Non low carbers

malky

I notice there are lots of people on her that are on low carb diets but where are the people like me who are not on this diet, an am not looking for a load of people coming on and telling me the advatange of low carb, and are you a bit fed up of the post about people falling of the wagon and eating carbs or not being able to eat stuff cause of the carbs. And please no one take this as i direct assault there is no offense intended behind it i just dont see the point in the oh i ate a chip yesterday posts

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ok in the same spirit
How much medication do you need and what was your last Hb A1c?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Tell us all about your diet then,Malky and how it works for you.The more info on different diets that work the better although there is a thread for that purpose already.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Malky,

I do appreciate your point, but you also must appreciate that if you are type 2 and able to deal with high amounts of carbs, then you are in a tiny minority. For most people carbs and BS control are just not compatible. This isn't intended to be a plug for low carbing, but once those people have found out what a huge difference reduced carbs makes to their lives, there is understandably a degree of concern and a need for reassurance about what damage they may have done if they have given in to temptation. If you are not in that camp then you're very fortunate.

As Sue said, I'd love to hear about your own diet and the control that it gives you over your own BS and cholesterol levels.

Edited by Dennis:
Sorry Malky - I just realised that you are type 1, not a type 2 for whom a reduction in carbs is as vital as insulin is to a type 1.

chocoholic

Hi Malky,
As the person who started the 'chip' thread the other day, it was not intended as a thread of 'great point', it was merely done as a light-hearted thing and judging by the replies, created a bit of reciprocal light-hearted banter. I can't see any harm in starting the odd thread that does just that. You can always choose to ignore non-serious postings.
You might be surprised to know that I don't actually consider myself a low-carber yet. I'm more a moderate-carber and I'm sure there are probably quite a few members of the forum who are on moderate carbs. but like me have found certain foods prove to be not good for their blood sugar levels.In my case, chips are one thing I try to avoid if I can.
Trust me, if you can post your own success story, whereby no reduction in carbs. works on as little insulin as I take, I'll bite your hand off to try your way. I am serious. I like to keep an open mind and will willingly try any alternative ideas that allow me extra carbs. without extra insulin.
All the best, Chocoholic.(The Phantom Chip-Eater)

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
I am a type 2 and have so far managed to keep my avarage BG level to 6.5 by eating a balanced diet.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I'm type 2 follow the GI Diet (roughly) and do some exercise, I'm well under control without resorting to carb counting.

chocoholic

As a Type 1, carb. counting is vital though.We have to match insulin to carbs.for dosing correctly. Malky is a Type 1, so I'm sure he/she carb. counts. Reducing the carbs. is personal choice though, so I think Malky would like other Type 1's to post who obviously have to carb.count but just choose not to lower carbs. There must be members who fit into this category.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya malky,
depends what u call high carb/low carb, i dont eat pasta/potatoes anymore but do eat some wholemeal bread,porridge and rice crispies on a daily basis, saying that i wouldnt eat more than 30g carbs with a meal and fortunately what i do eat doesnt spike me ,if it did i would reconsider,
i did cut down my carbs tho as b4 basal bolus my bloods were yo yoing and i felt lousy :?
as with everything we all need to do what works for us :D

Trinkwasser

As a Type 1 on insulin you could eat deep fried Mars bars and cover them with insulin (NOT that that would be a very useful diet, but you could)

Unmedicated Type 2s dont have that luxury.

Personally I think I eat a normal carb diet, it's the other people who are eating an excess carb diet.

Aadrgon

So my deep fried mars bar diet won't work then :)

seriously though - never realised how complicated life could be for a type 1.

malky

chocoholic said:
As a Type 1, carb. counting is vital though.We have to match insulin to carbs.for dosing correctly. Malky is a Type 1, so I'm sure he/she carb. counts. Reducing the carbs. is personal choice though, so I think Malky would like other Type 1's to post who obviously have to carb.count but just choose not to lower carbs. There must be members who fit into this category.[/q

This is correct think you worded it far better than myself, and i am sorry to all those type 2's i know that controling carb intake is vital for you, again i have nothing against what people chose i just chose not to lower carbs

sixfoot

Dear Malky i dont think you have anything to worry about. It would be illegal to force a horse to drink under the Animal rights legislation.

Good luck
Dave P

Sweet3x

malky said:
I notice there are lots of people on her that are on low carb diets but where are the people like me who are not on this diet, an am not looking for a load of people coming on and telling me the advatange of low carb, and are you a bit fed up of the post about people falling of the wagon and eating carbs or not being able to eat stuff cause of the carbs. And please no one take this as i direct assault there is no offense intended behind it i just dont see the point in the oh i ate a chip yesterday posts

I don't low-carb :) nor does my dad. I have a set amount of carbs, and take the required amount of insulin for them. I over eat sometimes, and take more insulin to deal with it. I like bread and potatoes and pasta. I don't feel I've eaten unless I have had something starchy. I tried the low carb diet for a day. By the evening, I was starving hungry, and felt weak. So I don't bother with the low carb stuff.
I do, however, eat plenty of fruit and not a great deal of fat - I feel I am probably healthier as a result.
Fair play to all those that do follow the low-carb diet. Just don't preach to me about how great it is. It doesn't work for me :)

*edit - oh, and my hba1 is usually at the 5 mark. My dad has his a bit higher, but he's older, and doesn't take as much care about his diet nowadays. Neither of us are ever dangrously high, though :)

Aadrgon

Sweet3x said:
Fair play to all those that do follow the low-carb diet. Just don't preach to me about how great it is. It doesn't work for me

Since you are on insulin all you need to do is match insulin dose to carb intake ( I know that probably over simplifies things).

Many of us who are not on insulin would end up feeling really rough if we ate the amount of carb you do/can.

And many insulin users also low carb as it means they can reduce the amount of medication they take.

It's not all a bed of roses, I miss things like bacon sandwiches,pizza, roast potatoes and pasta dishes. I still end up cooking them for my wife and children which I find extremely hard.

This is why you see a lot of low carbs posts in here. Doesn't work for everyone I agree but I think it does for a lot of us enough to suggest it to any new people to the forum.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
#Dear sweet 3x
If you tried low carbing for a day, you didn't give it a chance. Your body needs time to adapt to using ketones for fuel inste d of glucose.
It's well documented that long term low carbers get less hungry than low calorie dieters.

Sweet3x

hanadr said:
#Dear sweet 3x
If you tried low carbing for a day, you didn't give it a chance. Your body needs time to adapt to using ketones for fuel inste d of glucose.
It's well documented that long term low carbers get less hungry than low calorie dieters.

:) I've always been told Ketones are bad, poisonous :) I'll avoid them, thanks ;)

sixfoot

Sweet3x ................. By way of a bit of self learning do a google or check out Wikipedia on the subject.

No hard sell just knowledge
Dave P