deal with it.

Reactions: 4 people

Quigs2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As a T2, I reckon the best thing is now I don't take my health for granted. I am kinder to myself now. I am enjoying trying new recipes and diagnosis has given me the motivation to lose two and a half stone :)

Quigs2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As a T2, I reckon the best thing is now I don't take my health for granted. I am kinder to myself now. I am enjoying trying new recipes and diagnosis has given me the motivation to lose two and a half stone :)
I agree, I now have a plan that is working for me and I'm looking after myself better than I ever have before ! Good health people xx

Reactions: 3 people

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
False, patronising people who assume they know everything about me!
I can honestly say I don't feel any negativity to having T2 diabetes. There's so much scaremongering about it...but I feel as long as you keep your blood glucose levels within the 'healthy' range you have nothing to worry about. I have never eaten so called 'low fat' products as it has been proven that they contain added sugar!!! My diet has changed though. I now follow a low carb diet and it suits me!! XX

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't think of any positives other than my weight loss of 2 stone since diagnosis fifteen months ago (Type 1) and I have adopted a more healthy lifestyle with better diet and more exercise.
Diabetes has taken over my life to a large extent because I worry over high BG readings, despite the fact that my HbA1c is within acceptable limits. I also have coronary heart disease and mild angina but this is well controlled at the moment with medication.
I count myself lucky that there are plenty of people on hand who can help me when needed (including this forum).

maliki

There are always two sides to a coin. In this case the positive aspects are more beneficial to a db in the sense that knowing that you are a db offers you an opportunity to do something positive about it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App