Pump therapy changing my life :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just want to say how grateful I am to own an Animus vibe pump which has given me a greater confidence with my diabetes.

I have had diabetes for 14 years. I was always having bad HBA1C results and my blood sugars were all over the place that I was becoming unwell and losing weight the bad way (high bloods causing me to pee sugar).

I got my pump 2 months ago and from the beginning it took a while to understand it and my bloods were a tad crazy but now it has kept my bloods between 5mmols-9mmols. I have never seen my blood sugars have amazingly good readings...especially for a whole week. It has helped me understand carb counting as well which was something I thought I'd never be able to understand.

I do have my hba1c coming up soon so we'll see whether it's been a major improvement and I can go onto living a healthy life ^_^

Hope everyone has had better results whilst on the pump :)

Reactions: 6 people

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just want to say how grateful I am to own an Animus vibe pump which has given me a greater confidence with my diabetes.

I have had diabetes for 14 years. I was always having bad HBA1C results and my blood sugars were all over the place that I was becoming unwell and losing weight the bad way (high bloods causing me to pee sugar).

I got my pump 2 months ago and from the beginning it took a while to understand it and my bloods were a tad crazy but now it has kept my bloods between 5mmols-9mmols. I have never seen my blood sugars have amazingly good readings...especially for a whole week. It has helped me understand carb counting as well which was something I thought I'd never be able to understand.

I do have my hba1c coming up soon so we'll see whether it's been a major improvement and I can go onto living a healthy life ^_^

Hi DiabeticWarriorPrincess89 I see from your picture that you are skiing or snow boarding - Just wonder how you get on with that, as i ski as well, and there doesnt seem to be many T1's that do this. - i find my bloods are high for most of the holiday, and i can get quite tired esp. after a bit of apres ski etc -

boora

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
non

keep it up

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you get a pump?

You need to speak with either a diabetic nurse or consultant who may ask you to fill in a form to see whether you would be eligible to have a pump that they can fund for you on the NHS.

Well in my case thats what they asked me to do it may be different to how other people got theirs.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi DiabeticWarriorPrincess89 I see from your picture that you are skiing or snow boarding - Just wonder how you get on with that, as i ski as well, and there doesnt seem to be many T1's that do this. - i find my bloods are high for most of the holiday, and i can get quite tired esp. after a bit of apres ski etc -

It was actually my first time skiing. My partner and I went to Les Deux Alpes which is about a couple hours away from Grenoble.
I felt it was a great form of exercise even though it really did bring my bloodsugars down real quick and I had to check them during the lessons.
My partner and I also ate every morning and night in the hotel because the restaurants in the area were an absolute rip off and the meals in the hotel were healthy. We also had supermarkets around us so we'd make our own lunch and this helped a bit with carb counting as well :)
I did feel tired after the lessons but we would have a nap or rest for an hour and then go back onto the slopes.
However this was way before I got the pump and I was on pens but I can imagine if I do go skiing again the pump would help me big time :)

iHs

I went to Les Deux Alpes too years ago. I already had some sking lessons in the UK before I went. I was just using twice daily injections and carried some tubes of R tree fruit psstels on me and had some food in one of the many cafe bars open. Happy days........we got to France by coach and ferry

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I've been Type1 since the age of three (1972) and have been skiing since 1989. I've been on a pump now for 18 months which has made my control so much better when doing any sport. I used a CGM on my last skiing holiday in Courchevel back in January which was great - I could definitely see the trends. I did learn that I need to keep my blood sticks out of the cold, and that BG rises really quickly once I'd finished skiing.
I used to get really tired after stopping for something to eat resulting in finishing earlier than we wanted. Turns out I have a B12 deficiency and since that's been dealt with I don't get so tired. I love skiing and have never let my diabetes get in the way. Diabetes doesn't speed me up but I don't let it slow me down either.

Reactions: 2 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could have wrote this post myself, don't ever want to go back to MDI the thought of it is enough to make me want to cry! At points I thought I had amazing control on MDI but the pump makes it so much easier to get better results!

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After 4 months my pump & I are the best of friends - couldn't agree more with everything said on here. We got off to a rocky start - HOW is my BG that high?! - but I didn't look back after the first month.

it's such a shame there are still so many hoops to jump through to get one :-( I had to exaggerate the frequency of my hypos (and know fine well that the doctors knew I was doing it!) to get considered.

Glad you're enjoying the benefits, and wish you a long & happy relationship!

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
this is good to hear, keep up the good work, because remember the pump is following your expert command........:)

Emma2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm 26 and last September found out I have type 1. I lost 5 stone in weight, my bg's are always so high... Earlier it came up as HI, I corrected it and got down to 12.4. My readings range from 7.0- 20+. I feel fine even when I'm high..but do worry sometimes... I've been put on a accu check carb counter and was using it fine for the first week but am struggling, sometimes I forget to use it and use my true test meter.

I'm also desperate to put weight on as am wearing 10yr old clothes... Has anyone got any tips to put weight on? I've heard about eating more carbs and increasing amount of calories taken.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App