Diabetes & Male cancer

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi guys,

I haven't been around here for a while. I was diagnosed T2 in 2010 with an Hba1c of 26, went on to lose 7 stones in 9 months & been spending the last 3 years enjoying life, great BG levels & running competitively for my local Athletics club & running many marathons for fun & just because I could!

All good, then Bam. Routine blood test at Xmas showed a sharp rise in my PSA level (Prostate-specific antigen). Got the news on Xmas eve whilst on holiday & told to report to my GP immediately on my return in the new year. Long story short, lots of tests, MRI, biopsy, endoscopes, then diagnosis 3 weeks ago with prostrate cancer.

It's been a funny 6 months, less running, less training, more comfort eating, comfort drinking, weight has gone up by a stone, race times have dropped, as much as 10 minutes over a marathon.

I haven't tested my blood sugars for ages. I know they will be sky high. Anyway, im back on it. I'm booked in for a radical prostatectomy in August. This is going to knock me about for a few months but I'll come back stronger & better for it. Ready to face the music and deal with blood sugar levels again too so going to test in the morning& take the necessary action to drop the lard & get back in control.

Anyway, I've read that diabetics may be more susceptible to prostrate cancer. When I sat with the consultant & he asked me if I got up more than once in the night for a wee, it hurt when I passed water, is my flow not good, I answered yes but put these down to middle age/diabetes combo.

I've been advised to have my prostrate & surrounding tissue removed, followed possibly by a course of radiotherapy.

I feel privileged to be one of the lucky ones with a choice of life & hope of a cure. I'd urge all the guys on here (& all the ladies other halves) to get your PSA levels tested if you've any of the symptoms above.

The consultant has told me not to worry about the diabetes & that the fight I've got coming with the cancer will dwarf the diabetic one but that's not my style. I've had my 6months of taking my eye off the ball & I'm back. Low carbs are coming back, just how I manage that with my training is something I need to work out but I've given myself a 6 week target to shift the lard & sort the bloods.

Watch this space guys:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Ps, at the tender age of 44, I'm still deemed to young for this but I've gone on to speak to lots of others in the same boat. Don't be fobbed off by the doctors. Cancer has no prejudice at all.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
best wishes for your op, it's a worry you didn't need
my dad had prostrate C and he had the radiation treatment, He's been fine for the last 20 years, but he's only 90 so time will tell.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Best wishes mate! Don't let the b......." Get you down!

kefromstoke, post: 577188, member: 24497"]Hi guys,

I haven't been around here for a while. I was diagnosed T2 in 2010 with an Hba1c of 26, went on to lose 7 stones in 9 months & been spending the last 3 years enjoying life, great BG levels & running competitively for my local Athletics club & running many marathons for fun & just because I could!

All good, then Bam. Routine blood test at Xmas showed a sharp rise in my PSA level (Prostate-specific antigen). Got the news on Xmas eve whilst on holiday & told to report to my GP immediately on my return in the new year. Long story short, lots of tests, MRI, biopsy, endoscopes, then diagnosis 3 weeks ago with prostrate cancer.

It's been a funny 6 months, less running, less training, more comfort eating, comfort drinking, weight has gone up by a stone, race times have dropped, as much as 10 minutes over a marathon.

I haven't tested my blood sugars for ages. I know they will be sky high. Anyway, im back on it. I'm booked in for a radical prostatectomy in August. This is going to knock me about for a few months but I'll come back stronger & better for it. Ready to face the music and deal with blood sugar levels again too so going to test in the morning& take the necessary action to drop the lard & get back in control.

Anyway, I've read that diabetics may be more susceptible to prostrate cancer. When I sat with the consultant & he asked me if I got up more than once in the night for a wee, it hurt when I passed water, is my flow not good, I answered yes but put these down to middle age/diabetes combo.

I've been advised to have my prostrate & surrounding tissue removed, followed possibly by a course of radiotherapy.

I feel privileged to be one of the lucky ones with a choice of life & hope of a cure. I'd urge all the guys on here (& all the ladies other halves) to get your PSA levels tested if you've any of the symptoms above.

The consultant has told me not to worry about the diabetes & that the fight I've got coming with the cancer will dwarf the diabetic one but that's not my style. I've had my 6months of taking my eye off the ball & I'm back. Low carbs are coming back, just how I manage that with my training is something I need to work out but I've given myself a 6 week target to shift the lard & sort the bloods.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/QUOTE]
Wow how brilli

Wow how good to read such a positive story on here you have certainly accepted responsibility of your conditions. We all go off track sometimes but you can get back on and you are proof of this. This is the first time I have responded to anything on this site as some if the comments drive me mad. You are an example to us all. Wishing you all the best for the future.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Bloke,
I was treated for a locally advanced PC tumour 11 years ago but they did not do as much as they are going to do to you?
Is your treatment in the UK?....my PSA was 22 on diagnosis...still c. 0.1 after radical radiotherapy treatment ten years ago.
All the best for your radical treatment
Derek
PS. Your Hba1c of 26 does not add up to a diabetes diagnosis!

Hi guys,

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
All the best fellah.