Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for posting the update, glad your boyfriend got you there and hope you feel better soon, let us know how the support and aftercare goes too x

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good on your boyfriend for dragging you there and even better on you to let him.
Glad to hear that you are getting the immediate issues sorted out.

I do hope that they don't launch into lecture mode with you but actually take the time to listen and understand where you actually are so that they can help you better.

Please do keep us updated as you go along and I hope that you get better quickly and back out of hospital soon.

/A

Reactions: 2 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, this is the first I've been on. Been pretty much asleep for 2 days. My boyfriend dragged me kicking and screaming to hospital, where I still am. Heading in the right direction though, sorry to have worried anyone

How are you doing?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogance, Selfishness, Ignorance
Still not quite 100%, had a few arguments over taking the insulin but only missed 2 injections so far... getting back on track but now suffering conjunctivitis, never easy eh?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im shocked by these events..........

2 years with no insulin, I am pretty sure this would have killed the majority of us........

glad to hear your getting treatment in hospital.....

has the constant high sugars not effected your day to day life? what about your energy levels? toilet trips? the list can go on......

is your diabulimia been or being treated..........?

must be hard to break a long term habit of not taking any insulin.....

i hope you recover quickly......:)

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi huni, so glad you are feeling better & getting back on track. I'm only type 2 on meds & some days just having to take my meds twice a day can seem like a huge deal, so I can only imagine how having to inject several times a day can be overwhelming sometimes. But you're getting there huni.

Take care of yourself

Smartie xx

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still not quite 100%, had a few arguments over taking the insulin but only missed 2 injections so far... getting back on track but now suffering conjunctivitis, never easy eh?
Looks like that pain was a blessing in disguise. Missing 2 shots is a win in comparison, well done and to contradict myself, It's ok just taking it one meal at a time too.

have you thought about low carb? Get your Basal done and then it's just bolus for 15-20g of carb in a meal. If you're having a bad day and miss a bolus shot. it's not that big of a deal.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Im shocked by these events..........

2 years with no insulin, I am pretty sure this would have killed the majority of us........

glad to hear your getting treatment in hospital.....

has the constant high sugars not effected your day to day life? what about your energy levels? toilet trips? the list can go on......

is your diabulimia been or being treated..........?

must be hard to break a long term habit of not taking any insulin.....

i hope you recover quickly......:)

Yeah - pain, extreme lethargy, everything you'd expect. The moodswings were unbelievable (I say were, they're still pretty bad when I'm having one of my 'angry at the world' days as my partner calls them!)

No, haven't seen anyone for the diabulimia yet, still waiting to hear about an appointment for the diabetes clinic - I moved house so waiting on my care being transferred.

Yeah it's hard, really hard, but I'm trying my hardest. It's not something I'm ever going to enjoy and I doubt I'll ever fully recover but I'm giving it a good shot!

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Looks like that pain was a blessing in disguise. Missing 2 shots is a win in comparison, well done and to contradict myself, It's ok just taking it one meal at a time too.

have you thought about low carb? Get your Basal done and then it's just bolus for 15-20g of carb in a meal. If you're having a bad day and miss a bolus shot. it's not that big of a deal.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Looks like it. Though I've put a wee bitty weight on, trying not to think about it! See I wish I could, but I'm a bit of a carb junkie - just can't give up potatoes!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
caity.x I know about potato, you are preaching to the choir. The main thing is you don't put yourself under stress, let it work out over time
Carbs are addictive and the more you eat, the more you want but I honestly don't crave it any more http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

You will put on needed healthy weight. even though the numbers are saying your normal, it can be too quick and you don't recognise yourself in the mirror, it takes a while for the body image to catch up with the new healthy you
I didn't mean LCHF to lose weight but as a way to minimise your insulin needs, you can actually put weight on with LCHF or you can stabalise it for a while and let the body image catch up

Last edited by a moderator:

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's not even about the craving, it's just one of those foods that I love, always have. Ahh see, I think you may be spot on. People are saying I look better but all see is flab... maybe a wee counselling session wouldn't go amiss!

Reactions: 5 people

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not even about the craving, it's just one of those foods that I love, always have. Ahh see, I think you may be spot on. People are saying I look better but all see is flab... maybe a wee counselling session wouldn't go amiss!
I hope you feel better. I'm currently struggling aswell for different reasons but feel your pain. It will get better this is what I keep telling myself. It's not an easy condition to live with. Once you get support from the medical team things will start to look up. Wishing you all the best. It's a good thing you went to the hospital. Take care L

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear that you are making progress.
It is tough and taking it all a day or meal at a time is probably not a bad idea for now.
The initial weight gain is actually to be expected since you were probably really quite dehydrated so a large chunk will have simply been your body getting its hydration levels back to where they should be.
Hope that things settle a bit for you and you are able to find something that works for you.

All the best

Shinglis

Cavity you look like a lovely girl in your picture. Keep it that way, don't let diabetes spoil them with issues like your conjunctivitis etc. get some counselling to help you accept your diabetes and bulimia issues. I know our clinic as a permanent psychologist perhaps yours will to. Confront them before it's too late. Engage the help of your boyfriend he obviously cares and would love to help I'm sure. Take care.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi caity

I'm so pleased to hear you are getting things sorted.

As someone who has lived with diabulimia and anorexia it is a really difficult combination of problems to unravel. It took a long time with help from an an eating disorders clinic and and my diabetes team for me to start to get things better organised in my mind. I eat only small amounts of carbs so I only need small boluses, I can cope with this, it's worked for a good few years now.

It made me smile reading your reaction to people saying you look better. I still interpret "you look well" as " you look fat". I think it just goes with the territory of diabulimia. These days I just smile about it and put it out of my mind.

I wish you all the best and am so glad you are getting help and support. Take care.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From those who have and are experiencing diabulimia, is the disorder because you are diabetic and have the opportunity to miss your insulin.......?

If you were not diabetic, would you still have an eating disorder.........

Is the diabetes and eating disorder connected that way...

crunchieice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad Caity is doing well and wish her all the best and good health.

I am, however struggling to believe that after 2 years of no injections, a type 1 diabetic is still alive and not even in a coma!!!! What's with that??

nclemale

2 years ??? Am confused at this . if I stopped taking my insulin I would be in hospital in about 2 weeks probably . and more the point you can't be feeling very well at all for the last 2 years .