Do I test if I am 'post diabetic'?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp has said that she can eat carbs without BG spiking to diabetic levels.

Add to that, her blood tests seem to be below the diagnosis criteria for diabetes.

So it kinda looks like she isn't one of us, any more. :wideyed:

But I think she should keep posting, if only to inspire us all. ;)
Arrgh! Don't banish me yet. I kinda like you lot!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why would you want to be taken off the diabetes register? You need all the tests a diabetic gets on a regular basis to make sure there is no damage happening to your body. An Hba1c doesn't tell us anything about spikes, only self-testing does. Hba1c is merely half the story.

By the way, an Hba1c of 41 is super for a diabetic but only just squeaks into the non-diabetic range. I'd be fighting for those regular health checks to continue for the rest of my life, if I were you. You're a well-controlled diabetic, not pre-diabetic, post-diabetic or non-diabetic.

I don't want to be taken off the register. There is apparently no current protocol in place for someone in my position. It has been suggested that I be taken off the register. I guess that could have advantages for such things as insurance premiums. I have yearly eye tests, and my optician is better equipped for the retinopathy tests etc than I have at the NHS eye screening centre. I go to a podiatrist regularly, and my GP nurse will be doing the twice yearly blood tests, so I can't really see an advantage of staying on the register in my current status.

sarah

I can eat a fair amount of carbs and not spike. But I reckon the reason for that is that I don't do it very often. If I did it every day like a non-diabetic can, I wouldn't stay at non-diabetic levels for much longer. My Hba1c is also in non-diabetic range but I am under no illusions I am cured or not diabetic. It would be dangerous for me to consider myself as anything other than a well-controlled diabetic and I certainly don't want to be taken off the diabetic register.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dunno..just saying that the long term results are as yet unknown. Perhaps you will have great results for 10 years then your hair will turn green. Nobody knows, so best keep an eye on your bg.
Yup, but I may not live ten years anyway. Or I could go bald.
Sure there are no long term results following Newcastle Taylor et al research, which is ongoing. That is why I am cautious about status. I haven't said I am cured. Just that I could be 'post-diabetic'. I acknowledge we need to define what that means.

sarah

Why would you get twice-yearly blood tests from your GP if you weren't on the register? As for insurance premiums, I would check to see that the question they ask is not "Do you have diabetes"? but "Have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes"? to which the answer would be the same, regardless of whether you're on your GPS diabetes register or not.

You've done really well to get where you are, you've been far more successful at controlling your condition than most diabetics, so don't worry about your status

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can eat a fair amount of carbs and not spike. But I reckon the reason for that is that I don't do it very often. If I did it every day like a non-diabetic can, I wouldn't stay at non-diabetic levels for much longer. My Hba1c is also in non-diabetic range but I am under no illusions I am cured or not diabetic. It would be dangerous for me to consider myself as anything other than a well-controlled diabetic and I certainly don't want to be taken off the diabetic register.
Ah, right, but my HbA1c only rose to 41 after months of eating a lot of carbs, and at the time I was doing that I was being tested by hospital staff 4 or 5 times a day, with never a spike seen. Prior to that HbA1c had been 35-38.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems like a lot of GP's and DN's tell T2 not to test - and thus donr provide us with test strips.
Mine has gone even further and told me I dont need HbA1C test either as I am in non-diabetic range.

I fought!! only get one a year even after putting up a fight! I made it very clear that I am not a 'former diabetic' just a 'well-controlled' diabetic.

As mentioned above, you found your HbA1C levels rose when you consumed more carbs, so I think you are sensible to resume testing yourself.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What happens when you eat sugary foods? If you spike then you're still diabetic as far as I can tell....

Well done!!
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
Didn't spike at all when I ate sugary food in hospital. Sugary food would not be my normal choice of grub though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why would you get twice-yearly blood tests from your GP if you weren't on the register? As for insurance premiums, I would check to see that the question they ask is not "Do you have diabetes"? but "Have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes"? to which the answer would be the same, regardless of whether you're on your GPS diabetes register or not.

You've done really well to get where you are, you've been far more successful at controlling your condition than most diabetics, so don't worry about your status
I have other rare blood disorders, so while they are checking them they have agreed to do the full range. There are also health checks for people of a certain age which includes checking BG.
If I need insurance to travel, which is unlikely, I will check with broker.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarah

Ah I see. Well, I still think you should concentrate and keeping your numbers at this excellent level and not worry too much about what to call it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah I see. Well, I still think you should concentrate and keeping your numbers at this excellent level and not worry too much about what to call it.
Ta, I thought other people were more worried than I was though.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Is "the diabetic register" an actual thing? I hope it is a big, dusty tome with all our names written in it by the finest calligrapher in the land.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats interesting.
If it is 'pre' that would suggest it is going to lead in to something. But if in the case of diabetes it doesn't lead into diabetes then how can it be termed 'pre'? So does the 'pre' exist at all?

So, if something is deemed to be 'post' are we looking at the meaning being 'after' ?

Confused now!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you ate 6 slices of white bread, what would you BG be after 1.5 hours. mine would be silly high yet I have been told I'm "cured".
Haven't tried white bread yet, but whole packet of custard creams and three daim bars didn't cause spike.

Reactions: 5 people