Do I test if I am 'post diabetic'?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think the ND has been around long enough to know whether the results are life long.

If you can afford the strips, I think you should keep testing for the sake of science. People in 100 years will appreciate your efforts :)
I just had a light bulb moment thanks to @Avocado Sevenfold. I will test, experiment on different foods to see if any cause spikes, then send my recorded data to the Newcastle team in case anyone at any time wants to carry out a meta-analysis of the available data.

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I just had a light bulb moment thanks to @Avocado Sevenfold. I will test, experiment on different foods to see if any cause spikes, then send my recorded data to the Newcastle team in case anyone at any time wants to carry out a meta-analysis of the available data.
Tell us too please. That was about 400g of carbs?
That's just a guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks@sarah
If I never, ever, again have a diabetes level BG reading you say I will still be considered to be diabetic?

Pipp

it sounds as though you have done wonders so congrats on that. I can only echo what others have said i.e., you are still diabetic but just a very controlled one.

As an analogy, if an alcoholic never had another drink would they be classed as a non alcoholic ?

jim

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was you pre result and post results and when did you test.
It was in hospital, so it was a health care assistant who was doing the testing. So, I don't have the exact numbers, but I know they were between 4.2 fasting and never higher than 6.8 post prandial 2 hours. The hospital food was carbs every meal. They kept asking me if I was sure I was diabetic. I think the custard creams etc were probably the cause of my HbA1c being 41 recently. I seriously hammered the booze and all the Christmas stuff I hadn't been able to eat at Christmas.

When I first was diagnosed, fasting was between 9 and 11. Post prandial 11 - 18. I was never able to test the high sugar theory because I would fall asleep for hours after eating any.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp

it sounds as though you have done wonders so congrats on that. I can only echo what others have said i.e., you are still diabetic but just a very controlled one.

As an analogy, if an alcoholic never had another drink would they be classed as a non alcoholic ?

jim
Ok I get that, but a different analogy;
I went out in the midday sun without sunscreen or a hat, and stayed out until I got bad sunburn. It took me a while, but I realised even though having a tan felt good, I probably needed to stop going in the sun so much. I stopped getting brown, and I didn't get sore red skin, so I wasn't sunburned any more. Yet if I start going in the midday sun I might get sunburn again, so I don't do the things that burn me anymore.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only things I could trade with the other patient who coveted my hair conditioner and hand cream.
Good grief. The cancer thing gets worse by the minute.

I think I would end up being the slightly-oily-fixer-type who wheeler deals the contraband, with the common-man accent and the slicked back hair.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am a guinea pig in so many ways, the things I have to test, just to eat a different meal!
Tomorrow is tinned tomatoes with my bacon and eggs on my breakfast
Bacon & eggs don't make me rise at all.

sarah

6.8 two hours after eating isn't non-diabetic numbers at all. It is likely to be far higher than that after one hour as well.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 two hours after eating isn't non-diabetic numbers at all. It is likely to be far higher than that after one hour as well.
I use the figures in the forum guides. Where is your info from?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having to smuggle food. Swap contraband...
As if you didn't have enough to cope with without rationing little luxuries.
I was querying the cancer reference. That is not my diagnosis. Are you thinking of someone else.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my bg also fells to normal range after i lose weight following the newcastle thing. i would consider myself recovered. but i have to be careful not to let it come again. just like i recovered from flu and now preventing myself from catching again.

Reactions: 5 people