"A new you in 42"

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no, A&E. Were you hurt? A&E is enough to raise anyone's BP and anxiety levels.

Massive massive panic attack and threw up and it was blood streaked so took myself off to a and e. They were lovely and went out of way to make me feel calmer and to try and help sort out my underlying anxiety which is more than the psychiatric service have been doing, though to give them their due they did write to me yesterday to say they know they haven't written to me but they will be eventually and to see my GP in meantime who will say but that isn't my job that's the job of the team I've referred you to.. Feeling fragile still but the fact by BP was heaps better than in the surgery despite being in a hospital setting means I may be able to avoid BP meds.( I get white coat syndrome )
Today I've done 25 mins on bike and ten minutes Pilates and stretching stuff.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Massive massive panic attack and threw up and it was blood streaked so took myself off to a and e. They were lovely and went out of way to make me feel calmer and to try and help sort out my underlying anxiety which is more than the psychiatric service have been doing, though to give them their due they did write to me yesterday to say they know they haven't written to me but they will be eventually and to see my GP in meantime who will say but that isn't my job that's the job of the team I've referred you to.. Feeling fragile still but the fact by BP was heaps better than in the surgery despite being in a hospital setting means I may be able to avoid BP meds.( I get white coat syndrome )
Today I've done 25 mins on bike and ten minutes Pilates and stretching stuff.
Oh, cold ethyl, that is a huge amount of angst to be dealing with.
Yet you continue with the exercise, and the healthy eating. Also, I am pleased to notice that I am not the only one persisting with the Pilates. I always thought that exercise only counted if it gave a cardio workout, but this Pilates stuff, is not as easy as it looks. Hoping it will live up to strengthening of core muscles, easing pain, and calming me and you too.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you shared all that Pipp. I wasn't aware of that thread but am all too aware of how quickly forum threads can descend into the personal attack as I go on a lot. Sometimes the medium itself lends itself to a high handed tone but more often than not some folk are just spoiling for a fight for whatever reason. I've learned to step back as the only person that gets hurt is me when I get drawn in, and some people aren't worth wasting any of the remaining breaths I have left on this earth.
I've found you courteous, willing to listen and share and more than that, an inspiration to keep going when I've not felt like bothering. There are a lot of people on this forum that should be proud of themselves and their achievements but don't seem able to see it for themselves. I am beginning to wonder if, for many of the women on hére, myself included, that is one of the reasons we've ended up as overweight T2s? Far easier to comfort oneself with food than to face up to issues of low self -esteem, emotional and physical hurt etc.
Anyway onwards and downwards xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Pilates certainly isn't easy. I get my breathing muddied up but I keep going. It is good for my back and tummy muscles which have been rubbish since pregnancy many years ago. I also try and add in a few of your physio exercises when I'm standing or just sitting as every kitties must add up.

I have bought myself a Mjndfulness workbook so am hoping that can be part of the new me too, though I've already got cross with the choice of a raisin for the mindful eating meditation and substituted it with a Brazil nut!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Pilates certainly isn't easy. I get my breathing muddied up but I keep going. It is good for my back and tummy muscles which have been rubbish since pregnancy many years ago. I also try and add in a few of your physio exercises when I'm standing or just sitting as every kitties must add up.

I have bought myself a Mjndfulness workbook so am hoping that can be part of the new me too, though I've already got cross with the choice of a raisin for the mindful eating meditation and substituted it with a Brazil nut!!
Exactly my thoughts too. Exercise can be slotted in to any few minutes even if sitting down watching TV. Well that is my excuse. I just have to make sure I am not in the way of the screen when others want to watch something. The chair based exercises are not going to burn a massive amount of calories, but they will stop or slow muscle wastage for anyone not able to do more. I persevere with them and Pilates in the hope that they will enable me to remain primed ready for the days when I am able to do something a bit more active.

The mindful eating is a good idea too. All too often in our busy lives we just chuck some convenient grub down us in order to get on with other stuff. Do you take time to just concentrate on what you are eating without other distractions? It sounds like a good way to be a bit focussed on oneself. Important, as we often forget to just stop and be in the moment.

Reactions: 6 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
..Pipp, your thread was very moving [1565 in case anyone missed it, haven't quoted], I think you're doing really well as it would have been so easy to give in but you're made of stronger stuff we can all tell...I find it quite hard to keep up with the exercise and I don't have any underlying problems, what I have is just laziness syndrome lol, now being corrected by Jamrox's thread....:)

Cold Ethyl, I have white coat syndrome too...when my GP even mentions blood pressure it shoots up, so bought a home monitor and showed him the listings...I do need bp tablets but its not as high as surgery recordings made out!

25 minute walk, twist board and some skipping today...

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I try and just eat now whereas before I'd be on laptop or ipad at same time. Given I eat much less now I want to savour it.
I'm hoping the mindfulness will help with the anxiety as I need to learn to be in the moment and not always wondering what if ....it helped my son with his OCD and so far it makes sense. It's just finding time to practice but like the chair exercises there are short minute long meditations you can do anywhere. I'm trying to see diagnosis as a new start for me in so many ways and this is part of it.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pollylocks I even get white coat syndrome at home.. Just getting the monitor out sets it off so I'm hoping that he is happy with my readings and leaves me alone. I have to go on 7th July for nurse to check me and I'll take my readings along - was 180/80 last time after massive panic attack but in hospital was only 138/69 which should be ok as my old GP was happy with 140/80.i think the difference is that in a and e you are on one if those automatic BP readers and yo've no idea when it is going to take it so can't panic about it too much.w

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Gardening, weeding, planting, pruning, so upside down I have indigestion ! 3 hours later, cleaning shower and spa, and no asthma from cleaner!
Then, blew it all and ate wrong things, anxiety per usual, but I'll try again tomorrow and rereading the positives on this blog, and behave myself with food, suppose I could be excused for eating junk on my birthday, but, well, me bad, but determined to keep going!
Happy Birthday Gillie Ruth. xx

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
OK, I've done 40 minutes ironing and emptied that laundry basket, so that's my lot for today. May go out for a long walk with hubby later today, he seems to think it's a good idea, but I did have other plans...so we'll see.

Oh I dream of an empty ironing basket....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
That is more than my dream Pipp. Alas my husband needs shirts for work , he does most of the cooking so I iron

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My activity time today was late. Just completed 22 minutes trundling around the garden with a mini watering can giving the neglected plants a drink. Was very pleasant now it is cooler, so to reward myself I got a can of gin and diet tonic from the fridge. Couldn't drink it until I had completed the allotted time, so used the garden furniture as support did some bench presses, hula hoop moves, leg lifts, lunges. Took 12 mins to complete. I sat enjoying the reward listening to the birds and enjoying the scents of the grateful lavender plants. Oh yes, I was in my pyjamas too. Thought about you lot and the nightie dancing, but didn't bother having a go as I was too busy with feet up enjoying my drink.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is more than my dream Pipp. Alas my husband needs shirts for work , he does most of the cooking so I iron

Ah yes. I remember those pre-retirement days. Not exactly with fondness. We just wash and wear unless there is somewhere we need to go dressed up. Doesn't happen much though.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Bebo321 lol No, I haven't gone mad! This is something I've always wanted to do since I was in my late 20's, I just never got around to it. Yesterday when you suggested I do something just for me, maybe something creative, I thought for ages and there's nothing I really want to do except read the books I have just bought myself and try to jog. The older I get the harder it's going to be to start, so after what you said yesterday I decided it's now or never. So if I have gone mad.....I'm blaming you, it was your idea!

Seriously...thank you for saying what you did
:joyful::happy::D:)
Welcome to the crazy gang. x