1.8 mmol/l hypo, still feeling terrible 2 days later

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I'll try to make this as short as possible... Two nights ago (at 2am on Thursday to be exact) I had a hypo, measured at 1.8 mmol/l. I'm guessing you can call it a "severe hypo", because if it wasn't for my boyfriend I wouldn't have gotten to the sugar myself. I only remember parts of it, like him checking my bg, pulling me up to sitting position (I couldn't sit up myself) and making me drink some coke (I fell asleep a few times during that). I remember the can being terribly heavy (it was still small 150ml can...) and me being completely wet. I woke up about 2 hours later feeling hypo again - but higher this time, because I was able to get to the kitchen and eat something by myself.
Not a very pleasant night.

Anyway, I woke up in the morning (so 3-4 hours after the second hypo) and I was only able to text my boss that I'm not coming to work today (that was yesterday). Finally woke up another 2 hours later. In total, I got my usual 7-8 hours of sleep that night.

The day was obviously horrible, I felt like I've done a marathon with the worst hangover of my life. Everything hurt and I was tired and sleepy. My sugar was in a normal range, spiking weirdly but getting back down after a while. We went for a walk during the day, but I was sooo sleepy, so when we got back I went back to bed. Slept for about 4 hours, after my bf woke me up (it was evening already). Evening wasn't bad, I was still tired but not so sleepy and overall better. So we went for another walk, which was rather good. But by the end of it, my legs muscles started hurting reeeeaaaaally bad. I went back to sleep later, still hurting.

Tonight had a small hypo (3.5) again, but managed it and woke up with reasonable sugar, around 6 (I was going for a higher fasting, so 6 was good). Today has been rather weird, my bg is more or less stable, but it's moody around meals. I messed up my basal (that's what caused the hypos), so I'm not worried about it - I'll get it back to normal when injecting this evening and it should be ok tomorrow.

The only thing that worries me, is that everything still hurts! :( I'm at work today, slightly tired. I went out for my lunch break and everything started hurting again :( I'm feeling like I just want to crawl into bed and stay there.
Should I blame the hypos for still feeling bad or should I be really worried?

Reactions: 3 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Oh bless you I'm only on tablets for t2 and never gone that low but not surprised you feel awful! Sure someone with more experience will be along soon :) but I'm sure your body just needs a bit of time to recover be kind to yourself, have you got any healthcare professional you could call just to reassure you? I'm sure they would be happy that you contacted them with any concerns. Hugs, hope you feel back to normal soon xxx

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a few nasty overnight hypos and felt pretty awful (weak, headache, hard to concentrate) the next day. A good night's sleep usually sorts me out but occasionally have less pronounced effects for a second day. The muscle pains sound very unpleasant. 1.8 is very low but your BG may have been even lower - you could have measured it as you were recovering.

I think it would be sensible to have a chat with your Diabetes Support Nurse.
Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unusual to be still feeling the effects of a hypo 2 days later, I would go along with what Duneplodder & Sunday 1980 say and have a word with your gp or diabetes team.

Just one more thing Paulina, it looks like you need to cut back on your basal insulin a little bit, 2 hypo's in 2 nights isn't the norm, some of us find when the hot weather arrives our insulin needs decrease.

Reactions: 4 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just one more thing Paulina, it looks like you need to cut back on your basal insulin a little bit, 2 hypo's in 2 nights isn't the norm, some of us find when the hot weather arrives our insulin needs decrease.

The hypos were actually caused by me increasing my basal - it seemed I needed more of it just before my period and I overdid it :( but lesson learned, will know better next time. I never thought that adding one unit will cause such a dramatic change. Yesterday my bg dropped from 8 to 3.5 in less than 2 hours (after basal, no bolus)! I guess my previous dose was right in the sweet spot :)

Thanks everyone! I'll try to finally get some rest over the weekend. I'm seeing my consultant in 2 weeks, so will be able to discuss it with him in detail.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The hypos were actually caused by me increasing my basal - it seemed I needed more of it just before my period and I overdid it :( but lesson learned, will know better next time. I never thought that adding one unit will cause such a dramatic change. Yesterday my bg dropped from 8 to 3.5 in less than 2 hours (after basal, no bolus)! I guess my previous dose was right in the sweet spot :)

Thanks everyone! I'll try to finally get some rest over the weekend. I'm seeing my consultant in 2 weeks, so will be able to discuss it with him in detail.

Always say you type 1 ladies have it much tougher with periods and such. It's surprising what a difference 1 unit can make Paulina, anyway hope your feeling better soon and get to enjoy the weekend ahead :)

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it possible you might have had a hypoglycaemic seizure? I wonder if that could be the reason you feel so rough.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible you might have had a hypoglycaemic seizure? I wonder if that could be the reason you feel so rough.
A seizure? It would be quite noticeable, wouldn't it? My bf says I was mumbling but nothing like an attack were you shake etc...

It's getting better now, I'm resting, got my bg stable and feeling little better :)

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure it necessarily would be - I think there are types where you shake and other types where you just become unresponsive. Either way, important thing is you're feeling better now. :)