Hello. I'm back!!!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Thank you. I mention the HBA1C test and say "I have never had the latter" so I do mention that I am unfamiliar with this blood test. I haven't not liked any advice from anyone. I see a gastroenterologist in September and we will see what happens from there.

Like I say the only reason I am linking this retching/heaving with a pre-diabetic condition is because out of all the blood tests I have had done only the Glucose Fasting test has persistently come back with abnormal results so that that is why I am thinking that there must be some connection here?
It may not be a blood problem.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I mention the HBA1C test and say "I have never had the latter" so I do mention that I am unfamiliar with this blood test. I haven't not liked any advice from anyone. I see a gastroenterologist in September and we will see what happens from there.

Like I say the only reason I am linking this retching/heaving with a pre-diabetic condition is because out of all the blood tests I have had done only the Glucose Fasting test has persistently come back with abnormal results so that that is why I am thinking that there must be some connection here?

So, to repeat my question, do you have another appointment for the gastroscopy, or are you seeing the consultant without having the investigation done?

Reactions: 3 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Nan had to have examinations from both ends. Nothing was found via the rectum but something was found in the stomach. It had nothing to do with diabetes but it did need immediate treatment.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this but I mean what does a HB1AC test indicate? How accurate are these tests?

The HbA1c test indicates how much glucose is stuck to your blood cells over a 3 month period. It involves the blood nurse strapping you into her chair and extracting a phial of blood from a vein in your arm. Seriously though, she may not need to strap you down if you co-operate! A high HbA1c result means that the blood has become very sticky due to high levels of glucose sticking to the blood cells.

calumcco

So, to repeat my question, do you have another appointment for the gastroscopy, or are you seeing the consultant without having the investigation done?

Hi I do not currently have another appointment for Gastroscopy. I am just waiting to see my Consultant in September and taking it from there. I actually spoke to an endoscopic nurse when I cancelled the 2nd appointment and she said " I don't blame you for cancelling as to be honest I don't think this procedure is going to find the answer to your symptom"

She also asked why I had been referred for the procedure when I had not answered YES to any of the ten questions she had asked me regarding symptoms.
I.E....
Do you have any heartburn ... NO
Do you have any pain in your Gastrointestinal tract... NO
Any weight loss... NO
Any dysphagia... NO
Any actual vomiting... NO
Any bloating in your abdomen... NO
Any blood in your phlem... NO
Any indigestion... NO
Any bowel difficulties... NO
Any regurgitation... NO

She was bemused as she told me that 85% of patients she sees have answered YES to 7 or more of these questions.
I am also not anaemic as my Blood Count is incredibly healthy.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Righty ho!

I'm going to stick my neck out & suggest this to you Calum.
Then I will unfollow the rest of this thread.. The rest is down to you, because that is the first step of truly resolving this issue..!

I've been reading your other stuff on this forum to date & a few key points jump out.
You've had anxiety since leaving school which has recently manifested as "dry retching"..
This has resulted in you loosing your job.. You have touched on agoraphobia as part of you anxiety symptoms..
You reference "Holsten Pills" as a remedy for this stress in your first post on another thread & even throw it out as a resolution towards another forum member when you defended your query... (Personally if I was retching? The last thing I'd want is a can o beer.)

You state, you were healthy as a child & most the tests you agreed to recently have shown up nothing to worry about.

Now my suggestion.. Seek professional counselling for your anxiety.. There is no shame in this. All the physical medical theories you hold & question about will just take you round I circles causing more anxiety..

I sincerely wish you the best of luck buddy!

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I do not currently have another appointment for Gastroscopy. I am just waiting to see my Consultant in September and taking it from there. I actually spoke to an endoscopic nurse when I cancelled the 2nd appointment and she said " I don't blame you for cancelling as to be honest I don't think this procedure is going to find the answer to your symptom"

She also asked why I had been referred for the procedure when I had not answered YES to any of the ten questions she had asked me regarding symptoms.
I.E....
Do you have any heartburn ... NO
Do you have any pain in your Gastrointestinal tract... NO
Any weight loss... NO
Any dysphagia... NO
Any actual vomiting... NO
Any bloating in your abdomen... NO
Any blood in your phlem... NO
Any indigestion... NO
Any bowel difficulties... NO
Any regurgitation... NO

She was bemused as she told me that 85% of patients she sees have answered YES to 7 or more of these questions.
I am also not anaemic as my Blood Count is incredibly healthy.

Well, this is my last post on this too Callum.

I can't comprehend what you might expect your consultant to say when you go back, having cancelled his prescribed investigations. And, frankly, if I were managing the nurse (I'm not a nurse or NHS manager, for clarity), she would be disciplined for her comments. It is unlikely she was party to all appointments or discussions regarding your care, so could not fully understand the consultant's rationale. And, it would appear, to an outsider, that your consultant is trying hard to get to the bottom of things - even if that means reassuring himself there is nothing oddly sinister going on in your early digestive track. But, you will not accept his help.

If you really believe you are diabetic, then why do you not adopt a diabetic lifestyle? Reduce your carbs, perhaps ditch alcohol for a while, eat healthily, and exercise a little. As your earlier tests discounted diabetes, it seems less likely you would have progressed quickly to a stage where medication was the only option. And, in any case, diet and exercise is the most powerful weapon in the diabetic armoury, and I feel that giving you any medication right now, in your state of mind, could just give you something else to be unhappy about. That is my opinion, not a professional diagnosis, obviously.

I agree with @Jaylee that you need to seek help with your self proclaimed anxiety, or again, you are playing an enormous part in perpetuating a situation you find unacceptable to you. To regurgitate (deliberate choice of word) the old cliche, "you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink". Or alternatively, "there are none so blind as those who will not see."

I wish you well, but until you can move from the problem perpetuating camp to the problem solving camp, I fear you will not progress in the way you state you would like to.

Reactions: 4 people