Needing some weight!

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Has anyone had trouble putting weight on from diagnosis etc? I'm struggling to put weight back on since I came out of hospital 11 months ago. In fact I think I'm starting to loose weight. My bloods are generally ok with some hypers throughout the week/s.(I'm still honeymooning) I'm on very little insulin at the mo. 2 units lantus at night and 1 unit with 30-40g of carbs.

I've been told by my dietician to eat more protein between meals for calories but I'm not sure this is working? I've totally cut out chocolate and refined sugers so perhaps this is why? Or should I be eating more carbs?

Thanks

Louise

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gained weight immediately after being diagnosed 5 months ago, but have since lost weight, and it's continuing to drop.
I'm now 10 stone 9. I was 12 stone before the onset of diabetes.
I've put it down to cutting out all the sweets, biscuits etc., being far more aware of what I'm now eating, and trying to keep my carb intake lowish.
I believe the daily recommended amount of carbs. for an adult is between 130g and 225g depending on how active you are.
Have you been told by your GP or consultant that you need to gain weight? If not and you feel OK, I wouldn't worry too much, unless the weight loss begins to cause physical problems.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
more carbs is the opposite of what the dieters are doing here, so that's what I would do, 50% fat and 50% carb is suppose to be the ideal processed food ratio to get us into the mood for seconds

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do increase the proteins and fats. As you are on insulin, increasing the carbs a bit might make sense as you can increase the insulin to match

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try snacking on some nuts or seeds between meals, you may/may not have to bolus for them but if you do be careful as stacking insulin doses can lead to problems.

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gained weight immediately after being diagnosed 5 months ago, but have since lost weight, and it's continuing to drop.
I'm now 10 stone 9. I was 12 stone before the onset of diabetes.
I've put it down to cutting out all the sweets, biscuits etc., being far more aware of what I'm now eating, and trying to keep my carb intake lowish.
I believe the daily recommended amount of carbs. for an adult is between 130g and 225g depending on how active you are.
Have you been told by your GP or consultant that you need to gain weight? If not and you feel OK, I wouldn't worry too much, unless the weight loss begins to cause physical problems.
I've been told by my GP that I'm under weight. I weigh 7st 8 (48kg) and I'm 5ft 6. I'm not really worried just concerned as like you gained a bit coming out of hospital now it's dropping off and I'm struggling to put it back on. I've lost 2 pound in just over a month. I'm only having around 90-100g of carbs a day so maybe I need to up this. It's difficult at the moment as my DSN has put me on 30-40g carbs per meal for 1 unit which we know I will not hypo on. It's difficult at the moment as I'm still honeymooning.

Thanks for the advice ☺️

L

Charlie500

I was the same after diagnosis! My weight plummeted down to about 5stone when I was diagnosed at the age of 14, 8 years on I'm now 8.4 stone and 5"7, I've put on just over a stone in the last 6 years. Considering the amount of food I eat I just don't seem to gain any weight!
After years and years of listening to people tell me I was too thin/skinny, even strangers I eventually learned that that was my natural body shape and there was nothing wrong with it! I'm my heaviest now and I've been on an insulin pump for the last year though you don't sound like you would need a pump you're on such a small bolus scheme.
I know it's not advice as such but I hope my experience is a small help to you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

QuirkyBit86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I've always been quite thin but as I was diagnosed when I was 2 its hard to know if its because of diabetes. I've found that doing a little exercise has, oddly, helped put some weight on. I have put 1.5 stone on in the last year because of it. Apparently muscle is more dense than fat...or something like that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App