Cataracts

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Paulina, for posting about this. Yet again I've learned something I didn't know. I had no idea cataracts were related to diabetes only that retinopathy was :(

I truly hope you get quick appointment and get it sorted out, it must have been scary having this diagnosed so early . Have you told them at work? Maybe they could make adjustments so it is easier for you while waiting for the op ?

Signy
It's all kind of falling on my head at once, so it is a bit confusing :( Unfortunately first available appointment with my GP is on 2nd June (so almost 2 weeks)... it's weird, he's usually available much quicker. But maybe the letter will have a chance to arrive in the meantime :)

I haven't told anyone at work - I adjusted my screens myself and I don't see what else they could do for me: unless I can get a single, half-dark room for myself (but that's not really possible in our office building) ;) I'm thinking about getting a break of work completely, until I can get all my health issues sorted out, but first I'm waiting for some financial stuff to sort out (ie my partner getting a better paid job, so we can manage it without my pay).

So, basically, waiting and waiting for now.

Thanks everyone for this incredible support! I felt miserable that no-one seems to understand how it is, but it's much better to know that I'm not alone :)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes is indeed the second most common cause of cataracts after age related cataracts.

I had a cataract removed from my left eye in my early 30's unfortunately due to the proliferative retinopathy I had plus other problems in this eye the surgeon was unable to put a lens back in for me. In the end it made no odds as the retinopathy destroyed my vision. I have a cataract in my right eye which is the eye I have a little sight in, the surgeon is waiting until I really can't manage before operating.

Cataracts do wash out colour and focus as well as making seeing difficult in bright conditions, I find it very difficult to adapt when moving from bright to darker conditions and vice versa. Paulina I would wear your sunglasses whenever you need to and hope your referral appointment comes through quickly. I would hope rapidly developing cataracts in both eyes in a young, recently diagnosed diabetic would make you a priority for treatment. I wish you all the very best.

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is indeed the second most common cause of cataracts after age related cataracts.

I had a cataract removed from my left eye in my early 30's unfortunately due to the proliferative retinopathy I had plus other problems in this eye the surgeon was unable to put a lens back in for me. In the end it made no odds as the retinopathy destroyed my vision. I have a cataract in my right eye which is the eye I have a little sight in, the surgeon is waiting until I really can't manage before operating.

Cataracts do wash out colour and focus as well as making seeing difficult in bright conditions, I find it very difficult to adapt when moving from bright to darker conditions and vice versa. Paulina I would wear your sunglasses whenever you need to and hope your referral appointment comes through quickly. I would hope rapidly developing cataracts in both eyes in a young, recently diagnosed diabetic would make you a priority for treatment. I wish you all the very best.
I'm so sorry to hear that, that's awful :( Hope the second op will be much more successful! Thank you very much for the support.

I guess there's no way to slow down the progression? Wearing the sunglasses will "only" help me see, but won't have any impact on the condition itself? I read that UV light can also cause cataracts.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wearing sunglasses will cut down UV light and make seeing a little easier but if the underlying reason is diabetes related they won't have any real effect on progression. I didn't mean to sound gloomy with my post! My problems were mainly retinopathy related.:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paulina, although it's only two weeks away could you not express the urgency that you need to be seen sooner as your eyes are effecting your ability to work, I'm just thinking the time you see your gp then the time you wait to be seen at the Ophthalmology clinic time will be moving on, I'd ring up and see if they do more urgent appointments, more often than enough gp surgery's do have time-slots allocated to people like yourself.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would ring the surgery and emphasise the fact that your sight is affected and you need an appointment urgently I had an eye problem and the surgery got a GP to see me that afternoon and I got my eyr clinic appointment brought forward Sometimes it is the receptionist who makes the appointments and they need to be told of the urgency of the problem
CAROL

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for this incredible support and concern! Now I want to cry ;( :)

It seems like my doc is away next week (great timing...), I could see a different doc, but I'm not sure I'm quite comfortable with that.

Fortunately, my boss is very understanding (he knows about my diabetes) and I'll work from home for the rest of the week. And next week is only 4 days, so it should be easier :)
I'm guessing I'll need to wait for my Hba1c to come down anyway, so might as well wait now :)

Thanks everyone, you're awesome! :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago I had some rather serious problems with my eyes - not diabetes related - and was completely light phobic for a long while. Fortunately I had photo sensitive glasses and they'd change for me as I moved from light to dark. But did get to the point where I was having to work in a room with all the blinds partially pulled down (I had very understanding workmates!) and my PC was set up for me to have a black screen with large yellow print! Look at the Control Panel "Ease of Access" or similar option to find out what you can do to help yourself manage better. Depending on which browser you use too, you can opt to change to the browser default page style, or even define your own style to suit your current problem which should help with viewing the forum.

During the other treatment I was having it was discovered I had a cataract in my worst eye, and my consultant arranged for a cataract operation very quickly, so do let them know what issues it's causing you at work.

I do hope everything gets sorted soon for you as it must be very unpleasant and quite scary.

Robbity

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

Received my results letter 2 days ago and an appointment letter today. My appointment with an optician is scheduled in 2 months :(
I'm seeing my GP next Monday, hopefully he can speed it up!

My left eye is basically useless in daylight, though it's surprisingly good in artificial, yellow-colored light. Is that usual with cataracts? I amgetting pains in it every now and then - like a sharp "stabbing" pain that later goes into a headache :/ Did anyone experienced this with cataracts?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

Just saw my GP, he's going to send a letter to the eye clinic asking them to see me as soon as possible. Thanks a lot for your advice!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Just so you know - I got a letter from the clinic yesterday that they rescheduled my appointment and it's in 2 weeks from now. So a month earlier, yey! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant news !:D

It's awful having to wait for appointments , s it seems your GP's letter has done the trick :)

How have your eyes been since you last posted ?

Signy

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi everyone!

Just so you know - I got a letter from the clinic yesterday that they rescheduled my appointment and it's in 2 weeks from now. So a month earlier, yey! :)
Fantastic news, hope they soon sort you out :)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant news !:D

It's awful having to wait for appointments , s it seems your GP's letter has done the trick :)

How have your eyes been since you last posted ?

Signy

Worse, unfortunately :( my left eye is getting worse every week, but the right one is still holding, so I can manage everyday stuff :)

Thanks everyone, will let you know what the doc says in 2 weeks!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

So I saw the doc yesterday and she confirmed the diagnosis. She also said that except for cataracts my eyes are all good - there are no changes to retina from diabetes or anything. And since I'm a young person, it's possible that the cataracts will reverse themselves! I'm guessing because they're obviously caused by D and appeared very quickly.
Is that even possible? I read a lot about them and I don't recall reading about them disappearing... Obviously if that's possible, then I'm all in. It's affecting my work and everyday life, but I can put up with that for some time...
I'm supposed to see the doc again in 6 months and if they don't get better then she's sending me for an op. In the meantime I'm supposed to control my D as best as I can.

Any thoughts?

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been insulin dependant diabetic since the age of 9, I'm now 51, past 3 years my eye sight started to get a bit cloudy, my regular eye screening showed I had cataracts but not bad enough for surgery, then the last year they got so bad I couldn't go outside in the sun, bright lights affected my vision and vision in general was very bad. July 2013 I had my left cataract removed and April 2014 my right cataract removed - now it's wonderful, I don't need glasses at all, and can now go out in the sunshine without squinting or having to wear dark glasses. My dad, Uncles and gran had cataracts and thought I had just inherited this condition, but was told that it was common in diabetics.....so learning something new every day even after 41 years of being diabetic

My right eye was so bad I could only read the top letter on the eye chart, and was told the waiting list here in Bristol at the Eye Hospital was 18 months, but thankfully the diabetic eye screening managed to push it through with my GP's backing, and had it done on the NHS but at a private clinic.

Ps. no laser surgery here either, although they do mention it in case of bleeding after the op.

Last edited by a moderator: