An open letter to my liver ...

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
(TIC)

Dear liver,

I know you've been treated badly in recent years, a bit too much alcohol at times, erratic meals, accumulation of visceral fat and so on. But now after a few months you must have realised that there have been some fundamental changes around here. Much less sugar and carbohydrate, regular meals, more exercise, a bit less weight.

So with that in mind:

Could you please stop dumping glucose first thing in the morning; I may have been bad at having breakfast in the past, but you can be reassured that I will provide some energy after showering. You don't need to keep assuming that I'll rush off to work without eating first. I'm sure the pancreas next door will also appreciate this, you must know it's a bit fragile these days and would prefer not to have unnecessary demands put on it.

It must have been a bit of a shock to realise that sugar intake to the bloodstream dropped suddenly because of the much reduced carbohydrate intake. You may have decided to overcompensate by producing more yourself but it's really not necessary thank you.

And finally, you know I'm exercising more to lose weight. I try to do that to make efficient use of the glucose in my blood, but I don't plan on exercising all day. So when I stop after reducing the glucose, and I don't eat immediately, there's no need to produce more thinking it's going to be needed continuously.

Thank you for your attention and cooperation. If there's anything else you need to know, just ask, don't assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 29 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well worth printing out and sticking up on the fridge I think - my liver's always moaning that my throat must have been cut when I get up, have a bath, and then and only then make breakfast... I reckon they must be in collusion?

Infuriaiting isn't it!

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love it Rod. Brilliant. :D

Why not give your liver a shock in the morning and have breakfast in your jim jams before you shower? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 people

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
Great letter and great post. :D

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I know how you feel. 8.1 yesterday and 7.7 today! Have also put on pound this week even though I'm doing all the right things. Am going to up liquid! That would be water not wine although I gave into temptation and had a g&t yesterday. :(

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Great post, Thank you:)
If your Liver could write, I wonder what the reply would be.
Now im going to be thinking about that all day Thanks :wacky:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great post, Thank you:)
If your Liver could write, I wonder what the reply would be.
Now im going to be thinking about that all day Thanks :wacky:
I can just hear his liver poking out its tongue and saying "You're not the boss of me" :p

Reactions: 4 people

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Rod, it is your liver here... I don't need to tell you I behave thoughtlessly at times but its only because I love you :) I constantly worry about you, let's be fair you never used to look after me properly so I had to take matters into my own hands, I don't want your brain to be foggy as I know you have to get to work in the morning, and I'm a bit of a 'feeder' so I can go OTT and you've really confused me by changing your lifestyle, but I'm proud you have. So, maybe you could give me a little heads up, even if you don't feel like it, how about a quarter of your breakfast before showering? Or perhaps a mini snack before bed? Its a learning curve for all of us. Keep up the good work, we're getting there :)

Reactions: 12 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Excellent Jules! :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant. I'm thinking along same lines as my liver seems to think that if I get up to go to the bathroom at 6.00 am then a three course breakfast should be on table and eaten by 6.30 or else it's going to dump dump dump. It's nearly always my highest reading of day.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(TIC)

Dear liver,

I know you've been treated badly in recent years, a bit too much alcohol at times, erratic meals, accumulation of visceral fat and so on. But now after a few months you must have realised that there have been some fundamental changes around here. Much less sugar and carbohydrate, regular meals, more exercise, a bit less weight.

So with that in mind:

Could you please stop dumping glucose first thing in the morning; I may have been bad at having breakfast in the past, but you can be reassured that I will provide some energy after showering. You don't need to keep assuming that I'll rush off to work without eating first. I'm sure the pancreas next door will also appreciate this, you must know it's a bit fragile these days and would prefer not to have unnecessary demands put on it.

It must have been a bit of a shock to realise that sugar intake to the bloodstream dropped suddenly because of the much reduced carbohydrate intake. You may have decided to overcompensate by producing more yourself but it's really not necessary thank you.

And finally, you know I'm exercising more to lose weight. I try to do that to make efficient use of the glucose in my blood, but I don't plan on exercising all day. So when I stop after reducing the glucose, and I don't eat immediately, there's no need to produce more thinking it's going to be needed continuously.

Thank you for your attention and cooperation. If there's anything else you need to know, just ask, don't assume.

LOL Brilliant Sanguine.

But you know what Livers are like... ;):D

Hello Brain,

“Don’t assume”??!!

I can appreciate that’s your job to "assume" & after an emotional day you “clock off” leaving me to carry the night shift pretty much working as a Biochemist taking care of some of your more intoxicating decisions hurried through the end of your day..

Let me just run a brief breakdown of my job description.

I break down fat and compounds such as lipoproteins, cholesterol and phospholipids.

I remove harmful toxins and substances that enter your blood stream.

I Filter the blood, remove dead cells and invading bacteria, process nitrogen and cholesterol and neutralise harmful hormones. All the unwanted substances and toxins are then quickly transported to intestine or kidneys for disposal.

Might I just add that that Kidneys support has been out standing, but Intestine like myself is pretty sick of all this “****”..
Quite frankly I find the shift handover hard work in the morning & felt a little sugar dump would ease the proceedings..?

On a personal note a couple of opportunities have come up with positions vacant for a Footballer & a Race car driver.
Both of which better paid!
There was also an advert for a dynamic & challenging job at Neverland Ranch? But that position is no longer needed.

Quite frankly I’m spitting bile here.

Liver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dear Rod, it is your liver here... I don't need to tell you I behave thoughtlessly at times but its only because I love you :) I constantly worry about you, let's be fair you never used to look after me properly so I had to take matters into my own hands, I don't want your brain to be foggy as I know you have to get to work in the morning, and I'm a bit of a 'feeder' so I can go OTT and you've really confused me by changing your lifestyle, but I'm proud you have. So, maybe you could give me a little heads up, even if you don't feel like it, how about a quarter of your breakfast before showering? Or perhaps a mini snack before bed? Its a learning curve for all of us. Keep up the good work, we're getting there :)

Dear Liver

Thanks for that, I'm sorry about the bad years, no excuses, just ignorance on my part in the main (OK a bit of denial thrown in) but I'm really glad you are still on my side. Maybe I dropped the carbs too quickly and caught you by surprise? It seemed OK from this end. And I hope you're losing fat in there as I am out here. I've cut right back on the alcohol but I will have the odd glass of red wine with food and the occasional beer, hope that's OK with you. I'll give this early breakfast and maybe bedtime snack a go as well, we can work together on this. Another thing, what's with this increase in blood glucose due to showering? It's only a bit of soap and warm water!

How is pancreas by the way? He seems to be still sulking after I treated him even worse than you - the poor thing tried so hard to keep up with no complaints that I was aware of, then he just had this, well, breakdown. I'm trying really hard to make life easier for him now, and it would be great if you can do the same. I'd write to him direct but I don't think he can read. Put in a good word will you?

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Love that Jaylee LOL

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love that Jaylee LOL

After 38 years of not filling the full time Pancreas position, i feel the supporting organs have done a great job..!
Personally i wish i could show the liver a little more appreciation..

I did splash out & get it some chocolate body paint as a "secret santa" once. But HR came down on me deeming this as inappropriate... :p

Reactions: 2 people