When they do your bloods at the clinic...

victry77

So, when you go for you annual review and they take you bloods, is it only for the A1c or do they run other procedural tests also?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, when you go for you annual review and they take you bloods, is it only for the A1c or do they run other procedural tests also?

might do fasting blood tests. If you are on blood pressure/cholesterol medication might do liver function. Anything else would be specific to you depending upon any other health conditions you have.

jim

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Usually anything that they may be interested in for your particular monitoring, but standard is HbA1c, cholesterol (Total, HDL cholesterol, Choresterol/HDL ratio), BP and BMI.

The most important to judge how you are managing your BGs is :-
HbA1c:
T1 < 58mmol/mol in new units and <7.5% in 'old' units.
This target is for T1s at risk of hypos. If you are T2, and not on insulin, then the target is lower at 48mmol/mol (< 6.5%).

The attachment shows my recent blood test with HbA1c at 52 mmol/mol = 6.9%

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html
2014-06-09 Jun HbA1c.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

victry77

Hi thanks for your replies. Yes, just wanted to know if there were certain tests that were also performed along with the A1c. I'm going for my annual review next month. Obviously the bloods are done before you go in and see the doctor, but do you think it if I asked the doctor if they could do a FBC, thyroid and coeliac that they would do them there and then?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been given appointment for my first annual review (actually a 7 month one!!) and have had a letter to telling me that I get two appointments: at the first I'll get my blood test, a urine test, and the nurse will weigh me, check my feet and blood pressure. They will send me a little booklet with my results and I then get another appointment with nurse and diabetes doctor to discuss these, any concerns/problems, goals, and medication. Which I think is pretty comprehensive, and from the way the letter was phrased, it sounds as though this is a new procedure to encourage us to become more involved in our treatment?

Robbity