Another point of view

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am the third T2 diabetic in a direct line and it's probable my Great Grandmother was one more.
I stayed this weekend with my mother, who is aged 90(91 next month) she insists that having 2 slices of toast for brakfast anda couple of sandwiches for her evening meal is fine and won't bother testing her blood as the doctor does it often enough. She wouldn't try my Fergus bread, as she no longer tries new things.
I think I've persuaded her to take the Metformin she was sent by the doctor, because I told her it would probably solve her chronic consttipation.
I can understand that a 90+ year old probably hasn't got time to develop many complications.
BUT my mother was the definition of the "fount of all knowledge and determined wooden headedness" when I was young. she's only got worse.
If doctors see many like her, I don't wonder they don't even consider some of the things we discuss on this forum.
Needless to say, I cannot possibly know more about diabetic diet than my mother's doctor, or her T2 next door neightbour,

Aadrgon

Fortunately you do know better and will not be as stubborn in you old age
( many years away I'm sure ) :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Thanks Aardrgon
Fortunately, although I look VERY like my mother, I have my late father's temperament. Even my mother agrees on this, whilst she's telling me how much nicer a person my brother is and how like her. He, of course, looks like our father. :D
Father was very amiable and gentle.

Trinkwasser

Mothers! <sigh>

Mine treats me more like a ten year old now than she did when I actually WAS ten. I think she's regressing back to the days when she taught a whole classroom full of ten year olds, she feels at home with me because I am 5 1/2 ten year olds

She used to be hugely intelligent but increasingly sterotyped behaviours are taking over. She's turning into her own mother . . .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ah ,that day dawns when we all pause after saying something and think, 'Oh my God,i sound just like my Mother' !! :D

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
My Nan was the same but she was type 1,she all ways had wheat a bix in the morning,some thing and potatoes at dinner and whole meal sandwiches at tea and snacked on plain rich tea she was with us till last year she was 90,my Aunty is 69 and type 2 on the same diet as my nan,i've only got to give a sly look at a spud and bs is sky high not far, :cry: shan x

Jay3109

Of course if I was being very mischieveous I might say that seeing these grand old ladies reaching wonderful advanced old age on the 'classic' carb diet makes me wonder if it is really so bad after all... :wink: :wink: *ducks quickly behind sofa to avoid bricks...*

martinbuchan

I spy on a diabeologisls' forum- they seem to treat at this age if they have hyperglycaemia symptoms eg lethargy, nocturia (peeing at night), thirst etc. Whatever works for her works obviuosly.

On the aside, they also seem to believe that the improvements in outcomes and complications (eg kidney and eye damage, heart complications) could be equally attributed to blood pressure control and statins etc and not only due to HBA1c improvements. The feeling is that tight control (what we all think we need) is not necessarily associated with an improvement in mortality rates. Ir may well be more risky for people in their 90s be over treated in a dogmatic way. I wont get to my 90s- she is doing something right.

Trinkwasser

Do any of the diabetologists have any opinions of diet other than the Heart Healthy High Carb Low Fat abortion?

Opinion elsewhere is that throwing medication at an inappropriate diet is one reason why ACCORD etc. show the results they do. No-one actually seems to study diabetics who have achieved good control, an A1c of 8 is marginally better than 9 but who looks at those in the 5% Club (or for Type 1s the 6% Club)?

sixfoot

Dear Trink with a few exeptions if you follow the Healthy plate route you will almost certainly need meds which will generate a return for the providers. I see that there is an article on the front page of this site.

Should you follow diligence and diet you are not profitable because nobody makes any money out of you.

Having said that,I`m feeling a bit guilty now in these hard times because i just dumped 3.5st and realise that i am being counter productive and am putting economic recovery at risk by not needing so much meds. Perhaps i need to have a Patriotic PigOut for the sake of the Nation.

Dave P

Trinkwasser

sixfoot said:
Dear Trink with a few exeptions if you follow the Healthy plate route you will almost certainly need meds which will generate a return for the providers. I see that there is an article on the front page of this site.

Should you follow diligence and diet you are not profitable because nobody makes any money out of you.

Having said that,I`m feeling a bit guilty now in these hard times because i just dumped 3.5st and realise that i am being counter productive and am putting economic recovery at risk by not needing so much meds. Perhaps i need to have a Patriotic PigOut for the sake of the Nation.

Dave P

You're as cynical as me! Now get on your carbs and eat your statin.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Heaven forbid someone should be as cynical as you Trink! My gran was also of the same school as Hana's mum, she lived on sandwiches, meat veg and boiled potatoes, rich tea biscuits with her endless cups of tea (with one sugar in). She lived to 84 but had gangrene in her foot and was totally blind at the end. We had the pleasure of her company for 7 years before she moved into a nursing home, and with my (undiagnosed) autistic younger brother and epileptic older brother, that was a childhood and a half! She also was the stubbornest person I have ever met and unfortunately my autistic teenager seems to be taking after her!

sixfoot

Trink ..............remember were are all different and what works for you may not work for someone else. :D ( sounds familiar )

Dave P