Long acting enquiry

cuddles1985

Im on lantus and inject at night, im thinking along with advise from my nurse to change to mornings or possibly split the dose between morning and night id just like to get peoples opinions and what you do

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
What are the reasons behind this ? Are you struggling to control BG levels at present or something else ? Many split their dose and there are no hard and fast rules. Test regularly and be guided by the numbers.

cuddles1985

What are the reasons behind this ? Are you struggling to control BG levels at present or something else ? Many split their dose and there are no hard and fast rules. Test regularly and be guided by the numbers.

My nurse has sugested this might help with keeping my levels more stable as ive taken up a bootcamp class.

Telgreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started rely mucking around with the lantus ! I've been on it for three years and worked out fast v best thing to do is to split v dose I did 50/50 to start with then moved 65/35 was getting to many night time hypos ! And I hate them ! But In Saying that I still get them ! But like I said I'm playing around with it now as I now have a cgm ! I now know v lantus only last 18 hours ! My latest trial I'm just starting is to have my lantus at lunch this way it will b even through v night my plan is to get my night stuff sorted as this is where I will get best health benefits and will get best control as not eating etc ! And as I'm awake eating injecting with nova rapid and doing stuff when lantus has worn of should b sweet till lunch ! I will let u no how I get on ! Also it is amazing v rise in blood sugar when v lantus stops working !

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just change to a morning injection if it suits you better, it doesn't matter when you take lantus as long as you take it at the same time each day, I take mine early evening around 6pm.

There's no reason to split-dose lantus unless you find it's not lasting the full 24 hours, if this is the case then it might be a good idea to at least try it or switch to another basal such as levemir.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to split mine as it doesn't last 24 hours. I do 9 at 8 am and 5 at 8 pm. It works for me, although may regret this during the school holidays! Lol x

Mosschops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cuddles1985

DonnaC-T has hit the nail on the head. In a\n ideal world Lantus would last 24 hours but studies have shown it doesn't. Quite often you are looking at 18 hours. Try splitting your dosage in 2 and taking it 12 hours apart. eg 9am and 9pm

Telgreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not realise how important it is to get your lantus right till now ! I tried changing to just lunch time jab did not work well ! Even tried uping rate! Gone back to 50 50 split but because lantus last 14 to 18 hours with me I take 20 u at night when go bed round 10 11 pm then another 20 about 7 to 8 am this way all v over laping is during v day when it can b managed ! It workin great I'm having days of running under 8 getting up in morin under 8 ! It's just chalk and cheese now ! Great will up date again later