'Fat' comment, feeling low, no one understands it

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sounds like a nice name. Never heard it before. Sorry didn't mean to be creepy.
No problem ! I get asked that a lot :)
It's Scandinavian, and means something like "Victory ". My mum is Dutch but the family originated in Norway, and the name is a family one :)

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How is it pronounced?

It's pronounced something like "Sing nee " I think Sigourney may be a derivation of this ?
Apologies to Shelley for the diversion off topic! It happens a lot as you will see :D

I hope you are feeling happier today ? It sounds like you have a wonderful husband, sending you such a sweet text :)

I really do think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we are much dictated to by "fashion" and the Cult of Celebrity. . To Rubens, today's "desirable" would have been of no interest whatsoever ;)

nicole_richie_skinny.jpg

Nichole Ritchie ... I rest my case. Poor lass :(

Signy

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
hi all,

I am not sure where I should have posted this but just needed a rant really.

I am Type 1.

yesterday it was our childrens christening.

my father in law made a comment to me that has left me crying pretty much all day. Although i held it together yesterday.

I had been mingling with guests and realised I hadn't eaten and in passing I said to the table where my father-in-law was sitting that i was hungry and was going to go an grab something to eat to which he replied "yes, no wonder you are looking fat".

my little boy is 1 and I am well aware since having him and being diagnosed type 1 the weight is coming off very slowly, but my diabetic nurse was more than happy at last check (my hba1c is 5.4).

I dont feel very confident all the time anymore and hate the things people cant see like the odd little bruise on tummy from injecting etc etc.

I feel pathetic today because I cant stop crying. Its really upset me and to make matters worse no one seems to appreciate why.

my own Mom even said well it wasn't a lie, you have put on weight, dont take it to heart.

sometimes i just wish people appreciated and understood what its like.

sorry for the random rant, I thought getting it off my chest might help me.

Shelley x

It seems like everyone has said what they can to be supportive, I just wanted to chime in and say that your Hba1c is awesome and don't lose sight of keeping it that way :).

saloplass

HI, Ignore your FIL - I ignored mine for nearly 40 years! People will never understand diabetes and what it does, they are not educated. Just like yourself, and count your blessings, your HbA1c reading is great - never let the words of others put you down. :cat:

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A short sharp smack across the face would probably help him to refrain from uncalled for comments in the future.. :)