High blood sugars but low GI eating. Max 100g-120g carbs a day.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Had one high reading of 13.4 at 8am before basal dose and its 9.30am and its 11.8 again. So how much do i need to adjust my basal insulin by?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had one high reading of 13.4 at 8am before basal dose and its 9.30am and its 11.8 again. So how much do i need to adjust my basal insulin by?

You need to compare what your BG was when you went to bed with what it was when you woke up. Also the time(s) of the basal dose(s).

And you need to know roughly by how much 1u of insulin lowers your blood sugar.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok. So 11.8 before bed. 11.1 at 1am and just at 5am to a 14... I'm not allowed to adjust?

Yes you are allowed to adjust - in the morning, or at the end of whatever your testing period is. And the next time you do a basal dose, add that same adjustment amount onto the basal.

So if you normally take 10 basal and you take 4u Novorapid to adjust down from 14 mmol/L, next time take 14 basal: the usual 10, plus 4.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I've reduced my Levermir from 40u at night and 40u in the morning to 25u each time. Also reduced my novorapid ratio to 1:1.1 and my sugars are now 6-9 for last 2 days. Think I must have been injecting way too much for my body and daily carbs (100-120g a day complex). I must have built up some resistance. Plus I must have been fighting an infection for last 2 weeks as as soon as I finished the fast a horrible stomach bug knocked me for six. It took me down by saturday evening. Kept feeling dizzy, hurled a lot and Sat night had the teeth chatters and shakes. It was gone by midday Sunday and sugars dropped to around 9mmol. Freaky that and a bit scary!

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Iam on 1500 a day mertformin am type 2 and I have realised my stomach is becoming bigger each day . Is this normal?

Jill Jones

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the ketogenic diet helps burn fat more efficiently. I have always been slim but developed a middle age spread a few years back, but that seems to have diminished now since low-carbing.
I have reduced my stomach by doing an hour of intense Pilates twice a week. By building the muscle in your core it burns the fat which really helps the organs in that area work more efficiently.

I am type 2 and 54 years old. Since doing Pilates my figure. Well being and stress levels have been greatly improved.

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I have reduced my stomach by doing an hour of intense Pilates twice a week. By building the muscle in your core it burns the fat which really helps the organs in that area work more efficiently.

I am type 2 and 54 years old. Since doing Pilates my figure. Well being and stress levels have been greatly improved.

ThNks for your advise wl try

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 196

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

Good morning Jill thank you very much l will try to follow your advice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 184

Mosschops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pennyjwills

robert72's suggestion of low carb is excellent short term for getting your BS's better on track, and in the Long-term is excellent for diabetic control and health. Dozens of studies have shown that Low-carb is far better than Low-fat for weight loss. :)

I'd advise doing some reading on it before doing Low-carb especially as a diabetic. Feel free to message me.