lchf and ketones (whatever that means!)

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
went to a step class today and asked about the lchf diet - seems they think not having carbs is bad - to do with ketones kidney damage bad breath etc
i want to do this lchf diet but what are they talking about?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The ketones come from breaking down fat, wouldn't like to say about the kidney damage but smelly breath is quite common for people who are following a ketogenic diet.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hehe I get doggy breath, but it's a very small price to pay for having good bg levels and losing weight on lchf.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carbing will cause higher ketones in your blood. Some people are afraid of this because they confuse it with ketoacidosis, which is completely different.

Low carbing may cause "acetone breath". This might happen temporarily, or not at all. There is debate about whether it is caused by low carb per se, or some aspects of some low carb diets, eg high meat consumption.

LCHF is not a high protein diet. There are fears of kidney problems for high protein diets. However there is no evidence for these fears, with the exception of people who have existing kidney damage. And again LCHF is not a high protein diet.

Your step class is probably not the best place to get diabetic diet advice, particularly not for a non-mainstream diet like LCHF. :)

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carbing will cause higher ketones in your blood. Some people are afraid of this because they confuse it with ketoacidosis, which is completely different.

Low carbing may cause "acetone breath". This might happen temporarily, or not at all. There is debate about whether it is caused by low carb per se, or some aspects of some low carb diets, eg high meat consumption.

LCHF is not a high protein diet. There are fears of kidney problems for high protein diets. However there is no evidence for these fears, with the exception of people who have existing kidney damage. And again LCHF is not a high protein diet.

Your step class is probably not the best place to get diabetic diet advice, particularly not for a non-mainstream diet like LCHF. :)
Hi Spiker thank you for that - I admit i didnt actually understand properly but was given the idea it was not a good idea - i did kind of expect that !!! there were one or two things i asked they seemed not to know about - im trying to sort myself out im metformin intolerant and was told there was no alternative apart from insulin then someone else told me today there were lots of alternative meds to try - there were at least 5 people in the class who said they were confused and have received conflicting information - and one woman was told by here doctor not to eat bananas!! So i think i must get some different meds and persist with the lchf in the hope it works for me - as ever thanks for the help - greatly appreciated

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not eating bananas sounds like decent advice to me! Delicious but very high carb.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about bad breath, but I'm on a low carb diet, and when I'm in "fat burning mode" I get a slightly sweet ketone taste in my mouth.

And yes, bananas are high sugar and definitely come under the not-a-good-food-for-diabetics category, as do many fruits and veggies high in sugar/carbs, and concentrated fruit juice drinks are another no-no. Apparently the fruit growers have now developed banana varieties with much higher sugar content, and they are actually banned as monkey food now in some UK zoos because of the problems this causes - believe it or not!! :eek:

Robbity

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Hi Spiker thank you for that - I admit i didnt actually understand properly but was given the idea it was not a good idea - i did kind of expect that !!! there were one or two things i asked they seemed not to know about - im trying to sort myself out im metformin intolerant and was told there was no alternative apart from insulin then someone else told me today there were lots of alternative meds to try - there were at least 5 people in the class who said they were confused and have received conflicting information - and one woman was told by here doctor not to eat bananas!! So i think i must get some different meds and persist with the lchf in the hope it works for me - as ever thanks for the help - greatly appreciated
hi,
have a look at DR John Briffa he has a website with info he is in favour of LCHF , i have his book escape the diet trap, also diabetes no thanks , which is the scandinavian diet (LCHF), there's lots of info on this site, don't worry it starts to make sense, i've gone from 12.? to in the 5s and 6s in 5 months, i went to a bad place in my head at first, can still get low, but living life and having fun. trust in info here not step class. keep well
Jill

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi,
have a look at DR John Briffa he has a website with info he is in favour of LCHF , i have his book escape the diet trap, also diabetes no thanks , which is the scandinavian diet (LCHF), there's lots of info on this site, don't worry it starts to make sense, i've gone from 12.? to in the 5s and 6s in 5 months, i went to a bad place in my head at first, can still get low, but living life and having fun. trust in info here not step class. keep well
Jill
I keep saying thank you so much to everyone on here - i am trying to help myself - conflicting info everywhere so i have decided to do lchf and i will take your advice and read what you suggested - and i do mean thank you very much keep having fun jo