Got Connected...

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Well I got connected yesterday with the Animas 2020. I love this little thing already!

It seemed weird that I didn't have to have my basal injection last night, but I didn't loose any sleep over it! Well I did actually, but not for that reason lol

The first night... I couldnt fall asleep! Not because the pump was in the way, i wasn't worried about rolling on it or anything. I just couldn't stop thinking about pumping! My mind was too busy to fall asleep, but when I finally did fall asleep... I guess things went pretty well! When i woke up this morning the pump was exactly where I left it... clipped to my boxers :mrgreen: . None of the tubing had moved or anything. The redness around the infusion site has now gone down... i poked it around a little bit yesterday to see just how attached it was and what it could take.

I went ice skating last night as well, and most of the time I completely forgot I was wearing it, I could only tell I had it on by grabbing the pump under my jacket to make sure it was still there when i remembered! It didn't budge at all while i was stating, not even with the spins and jumps!

So far so good! From here I just need to monitor the BG closely and fine tune the basal rate over the next couple of months!

I never could really understand how you can have something attached to your 24/7 and not be bothered by it... but now i get it!

Bring on the control!

icarusman

Congratulations!

I must admit, although I am pleased for you, I am quite jealous. I have to wait until May just to see the right consultant.

I won't throw questions at you yet. I look forward to hearing how you get along though. I'll quiz you once you've settled into life with a pump.

I'm going to ring my clinic again to see if there have been any cancellations!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well Stu, you really seem to have got used to it quickly. I remember wondering if I had made a dreadful mistake for the first week or so but like you I now have times when I forget I've got it on. Hope things continue to go well.

mmackay20040

Hi Stu,

I'm new to the site but I've had a pump for coming on 3 years. It's great. I've found that the insertion area is pretty tough and it takes a lot for it to become dislodged etc so it can take a fair bit!! They're pretty tough wee machines!! Anyway, I hope you get on well with yours and if I can help in any way with questions about 'pumping' , just let me know.

Marie x

Stuboy

Dislikes
It's been four days on the pump now, well, 5 i guess.

the first couple of days i thought i could already see a pattern emerging in my fasting numbers, i've not eaten anything in the mornings untill midday, and testing every hour so i can get some good data. I've EVEN been waking up through the night to test at differnt times.. i've never been able to do it before, but i guess the pump has given me more motivation to do it!

Then thursday came around and i woke up low (3.5) but i didn't feel low at all... i left it... an hour later, still low... but again, didn't feel low at all so left it again... that went on all morning untill midday when it dropped to 2.9 and then i felt it. Had some lunch and bolused as normal, but the post meal reading was 14! then 16... then 17! i felt HORRIBLE. I managed to get it down to 9.0 before bed with a low carb(ha-private joke) meal and a correction bolus.

Then today i've been almost spot on all day. Till i went ice skating had went hypo (i hadn't adjusted my basal for the exercise) and got the munchies... 14. so im waiting for them to come down again.

But on the whole, my numbers during my fasting periods seem a lot more steady and more within target range so far and i've felt much better in the sense of mood.

I changed my infusion set on wednesday for the first time outside the hospital and it kinda went wrong, didn't go in properly so i had to do it again, second was fine. Im using the Inset 30 sets with the introducer that fires the needle in, it's the pulling the needle out of the canula that goes wrong... ill get used to it!

Onwards and upwards!

Slinger

hi Stuboy,

even though you didn't feel the hypo coming on, as soon as it drops below 4 you are in hypo stage and need to do something about, be it retest to make sure, or 15g of carbs and test 15 mins later.

I've noticed since i've started on the pump that i dont feel the hypos coming on as much as i use to. Does anyone have an explanation for this

cheers
Ste

Stuboy

Dislikes
It could be the more gradual drop rather than the sudden drop. But a reading of 3.9 or 3.6 could arguably be 4.5 with the tollerance on the meters...

It depends on what you define as hypo... if you're not hypo unaware then a hypo could just be when you feel it. if you are hypo unaware then yeh... i would treat anything below 3.9. But as i am hypo aware if i feel ok at 3.9 i wont treat immediatly, i will wait and test again so see if im still dropping or infact leveled out or going up... i wouldn't want to treat a hypo when the BG is going up anyway.. that's how i end up bouncing.

We're all different!

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I've had my Animas 23 weeks (I know this because I am 22 weeks pregnant lol) and have found that to correct a hypo you need less CPs than before.

hth.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Well, it's been 4 weeks now, and the control is much better and much more predictable!

I've managed to level out my morning basal. It's a little higher than I want it to be, but it is level, so i've increase the basal rate for the entire day by 10% to bring it down some, I'll see how that goes over the next couple of weeks.

I also haven't had any hypo's for two weeks!! That's a massive improvement to having 7-9 a week.
I lied... I 've had two hypos in the last two weeks... but both were right before a meal and only 3.9's, so one could argue that i wasn't actually hypo given the meter tolerance... i could easily have been 4.5! they were both non events anyway, so im not worried about them.

I'm also trying a new site... just below my hip bone where theres some spare flesh... seems less irritating than the stomach area... not that that's irritating at all. But i tend to just forget about it at the new site but when it's in my stomach im more aware of it.

I'm lovin it...!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this post is older now but wanted to say Congrats! Animas are the best pumps :wink: