BYETTA

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Dennis

you are am absolute mine(field) of information. Do you work for Encyclopedia Britannica by any chance? No, I don't want to buy one !!

Ken

Aadrgon

Denis said:
PS my wife is complaining about me basking naked on the roof, she does'nt mind that part of it so much but she's going mad at the cost of new slates every month

just point out the cost of slates is probably offset by savings in clothes and creepy crawly killer :lol:

Pumpkin

Dennis and Ken - swift and extremely helpful responses, thank you so much. It is good to hear from people who actually know what they are talking about.
Thanks again :)

martinbuchan

day 4 on exenatide

Mild reduction in apetite. No nausea what so ever. Big change in post prandial BS after main meal. BS raised as I have reduced levemir and novorapid as a precaution.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Marty,

Well, a fairly good start as regards appetite and side effects. But I suspect you may need to tinker a bit with the insulin levels to find the right balance.

humph

Well I emailed my Consultant today, I am 3 weeks in and wanted to check which pen to order next.

He has advised me to stay on the 5 for another month, he has found that doing this, tends to lead to a greater effect in the second month and avoids moving up to the 10.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Humph,

A very sensible decision - I wish more consultants would stop rushing patients onto the 10mcg pen so quickly when there is often no need for them to be at that high a dose. Additional time at 5mcg strength also means that if you do have to move up to the 10 then the side effects are likely to be minimal.

Type of diabetes
Type 2

yes i started to take byetta 7th januarythis year when i started i was on insulin but my diabetes was poorley controlled my blood glucose was very high always in the high teens and over since taking byetta my blood has stabled at averages of sixes sevens and eights i also was able to stop taking insulin and have never felt so good for years i have also lost nearly 2stone so it is working for me i hope by now you have started to take byetta and are feeling the benefits

martinbuchan

Dennis said:
Hi Marty,

Well, a fairly good start as regards appetite and side effects. But I suspect you may need to tinker a bit with the insulin levels to find the right balance.

my control was good up till now. might have to look at other insulins. eg actrapid/insulintard etc to get the peaks right.

more experimentation ahead. pleased with early effects.

philipc

Byetta aprihension

well....

my byetta course starts tomorrow

I am really worried...

I know its a good thing - and i hope the weightloss is real....

am so scared of it going wrong

Phil

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Byetta aprihension

philipc said:
well....
my byetta course starts tomorrow
I am really worried...
I know its a good thing - and i hope the weightloss is real....
am so scared of it going wrong
Phil

Hi Phil.
Nothing to worry about. There are a lot of people on Byetta as this post will testify. Read through some of the threads. I personally never have had any side effects apart from a slight headache at the beginning. It's the best thing that has happened in 11 years as T2. Dennis, the moderator is the man who can answer all your questions. Although you will find we all chip in from time to time.
Best of luck
Ken

sixfoot

Philipc ................... noone can stop you being scared but ... whatever you do dont miss the opprtunity. This stuff does what it says on the box. Ive been on it since April 08. It works.

Dave P

candy1567

Hi Philipc

I can understand how your feeling, ive been on it since the beg on Jan this year and i wasn't just scared i was off the scale!!!

Everything about it put the fear of god into me, setting the pen up, the needles, injecting, hypo's you name it i had every reason not to take it especially not knowing what it will do to me. But thanks too Dennis and this website i gave it a try and wow am i glad that i did.

Am the biggest baby goin and can always find excuses not to do things which is usually my coping mechanism, but am so glad i did. I even got myself into a panic about pushing the button on the pen, i can put the needle in my leg but cant push the bloody button (was sitting there for over 5 mins with the thing in my leg!!!). Have got round this, my wonderful partner does it for me and while this is not ideal it works for me.

Yes i suffered the dreaded sickness, sometimes even wondering if i was doin the right thing, but my partner kept me going. It does what is says on the box, i have lost just on 3 stone in 3 months my bs are between 6 and 8, yeah i know they could be better and am working on it but as they were in double figures am pleased.

Just take one day at a time but give it a good go, at least 6 weeks then if its not for you fair enough, but dont let the sickness put you off it does ease up and thats a promise or you may be lucky and not get it at all.

The way i looked at it it was either Byetta or insulin and the Byetta won hands down

Juliexx

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

There you are Philip, nothing more I can add!

I'm sure you will be fine, but please stay in touch and let us know how you progress.

sixfoot

Dennis have you heard anything about the 1 a day / week trials ? or the New stuff Lyraglutide which is v similar. If it comes off it would be a step forward

Dave P

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Dave,

Funnily enough I did wonder last week what was happening because there has been very little news about the various new developments. It appears that NovoNordisk are expecting to get full approval for Liraglutide in May. This is a once-a-day version of a GLP-1 analogue, similar to exenatide, but their research shows it to be marginally only more effective than Byetta (by 0.3%). The advantage is more in only having one injection a day.

Eli Lilly filed in the US for approval of the once a week version (Exenatide LAR) but this was rejected because the FDA weren't happy with the way the trials were reported. They have asked Lilly go re-trial and represent their findings. That will delay the launch until probably September this year. Meanwhile Roche have been pressing ahead with their own once a week version (called taspoglutide) and are confident of gaining approval in July. So looks like Lilly rushed things, screwed up badly and could now get left well behind by the opposition.

sixfoot

That being so it makes you wonder whether you could switch from Byetta to LIRA-G in the event that there was some kind of cost benefit ( which is unlikely ) as they both have similar Side Effects etc.

Dave P

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

On the basis of "if it ain't bust don't fix it", I think I'll stick with Byetta until the weekly version comes out. I think we also need to bear in mind that any drug that gets approved in the US, generally only gets UK approval once it has been in use for at least a year in the States.

Our authorities do seem to like using our American cousins as guinea pigs! We have been doing this ever since metformin was first developed in the early 70s. Originally there were two drugs, phenformin and metformin. Phenformin was much stronger of the two so metformin was discarded as being of limited value and phenformin was licenced. Unfortunately phenformin had a bad side effect - it tended to kill the patients. It was very hurriedly withdrawn and metformin has been in use ever since. Amazingly phenformin is still prescribed in Romania and Spain, but under the name buformin (brand name Silubin).

philipc

Well I attended my group session on Byetta...

There are 60 of us in total now in my PCT that are on Byetta...

I injected at first at 4.10pm - Immediately felt a very odd stomach sensation - as though i was full without eating anything...

I then cooked pasta-from-a-packet...

usually I can wolf this down

I really struggled to finish it.... I now feel l ike I have had a 5 course meal and can hardly move!!!!