Attitudes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

sixfoot

As a T2 myself it is clear that you will be damned either way.

1. if you get control by moderating your carb intake you are going against the grain ( pun not intended )

2. If you test and try to find out what your body reacts to you are a drain on NHS resources due to your Porky posture.

3. If you get control and lose the weight by your own efforts rather than the conventional wisdom you will be at risk of some future exotic deficiency/ illness.

4. As a one-time Porky i was keeping one or two consultants /GPs / Nurses /Newspaper Editors in a job, How ungratefull they must be.

In my humble opinion they will say and think it anyway so be damned and carry on regardless, they will.

Of course this view dosnt represent the Website or other individuals. but i am quietly confident i am not alone.

Dave P

Aadrgon

(peeks out from behind the settee)

We're all right behind you Dave

(sneaks back in behind settee) :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
See,that holiday has done you some good! Bursting with confidence now! :D

You're quite right.Until the media and medical profession starts changing their attitude we will always be the self abusing drain on the NHS.Never mind that the info was wrong in the first place we are just non-compliant ,lazy ,junk food gorging slobs!!!

Aadrgon

Unfortunately Sue I think we are a long way off of getting through to the majority of the Health professionals we have to deal with. It's the holier than thou mindset.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
If they started now,revamping the information taught in uni then ,in 3 years you would have hundreds of newly qualified nurses questioning the 'party line'. In 7 years you would have hundreds of new doctors changing the 'party line' ,meanwhile those on evidence based courses would be updated and change as well.All it needs is for the idea to change and be recognised as evidence based.After all,Ansel Keys did it,why can't someone else?

sixfoot

Aadrgon............. if hiding behind the sofa gives you good control by all means go for it :shock: .
However the one way that has to show up in the end is for all that have obtained control to ensure it is recorded in their records. Yes it will take a while but at least you have the satisfaction of doing your bit.

Sue the confidence is being amassed for the moment i actually go in and get the thong ( if i can find the right shade).

Dave P

Aadrgon

Ansel Keys got lucky :)

In this day and age the medical profession is so worried about lawsuits and being sued that they are resistant to change - doesn't matter if they are wrong they are following age old practices which means the medical profession will back them if anything goes wrong.

and Dave

Please please please don't post a picture of you in a thong :shock:

sixfoot

Aadrgn............Wot no peeks at pics of golden pecs. POOO just what did i lose 3.5stone for ????? :roll: :roll:

sixfoot

Sue ............ Please .......... remember your a moderator.

There are sensitive and impressionable souls on here.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Dave P

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
True,Dave.must remember the member's blood pressure . :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

lilibet

If its any consolation, whilst Type 1's are not at mercy of the media (actually we are, cause no one really seems to understand the difference between the types, people always stupidly make exclamations about how its 'funny' how I 'got' diabetes cause I am thin) bad attitudes towards Type 1's is not unusual.

This is sadly usually from the medical profession who see fit to ascribe attitude to you if you challenge them, or have an attitude towards you. This might be that you are too well controlled, not controlled enough, test too much, dont test enough, too low A1c, have blue eyes, ask too many questions, were born on Monday ....... ad nauseum

I tend to stick up for type 2's if i hear about it. Unfortunately a huge amount of type 2' s are overweight but they see this as cause and effect as fat = diabetic risk rather than thinking diabetic risk=insulin resistance= probs with metabolism= weight gain.

What I want to know however is how in Gods name can they tell how many people are diabetic but dont know it. I mean, its goes without saying!! :lol:

Do they have genetic profiles for the whole country?

Unfortunately, all kidding aside, this diabetic apartheid extends to the prescribing policy

L

C

catherinecherub

Interesting replies.
The study goes further than suggesting the medical profession displaying bias. It also includes perceptions from employers, educators, family members and romantic partners. It is a no win situation.
Catherine.

SilverAndEbony

I'm sure I was told that actually carrying loads of fat - not just being overweight, but the excess weight being fat - affects the glucose control mechanism. So any type 2 diabetes problem is exacerbated.
I've not idea where I heard that - dare I say it may have been my diabetes nurse? I'm going to go and eat my evening meal now (with carbs) - and then hide behind the sofa before you all throw things at me.....

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
You're quite right,S&E it's that excess fat around the middle that causes insulin resistance.Losing that greatly helps reduce insulin resistance, unfortunately it is the most difficult fat to lose!