Metformin and Diarrhoea

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
I've been on Metformin slow release for just over a year, was to increase dose to 3 x per day, but my BG was dropping too low (2.7) so went down to 2 x per day. Stayed on that dose for 11 months, sugars started increasing, so GP upped Metformin.

I'd been having episodes of diarrhoea but not too bad so I was putting up with it. Since upping Metformin to 3 x per day, my stomach has been terrible, diarrhoea every day, cramping, wind, etc. and then I got a tummy bug which really knocked me and left me with uncontrollable explosive diarrhoea meaning I couldn't leave the house for nearly three weeks. I spoke to my GP who said 'stop taking the Metformin and see how you get on, have a blood test in three months'.
Now, for the past year I have been told that Diabetes is serious, take medications, make lifestyle changes, etc. etc. ...........so, if it is that serious, surely I can't just stop taking medication? If that is the case, then why did I not just have three monthly blood tests and not take any medications in the first place???

[I insisted that it couldn't be 'okay' to just stop taking Metformin and asked for an alternative, and will get them tomorrow after a mess up with my prescription (Glicazide) ]

Anyone else had similar? And anyone had stomach side effects from Glicazide?

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe your GP is suggesting that you try controlling your BS levels with diet and exercise? I have only tried Metformin, the ordinary and the SR, and with both I was housebound because of my stomach, and that's no life. But I do keep my BS as near as possible to non diabetic levels, with the occasional spike if trying a new food. I hope you are OK on the Glicazide.

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Thanks for the reply....I was told on diagnosis that I was past the point of being able to control it with diet and exercise. I'm only slightly over weight, 36, good diet already lowish carbs, but 3 grandparents were diabetic and my uncle has pre-diabetes. I just don't get how relaxed the GP was about stopping Metformin - although I bet if I said I didn't fancy taking it anymore he wouldn't have been so relaxed!
I am hoping that the Glicazide is better, thankyou!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear that even SR Met is giving problems. Metformin only ever makes a small improvement to blood sugar and is at it's best for those who are overweight and have insulin resistance. Gliclazide is best targeted at those who have a failing pancreas as it stimulates the islet cells. Typically it might be used for those with Late onset T1 in early stages. What sort of diet do you have? Are you low-carbing? Are you overweight? Diet is the single most important thing to control T2 diabetes (and even LADA before insulin)

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Hi, my diet has always been really good - take aways once a year on holiday only, everything home made from scratch, I don't have a sweet tooth at all, no pop, sweets, etc. don't drink much alcohol....cheese is my weakness, lol! Also fairly low carbs, always under 100gs, usually 50-60.
I am slightly over weight, but have lost some since diagnosis.

Yorkiebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply....I was told on diagnosis that I was past the point of being able to control it with diet and exercise. I'm only slightly over weight, 36, good diet already lowish carbs, but 3 grandparents were diabetic and my uncle has pre-diabetes. I just don't get how relaxed the GP was about stopping Metformin - although I bet if I said I didn't fancy taking it anymore he wouldn't have been so relaxed!
I am hoping that the Glicazide is better, thankyou!

Yorkiebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm on x 2 SR Metormin and 1 x40 mg Gliclazide which do really bring my levels down however I do have to be very careful about hypos with the Gliclazide. My Dr is suggesting that I take x 3 SR Metfromin and not the Gliclazide so I hope if I go down this road I fair better than yourself with the tummy problems.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did have some problems with Metformin, but it went rather erratic for me, some times diarrhoea, sometimes constipated. I have started taking a small daily dose of Psyllium husks (you can get them online or from some health food shops, and they do come under different names sometimes) and they have help me a great deal as they can help with both conditions so might be worth a try. Just make sure you drink plenty of water with them.

I don't know if anyone else here has tried them or has anything to say against their use.

Reactions: 2 people

vintageblonde

Hi......I have 2 long standing bowel complaints, which contributed to my being unable to tolerate any oral meds I had to try for Type 2 Diabetes; rearing its ugly head after managing without any form of medication for 8 years. The pain and embarrassing sided effects made it difficult to live any kind of a normal life...feeling sh*** most of the time, and wondering if it was all worth it. Eventually the Diabetic nurse suggested either insulin or to try the daily injection of victoza. As one of the side effects of victoza is gastric upsets, she was doubtful it would be any better for me.....but I said I would like to try before resorting to Insulin. I expected to feel sick, as most people on victoza seem to experience nausea to varying degrees.....but I thought I would soldier on and see if there would be any improvement over time. Sure enough......after initially feeling pukey and struggling to eat for a few weeks, this gradually eased. Weight down, blood sugars down to single figures again.....and Hb1 thingy down to 52....a great improvement in the first 3 months! However, the major surprise has been a virtual complete turnaround with my gastric and bowel conditions.....I mean an AMAZING difference!!!! So from my perspective.....drugs like metformin and glicazide made me feel incredibly ill, with very little improvement in blood sugar control. Continuing on them was counter productive and completely demoralising.....I am extremely grateful that my Diabetic Nurse and GP took notice of the difficulties I was having, and offered another option. The daily injection isn't a problem, and I hope it will be a long time before (or even 'if') insulin needs to be considered again..:)

pipwizard

Oh god I hated the first two years on metformin think I lived in the loo but then I went on gliclazide and I find that ok it took me think 3 years for my belly to settle

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother was on a Metformin SR, she couldn't live "with her bowels living a different life from her" as she put it. Eventually the GP put her on Gliclacide 2x 80mg & 2 x 80mg on an evening. Her BS are under control. She is definitely better than when she was on the Metformin (she was too scared too leave the house before). Now and again she still does have a bad day, but she's definitely better than she was. She is taking maximum dose of Gliclacide by the way.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Thanks for all the replies........I have been off the Metformin for nearly two weeks now, and my stomach is back to normal for the first time in just over a year!!
The Glicazide is great for my stomach, but my sugars are still a bit high, so will have to make an appointment with GP next week to see about upping the dose (I'm on the lowest dose). I'm glad to hear others have found an alternative to Metformin too :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Should be called Metfartin. that stuff made me ill and I had half my colon removed to bowel disease. DN's should start with other oral meds for instance Gliclazide. Hope this helps everybody who are getting side effects from Metformin

biltong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took Metformin 3 x 500mg daily after Type 2 diagnosis a month ago. I also started to control my diet immediately. Stopped all sugar, bread products and fruit. Just eat oats porridge, eggs, fish and salads or veggies. The Metformin made me so ill that the Dr. put me on 2 x SR per day. those caused me to vomit and as I work, that was a no-no too. I only see my Dr for a follow up next week but have stopped the Metformin. The BG levels were no better with the meds and I NOW FEEL HUMAN AGAIN. Weighed 81Kg 3 months ago, 75Kg at diagnosis and a month later 68Kg. My levels are still fluctuating a bit but usually between 6.5 and 8 except in the morning when they go to 11. I know I need more exercise and am walking but not enough. No fit, so I need to build up some stamina.

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Metformin slow release for just over a year, was to increase dose to 3 x per day, but my BG was dropping too low (2.7) so went down to 2 x per day. Stayed on that dose for 11 months, sugars started increasing, so GP upped Metformin.

I'd been having episodes of diarrhoea but not too bad so I was putting up with it. Since upping Metformin to 3 x per day, my stomach has been terrible, diarrhoea every day, cramping, wind, etc. and then I got a tummy bug which really knocked me and left me with uncontrollable explosive diarrhoea meaning I couldn't leave the house for nearly three weeks. I spoke to my GP who said 'stop taking the Metformin and see how you get on, have a blood test in three months'.
Now, for the past year I have been told that Diabetes is serious, take medications, make lifestyle changes, etc. etc. ...........so, if it is that serious, surely I can't just stop taking medication? If that is the case, then why did I not just have three monthly blood tests and not take any medications in the first place???

[I insisted that it couldn't be 'okay' to just stop taking Metformin and asked for an alternative, and will get them tomorrow after a mess up with my prescription (Glicazide) ]

Anyone else had similar? And anyone had stomach side effects from Glicazide?

I have tried 3 times to take sr metformin but last friday i sat on the loo at work with bucket as i felt sick as well as diarrhoea - cant live like that so i have stopped taking them and trying low carb high fat - havent quite got the hang of it yet but better to persist with that than metforming

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have any of you with tummy troubles tried giving up wheat? I find that metformin and wheat are not good friends.

staying positive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took Metformin 3 x 500mg daily after Type 2 diagnosis a month ago. I also started to control my diet immediately. Stopped all sugar, bread products and fruit. Just eat oats porridge, eggs, fish and salads or veggies. The Metformin made me so ill that the Dr. put me on 2 x SR per day. those caused me to vomit and as I work, that was a no-no too. I only see my Dr for a follow up next week but have stopped the Metformin. The BG levels were no better with the meds and I NOW FEEL HUMAN AGAIN. Weighed 81Kg 3 months ago, 75Kg at diagnosis and a month later 68Kg. My levels are still fluctuating a bit but usually between 6.5 and 8 except in the morning when they go to 11. I know I need more exercise and am walking but not enough. No fit, so I need to build up some stamina.
Something is making me very tired/could be not enough fat in diet /too much walking but 80mins a day with rest days doesnt seem excessive or the METFORMIN reduced by 500 to 3 x500 last week...... M does cause a vitamin B12 deficiency