Any Advice?!

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yet another post. But i have questions that are eating away and i cant find the answers.
My first question is how exactly do i go about getting my eyes screened? Have had quite severe vision loss when i first got my bloods in order after being diagnosed. Nothing since thankfully and all has returned to normal. However i called my local optician, they refuse to test me until i have some sort of letter? So i called my GP who said it was being done straight away. Heard nothing since and have not received any kind of letter.
Secondly, are there any medicines out there or natural remedies that offer any kind of protection for T1's? In terms of organ protection or assisting in blood stability?

If anyone can shed any light on this would be greatful. Would even wear a bigger smile :-D

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

crunchieice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, you should get back in touch with your gp and diabetes consultant, they should sort it for you.

As for your other question, I have no idea if any medicines can help. Will be interesting to see the response. I just eat a well balanced, low gi diet and hope for the best.

Take care xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi yet another post. But i have questions that are eating away and i cant find the answers.
My first question is how exactly do i go about getting my eyes screened? Have had quite severe vision loss when i first got my bloods in order after being diagnosed. Nothing since thankfully and all has returned to normal. However i called my local optician, they refuse to test me until i have some sort of letter? So i called my GP who said it was being done straight away. Heard nothing since and have not received any kind of letter.
Secondly, are there any medicines out there or natural remedies that offer any kind of protection for T1's? In terms of organ protection or assisting in blood stability?

If anyone can shed any light on this would be greatful. Would even wear a bigger smile :-D

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

I have heard that Icaps are a good source of vitamins for the eyes. Boots sells them for £13 per bottle. I've not tried them myself, just heard they are good. Here's the link:

http://www.boots.com/en/ICaps-Extra-Lutein-Tablets-30s_1129335/

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just go back to your gp and chase things up, it's important that you have your eyes checked annually so that they can pick up any changes such as diabetic retinopathy.

The best way to keep your eyes healthy is to control your diabetes, bp and cholesterol levels, eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables should provide all the nutrition you need for healthy eyes, I eat blueberries everyday which are said to aid eye health but if you want to take supplements do a Google search or take the ones Geordie mentions above.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is research showing Lutein and zeaxanthin help improve eye health. If you have ever had advice to eat dark green leafy veg (such as kale) or egg yolks, then that is why.

I take the boots version of eye vitamins as well as making sure I eat eggs and dark veg.

(And here is one of the reseach studies, if you are interested

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640510 )

Sufficient for a bigger smile?

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all answers awesomeness people :) will check out all links provided :-D

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After diagnosis and starting insulin, my vision was poor for about 3 months needing tempory glasses to read. Cleared up after and no longer need glasses. something to do with.the blood vessels in.the eyes adjusting to lower levels

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people