Help! computer not well!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Don't suppose there are any computer whizz kids out there are there?Computer is not well at all,so if I suddenly disappear I will be left adrift in cyber space until I can get it fixed!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
The page will "freeze" and then the whole screen blacks out then goes back to normal for a while then freezes again.computer will "crash" if I am doing too much on it like loading photos with IE pages open.

martinbuchan

Is this a posting designed to find the diabetics with Aspergers? If you go to PC world you can find the above (he's the one with the Greg's pastry bag at lunchtime)

Marty B

martinbuchan

Many computer nerds have mild aspergers trait. Many diabetics have eaten pastry food with too much transfats. Add them together for that Sherlock Holmes moment.

Good luck with the PC.

Have you tried switching it on and off again?

Marty B

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martinbuchan</i>
<br />Many computer nerds have mild aspergers trait. Many diabetics have eaten pastry food with too much transfats. Add them together for that Sherlock Holmes moment.

Good luck with the PC.

Have you tried switching it on and off again?

Marty B
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tried that,also sworn at it ,threatened it,and contemplated throwing it out of window.None of the above helped at all!!

rodlus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
have you checked for spyware. Go to downlod.com and download spybot install and run you may be surprised by the amount of spyware your computer has attained.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thanks everyone.Have run spyware etc.do that regularly once a week.I think the problem is I need a new fan so I will be off-line sometime in the new year for a couple of days while the computer goes to "hospital" for an op!

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
I assume that you spend a fair amount of time on the web. If so you will undoubtedly be creating very large numbers of temporary internet files, cache and cookies and nasty, or potentially nasty, tracking cookies. Easiest way to clean up is to get your hands on a suitable piece of software which will run around your machine when you disconnect from the web and get rid of all the bumff. Try ONTRACK Internet Cleanup which costs less than a tenner and is a good starting point. I recently had a look at a friends machine and it had 10K plus temporary files and all the tracking stuff would be doing an ET every now and then and trying to dial home.

You should also run the defragmentation software or even better still buy a good version - something like Diskeeper. If you use Diskeeper also worth doing a boot-time defrag occaisionally.

Download a trial of registry cleanup software and at the very least that should also tell you if there are any conflicts between the various resources.

There is a lot that can be done to clean-up a PC, but avoid places like PC World that charge an arm and a leg.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Have done all that!!Only option is to take it to the computer doc!Think it needs a new fan for the cpu.

Whitevanman

Dear Sue,
I started with computers years ago and a friend said open yours up and incress the memeroy????? DO WHAT, well i got the courage and opened it, wow, its kids play, mosty unplug and plug in a new bit, even the wireing is on a block plug, Wife went mad when i paid £700 for a new computer and without even pluging it in opened it and istalled what i wanted.
And it worked just fine.
Thats for a desk top, a laptop is something else.

Whitevanman

Oh forgot, Norton is very good for clearing out the rubbish and its easy to use.
You can empty the tempery files by right click windowes, bottom left corner,
Control panel right click it,
Look for internet options, double click it
Look for "deleat, about in middle,
Right click that,
Then at top deleat files double click this then yes in the small box that comes up and all tempery files are gone.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
At the moment it is running not too bad.I think the problem is I need a new fan but as I use the computer every day ,when is this going to happen?

Knowledge is the key to control

Tormod

I swear by 2 cleaners for my PC - both free - something to do with being Scottish!

<b>CCleaner </b> is a really good disk cleaner - and get's rid of the cookies (especially good for us!) I run it once or twice a week, although I'm driven this way to avoid all the tracking cookies. I use quidco to save money on almost everything I buy on the net

<b>Advanced Windows Care</b> is also very good - checks registry, as well as adware and spyware. One of the things I love it for is it helps sort out all the c r a p that runs when you start up - yes - easy to do in Windows BUT even easier with this. Check that there isn't too much unwanted running in the background