Newly diagnosed: Type 1

michaelreid89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

First post;

I'm 24 and diagnosed with type 1 - 2 weeks ago yesterday. I'm still at a period where it's not really sunk in yet, but after my many insulin injections/ blood testing it's starting to come to reality that this how it is now. Really, the thought of it doesn't bother me in the slightest (at the moment at least anyway), no point complaining about what can't be changed and all... But seen I'm new to this whole thing, I would like to try get on top of it/ get some or any pointers if...

I am already relativity active, I do at least 3 runs a week but been advised to try do more if possible so will be looking to try up this when possible.

I have worries of my current diet however.. I've never been one to keep track of this, never have consistent meals plans and skip meals all the time. I'm really not sure on how to keep track/ plan this so any pointers could be useful.

Really, I don't know anyone else with this type of diabetes so would be nice to get in touch with some people in the same situations.

Anyway, thanks to any replies/ comments in advance,

Michael

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome.

This forum is a great place to find help.

I would suggest searching around in the forum and doing a lot of reading and then deciding what you think is right for you in regards to your diet / exercise as different people tend to manage their diabetes differently. For example, some diabetics choose a low carb diet, others don't. But you've got to choose something that will work for you.

And ask lots of questions - folks here are very helpful!

Also don't be afraid to ask your consultant or diabetic nurse for support too as changes in diet / exercise can change how much insulin you need etc.

Patch13

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Michael. What insulin regime are you on ? Is it fixed dose or do you carb count and adjust ? A good start would be to enquire about a DAFNE course, this teaches you to count carbs and self-adjust your insulin requirements. You can also skip meals no problem if your basal ( background ) insulin is correct. Exercise will certainly help but you may find you need a little less insulin afterwards. I read you're meals etc are varied which is fine but I would suggest keeping a diary for a few weeks to then give to your nurse. Record all BG level readings, food eaten and exercise taken. All this evidence helps when adjusting your insulin and also you can eventually predict what a pizza or a 5 mile run will do to your BG levels. Good luck, Mo

Reactions: 3 people

michaelreid89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies guys!

Been having a quick read about some of the other recent posts for newly diagnosed people, and getting some good, confident replies from people with a longer experience.. Quite influential.
Before I found out I had type 1, i lost approximately 1 1/2 stone in weight, and after speaking to my appointed dietitian we are aiming to put me on a high calorie diet, so shall need to wait till next week and see what she says.

After two weeks of insulin, I have been put on 8 units lantus and 3 units NovoRapid. As indicated above I have still to have an appointment with my dietitian to get a better understanding on what units to take.
Thanks for the advise! I'll have a look into the DAFNE course, sounds like it could be fairly beneficial.

I have stated keeping a log of all blood levels and a daily calorie count, but not for specific meals.. I shall try take note of these till I get a better understanding.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use this program and I enter every carb food I eat under breakfast, so there is a list and portion size. and then it's a matter of clicking on the food components that are making the meal and then adding to it as the day goes on
it's free see what will work for you, double check on google for carb amount in each food, as it's open source
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not sure yet but looks interesting. What route are you doing or do you decide on the day ? Thanks for link.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Michael and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not sure yet but looks interesting. What route are you doing or do you decide on the day ? Thanks for link.

There are three route plans that you can take a look at - just follow the links from the web page.
Just decide on the day what you feel up to - it's more about having an opportunity to meet up with others and have a great day out than thrash out a personal best!
Although the middle distance says 64km, we might end up keeping that at 50km and miss off the second climb. I think I'm going to do that ride. I don't know which ride @andy 1234 is doing - I know he's been training, but he's having some trouble with his knees, so we'll be taking it easy. I think @RosieDred is coming down with her new bike too!
Would be great to meet you - a nice opportunity to chat about your epic challenge too!

Do you cycle @michaelreid89 ?:cool:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum Michael.
Getting any type of diabetes can be a shock but I guess with type one it just comes out of the blue.
Read as much information as you can and ask questions :)

Reactions: 5 people

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hi Michael,

Regarding going on a DAFNE course I believe that you have to have been diagnosed 6 months before being considered, so that you have gained some experience about what it is like to live as a T1.

However there are other sources of the same information, online, regarding how to carb count and adjust your fast acting insulin NovoRapid. I taught myself using this free download booklet from Diabetes UK and here is a short list of recommended reading material.

Knowledge is power when it comes to self management of diabetes!

A. An introduction to carbohydrate counting and insulin dose adjustment
https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/store/literature/information-books/carbs-count-e-book.aspx
An excellent introductory document from Diabetes UK that covers all aspects of diabetes, and the method of carb counting, insulin adjustment and insulin-carb ratios is covered in Chapter 2 (Carbohydrates) and Chapter 3 (Insulin). Even if you are not doing carb counting, you should definitely read this!

B. Basal Testing … how to check your Lantus or Levemir dose is correct
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120
In the absence of food, exercise and mealtime/bolus insulin, basal insulin should hold the blood sugar steady. Any significant rise or fall in blood sugar during a fasting basal test probably means that the basal rates need to be adjusted - even if the blood sugar winds up near normal by the end of the test. This procedure tells you how to check it.

C. Adjusting your Insulin when results are too high or too low:
http://www.diabetes-scotland.org/ggc/documents/pdf files/Insulin Dose Change.pdf
A detailed guide, with plenty of examples, to assist you in making required insulin adjustments. Download it and print it out so it is readily at hand after blood sugars have been made & recorded.
Books you should consider purchasing:-

1. Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes (Chris Cheyette)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0956443052/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01
Buy this excellently illustrated book that provides clear pictures, portion sizes & weights plus carbohydrate values of nearly every food you might need.

2. Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (Ragnar Hanas)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-1-Diabetes-Children-Adolescents/dp/185959350X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365159336&sr=1-1&keywords=Ragnar+Hanas
A comprehensive book with great detail in all aspects of managing diabetes. Do not be put off by the title since it is equally very useful for adults also. This is easily the best book I have ever read about managing Type 1 diabetes, so if you only buy one book …. this is the one.

I have had T1 for 45 years and have always taken my diabetic control seriously, and in the past few years have done carb counting more closely and use a spreadsheet for recording all data, results and comments. Result .. HbA1cs always within target of <6.5%, hardly any hypos and as a result no diabetic complications.

Best of luck ....Jon

michaelreid89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, some great responses to come back to this morning!

Yeah Bebo, it's quite a bit of information to be taking in! Everyone seems to be giving me something new to read daily about it. Really, far as it looks as long as I'm on top of it, shouldn't be to much of a burden however! I'll have a look into the DAFNE this morning.

I have started following www.gbdoc.co.uk as indicated, hopefully manage to join in the group next Wednesday then! :)

I think it will be a bit to soon for this event unfortunately. I've never been much for a cycler, so might not be up to a standard by the 6th! Though I've always been keen to start so this could be an added incentive for any further event's thereafter. I'm not sure I could quite manage a 50+ km... Just yet!

Thanks for that also daisy. So ideally I'm looking to cut back on the amount of daily carb intake?

michaelreid89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heh, well only another 5 and a half months to go then....

That is some great information supplied Jon, thanks very much! I'll print off all the information supplied on these links and have a read through them today during my lunch break. :)

And the information is amounting...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Heh, well only another 5 and a half months to go then....

That is some great information supplied Jon, thanks very much! I'll print off all the information supplied on these links and have a read through them today during my lunch break. :)

And the information is amounting...

Don't worry Mike the following will give you the basics of carb counting before enrolling on the DAFNE course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

However make sure to get your name down now as the waiting list for the course can be quite long. It's good that they've started you on basal/bolus as this gives you some flexibility to miss meals when it suits, this isn't possible on some insulin regimes.

There's a good book that you should purchase called Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, it has everything you need to know about managing type 1 diabetes successfully.

Good luck!!!!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. You have had some great advice from fellow Type 1's. I hope you find all of the forum as helpful, supportive and knowledgeable :) With best wishes

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michael, I'm 25 and was diagnosed last year. It's great you've found the forum so soon. I didn't join for about 6 months. Feel free to message me if you ever want to chat and good luck with all your learning!

michaelreid89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JontyW thanks for the advice on the above noted publications. I have orders all of these books available and will hopefully be able to make my way through them! The "Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes (Chris Cheyette)" arrived yesterday and it is turning out to be fairly useful already! Thank-you again!

Thanks @daniT1D, yeah I think so too! It's been extremely helpful so far with many happy-to-help people on it! Have found some great information!

I had a small weekend away to Barcelona there, and had my first small hypo (I think). Blood levels doing fine, and within an hour suddenly lowered. Had quite a dizzy spell hit me all of a sudden. Luckily I bought a small hypo pack thing before going that came in good use.. Bit of an odd experience!