Breakfast Options

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone give me some advice on lower carb breakfast options?
I've been having porridge for a few months now and initially it seemed to work out ok but I seem to need more and more insulin for it.
I was going to try yoghurt and some berries to see how that goes but not sure how filling it would be.
I'm looking for ideas that would be quick to prepare as I don't have a lot of time in the morning.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried the oats uncooked? Not Ready Brek or the like, but plain, old rolled oats. I have always been fine with those, although I am T2, so not injecting.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No not tried them uncooked.
Used to cook them in milk. Then water with a bit of milk on them. Now I'm just having them with no milk at all.

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I,m diet controlled type 2 , and 2 slices of Burgen soya and Linseed bread with butter and a small amount of strawberry jam works for me. Thats about 24 grams of carbs .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Berries n yogurt are great for breakfast. We both have them now and they are enough to stop my hubby going to machines at work!!

I have them to get some fat in my diet, but have found them a great stabiliser for my bloods too.

Never, ever thoughtI would eat plain yogurt!! But lovely with some berries. And even better in eveningwith doublecream-although that is not everyday!!!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a diet controlled T2, vegetarian doing my own version of low carb high fat

I have flaxseed on workdays - get a Linwoods pre-ground blend (chocolate and berries) from H&B, its about 1g carbs per serving - high fibre. Super quick and easy just add hot water, and stir, fills me up for 6 hours till lunch :) The chocolate and berries version is really nice - I did have the plain flaxseed and added cinnamon and berries but after a while I got bored of it.

On non-workdays I typically have full fat yogurt with berries and seeds or nuts and seeds. Full fat versions are much more filling. OR Scrambled eggs with cheese

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoghurt - full fat - Greek style, berries,strawberries and an apple. The apple has good fibre in it.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been having Greek-Style yoghurt and blueberries for the last few days.
It has been a more filling breakfast than I had imagined when I first started having it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used to have 1/2 a yum yum pre work to keep my levels raised gardening and the other 1/2 - 2 hours later.(type1)

However, since having berries n plain yogurt pre going out the door. No more need for a yum yum to maintain levels. Nothing else I have tried has kept me level so well ever.

I do not bolus for the berries or yogurt and I stay in the 5's and 6's even with my exercise gardening.

When not working I bolus for them and still remain level..

Think Phoenix's advice to me for more fat has been great for my bg's. Just need to now find a way to increase my weight, since adding more fat I'm losing it and don't want to.. But my bg's are soo level now for the work I do...

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Turkish yoghurt? It's super thick and feels decadent! Lovely mixed with berries, almonds or linseed or pumpkin seeds and helps keep me regular :eek:

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried Turkish yoghurt? It's super thick and feels decadent! Lovely mixed with berries, almonds or linseed or pumpkin seeds and helps keep me regular :eek:

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Where do you get Turkish Yoghurt?

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Even full-fat Greek yoghurt spikes my BG, as does nearly all fruit, so I have nuts - almonds are my favourite, with a few cashews or a few berries (but not both, as both are a bit carby) - with double cream. When I feel earth motherly I make yoghurt with double cream instead of milk.

Other days I have bacon and eggs or cheese and ham omelette.

But whatever else I make it's always accompanied by coffee with double cream.

Kate

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it was aldi but could've been Lidl!!

I was dubious but I love the stuff!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can confirm, the Turkish yoghurt cane from Lidl!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can confirm, the Turkish yoghurt cane from Lidl!

I'll maybe give it a go.
The greek style yoghurt and blueberries seems to be working out great.
Started off at 6.7 this morning, worked out my breakfast as just under 10g carbs, took 1U and my reading after 4 hours was 6.5 :happy:

Carole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hates it when Non-Diabetic ( not professional ) people tell me what i should be doing and what not to be doing
Hi dtennant9 i am type 2 on insulin and having problems with my levels being a bit high, since i was advised to go low carb i have found a big difference and the one thing i really like are the low carb pancakes for breakfast i have them with a small banana or some other fresh berries i will give you the recipe and you could try them they really are good, but if you have a nut allergy they are no good for you,
Ingredients:

· 1 cup almond meal

· 2 eggs

· 1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)

· 2 T oil

· 1/4 teaspoon salt

· 1 T sweetener

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Serve with sugar-free maple syrup, Easy Three Berry Syrup, strawberry topping, or other low carb topping.

Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes
I use half the ingredients and make 2 nice size pancakes,
i hope this helps you

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi dtennant9 i am type 2 on insulin and having problems with my levels being a bit high, since i was advised to go low carb i have found a big difference and the one thing i really like are the low carb pancakes for breakfast i have them with a small banana or some other fresh berries i will give you the recipe and you could try them they really are good, but if you have a nut allergy they are no good for you,
Ingredients:

· 1 cup almond meal

· 2 eggs

· 1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)

· 2 T oil

· 1/4 teaspoon salt

· 1 T sweetener

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Serve with sugar-free maple syrup, Easy Three Berry Syrup, strawberry topping, or other low carb topping.

Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes
I use half the ingredients and make 2 nice size pancakes,
i hope this helps you

They sound really tasty, I will definately give them a go.
Are they pretty much carb free or does the almond meal add some carbs?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Argh! So annoyed - went on a hunt for sugar free maple syrup and it's all sold out!!!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Argh! So annoyed - went on a hunt for sugar free maple syrup and it's all sold out!!!

Hope you find some soon.
Would you get it online?