Am I Classed as disabled now I have diabetes ?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it, one of the criteria for a Blue Badge is receipt of the higher level of the mobility component of DLA, but I think it is also allowed on the issuing authority recieving a letter from the applicants GP or consultant. I may be wrong though, as I'm dredging my memory of a Blue Badge for my Gran, and that was a few years ago.

Signy

http://www.disabledmotoring.org/blu...Ub2TWsdrF7TR2KYrnW_o4gT5q4btQO3Jsl8NraXHw_wcB

I like to check things, LOL !

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Ok, yes I'm diabetic, but I don't consider myself disabled because of it. I get low rate DLA, not because of my diabetes, but because I no fingers on my left hand caused by a morning sickness drug, but once again I do not consider myself disabled. I've never had it, so I've never missed, but I am classed in the states eyes as being disabled, but I drive a manual car, I've completed an outward bound course in Wales, rock climbing, absailing etc and I've also done the Number 1 para assault course in Aldershot. The state view I need help with cutting and chopping stuff because I can't grip, to do those things. That's it.

Reactions: 5 people

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
There are people with diabetes who are athletes. Footballers as well. One who springs to mind was Danny McGrain who was type 1 and played successfully for Celtic & Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_McGrain
Why do people always roll out that same old chestnut ? Every diabetic has their own level of ability most not down to how much effort they put in or determination. Yes there have been a few good athletes who are diabetic. I personally am disabled due to various complications I have eventually developed from diabetes (not down to bad control), I hate it when people say " diabetics can do whatever they want, they use it as an excuse".

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not everyone has issues, due to diabetes, but if problems caused by such & such before hand. My mother had no idea that the tablets she took cased kidney problems in my son, I told her last year my son is now 14 and that the tablets she took had been linked to causing diabetes, think how **** I felt admitting that. So Dave your comments hold no water look up Debendox and see what it's done. It just needs every diabetic to to try, when I cut frozen chicken it makes 10 times the amount of frozen chicken because Debendox caused my hand and diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Not everyone has issues, due to diabetes, but if problems caused by such & such before hand. My mother had no idea that the tablets she took cased kidney problems in my son, I told her last year my son is now 14 and that the tablets she took had been linked to causing diabetes, think how **** I felt admitting that. So Dave your comments hold no water look up Debendox and see what it's done. It just needs every diabetic to to try, when I cut frozen chicken it makes 10 times the amount of frozen chicken because Debendox caused my hand and diabetes.
?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
this is a question and and answer to Dave, who said everyone rolls out, not everyone does. Some people have issues caused by an outside influence which I as a diabetic had no control over. The tablets my mother took has been proven to cause diabetes by an outside influence I'm one of them. If my mother hadn't taken those tabs I prob wouldn't be type 1, but tabs linked to diabetes,kidney probs( son) and heart probs ( daughter)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Like my cousin with her mum taking thalidomide back in 60's...i am really sorry to hear that there are still drugs that are given to pregnant wonen that can cause such devastating affects still. Truly, I wasn't aware of that.

It sounds as if you have done all you can do to NOT be classified as 'disabled' and that should be greatly admired.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I understand it, one of the criteria for a Blue Badge is receipt of the higher level of the mobility component of DLA, but I think it is also allowed on the issuing authority recieving a letter from the applicants GP or consultant. I may be wrong though, as I'm dredging my memory of a Blue Badge for my Gran, and that was a few years ago.

Signy
Disabled Parking Badges - commonly known as Blue Badges used to be controlled by your local council and your GP. Now they are produced by a central government agency. An automatic BB can be issued if someone is on a certain benefit, higher rate mobility DLA (PIP) for example or registered blind. However if you do not get one of these benefits then the decision is made by an Occupational Therapist from your local Adult Social Care Team. An assessment takes place and then they will decide if you qualify for a badge. I know that some people think it unfair that someone who does not know you or how you may suffer with mobility makes this decision, but having worked in this area for many years it is clear that some GP's will just sign anything to get a patient out of the room! I have seen BB holders run for a bus or out of the way of car when crossing the street. Clearly they neither qualify for or need a badge.

A BB is valid for 3 years, so the person whose friend did not want to give it up will have to eventually. Personally I would have advised him to give it up as he DOES NOT NEED IT and others do and I have even reported those who are using a BB when they no longer need them. Councils used to have the right to allow short term BB's for those recovering from operations but now they are produced centrally this is too much work!

The BB system is good and does work but it is abused every day and it is really stealing as you are parking for free instead of in a car park and paying for it. Also these people are using a space that a disabled person needs. Also it is very common for the 'designated driver' to use the BB when the disabled person isn't with them, some people just use them a license to park. It is like parents parking in the 'pushchair' spots in supermarkets when they don't have children with them.

Had my rant about this now, makes my blood boil when I know that some people who do need them have to apply 3 or 4 times before they get one.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Disabled Parking Badges - commonly known as Blue Badges used to be controlled by your local council and your GP. Now they are produced by a central government agency. An automatic BB can be issued if someone is on a certain benefit, higher rate mobility DLA (PIP) for example or registered blind. However if you do not get one of these benefits then the decision is made by an Occupational Therapist from your local Adult Social Care Team. An assessment takes place and then they will decide if you qualify for a badge. I know that some people think it unfair that someone who does not know you or how you may suffer with mobility makes this decision, but having worked in this area for many years it is clear that some GP's will just sign anything to get a patient out of the room! I have seen BB holders run for a bus or out of the way of car when crossing the street. Clearly they neither qualify for or need a badge.

A BB is valid for 3 years, so the person whose friend did not want to give it up will have to eventually. Personally I would have advised him to give it up as he DOES NOT NEED IT and others do and I have even reported those who are using a BB when they no longer need them. Councils used to have the right to allow short term BB's for those recovering from operations but now they are produced centrally this is too much work!

The BB system is good and does work but it is abused every day and it is really stealing as you are parking for free instead of in a car park and paying for it. Also these people are using a space that a disabled person needs. Also it is very common for the 'designated driver' to use the BB when the disabled person isn't with them, some people just use them a license to park. It is like parents parking in the 'pushchair' spots in supermarkets when they don't have children with them.

Had my rant about this now, makes my blood boil when I know that some people who do need them have to apply 3 or 4 times before they get one.

Thank you for your clarification :)
One point I would like to mention in regard to seeming abuse - sometimes a person's condition is variable from day to day or not immediately obvious. For example, I have one friend in possession of a Blue Badge who has multiple sclerosis. On a good day, she can appear almost fit and well, but to walk a short distance can mean she spends the rest of the day in bed through fatigue. Another could seemingly walk well, but was on dialysis pending a transplant and also became very fatigued:(

I'm aware that there ARE abuses of the system, the same as in other areas, but I would be hesitant about reporting someone as it isn't always obvious as to why they have a Blue Badge.

Signy

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Donnellysdogs , the drug that my mum took was made before Tholiadamide , but on the market afterwards, by the company Merrel Dow, they used to make Oil of Ulay. But the falsified FDA testing. Arthur Haily wrote a book called Strong Medicine, based on Denendox(UK name) called Bendectin ( in the States). A mini series was made staring Patrick Duffy ( Dallas) shown every where but Canda the last to ban the use. In 1987 over 800 children were affected by it alone, in the UK, but like Tholiadamide , it it goes on to the next generation, caused my son's kidney problems and my daughters heart defect. And now put back into use. Debendox started of as a 3 part drug, but when it caused problems in the States, they made a 2 part drug, but shipped the 3 part to Europe, which I was one of those affected born in the 70's , 9 children were born at the same time with varying limb problem, the hospital held an internal investigation as to why, but never made it public, someone my family knew, a person that worked at the Hosp & they informed my family of it. Ps thanks DD.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Donnellysdogs , the drug that my mum took was made before Tholiadamide , but on the market afterwards, by the company Merrel Dow, they used to make Oil of Ulay. But the falsified FDA testing. Arthur Haily wrote a book called Strong Medicine, based on Denendox(UK name) called Bendectin ( in the States). A mini series was made staring Patrick Duffy ( Dallas) shown every where but Canda the last to ban the use. In 1987 over 800 children were affected by it alone, but like Tholiadamide , it it goes on to the next generation, caused my son's kidney problems and my daughters heart defect.

Crikey Julie..that is absolutely staggering. Didn't even realise drug effects could still go down to the next generation.

You have taught me a lot from your postings.. Thank you. Of course, I wish you and family best wishes... But many thanks for educating me...

Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Crikey Julie..that is absolutely staggering. Didn't even realise drug effects could still go down to the next generation.

You have taught me a lot from your postings.. Thank you. Of course, I wish you and family best wishes... But many thanks for educating me...

DD, your post has made me cry. I don't post to educate, I post from personal experience. The heart defect in my daughter, had to have her transferred a 180 mile round trip from where I was, so I got my first cuddle at 5 days old :-(. Her artery was widened at 4 months old and open heart at 8 months. They are still considering what to do with my son's kidney as it's not working, he's now 14, but if bp goes up on a regular basis and headaches, they will remove it( touch wood, no probs yet). My mum knew about my daughter as she looked on line, but didn't look at my son's kidney probs, so I admitted a year ago, what it had done. She felt guilty enough about me and my daughter, so that was hard to tell her. Sometimes I would like to be able to hold their hands fully, but that's a wish I know I will never get. But also links to causing diabetes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I can't write the words I would like to, truly heart warming though in many aspects as you are an exceptional person to not let circumstances to prevent you doing anything...

Reactions: 4 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you DD, I will try anything and I've never been wrapped in cotton wool, when I was diagnosed steel syringes were still being used, but to heavy for me. So given plastic, my parents were running back wards and fore wards to Roehampton limb fitting centre, to see if they could make something to help me draw up. But they didn't need to as I had already mastered it and injecting. I just had to get plastic syringes from the ward as they weren't on prescription at that time,
I was going away with a box of 200, unless the ward called saying they needed some back. The only thing I can't do is knit or make loom bands, but daughters doing the latter lol.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you DD, I try to do my best, a few of the kids at work like my left hand and they take it, in their hands I work in infants, and they seem to life the feeling of me moving my hand in theirs, I work in a special needs school. At 19 got told couldn't work in a physically handicapped school even thou spent a year in the same school on YTS. Then told couldn't work as a trainee nurse as couldn't lift, said just completed moving and handling course, then told could couldn't inject, told them in no uncertain terms they were talking out their a**e, as type1 on daily injections. So turned my hand to office work and recently back to working with children which I love.

Reactions: 4 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's correct Brett. So, even though by law we have a disability, unless it affects your mobility, you won't get a badge. Having said that, I don't actually know what the mobility criteria is. Maybe someone else can help ?

Basically, Mo, it involves how far you can walk or lift and use your arms before you feel discomfort, in a nutshell. I have a blue badge because of arthritis in my spine which affects all limbs in different ways, including standing and walking. They have tightened up the rules since I had my first one many years ago as the system was being abused.