2 months on Statins

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I,m type 2 diet controlled for 9 months now , I was prescribed atorvastatin 10 mg as my cholesterol was 5.9 , after 2 months I have had a cholesterol test and result is 3.4, hdl =1.3 , Ldl = 1.65 and no side effects , any comments please are welcome, thanks Dave ,
PS I have no idea what my cholesterol was before being told I had type 2 Diabetes.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Personally I would come off them now. You don't want to be lower than 3.4, in fact somewhere around 4 or 5 is probably optimum. Up to you.

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok Sanguine , do I just cut them out completely or take one every other day instead of every day,

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good advice from Sanguine but if you are going to stop or alter your tablets, might be an idea to discuss with your doc first.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Good advice from Sanguine but if you are going to stop or alter your tablets, might be an idea to discuss with your doc first.

Agreed, I wasn't advocating doing this without at least informing your GP and discussing why.

Reactions: 2 people

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone explain why I need to be concerned about a cholesterol level of 3.4 being too low ?

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think from my readings around this subject that 3.4 IS too low.

A book that might help is the Great Cholesterol Con - Dr Malcom Kendrick. there is another one with the same title. I've only read the Kindle sample, but it too seems pretty good. (Not the same sense of humour though as Kendrick who some people might find a bit flippant).

For me, a man, I'm thinking 5.5 is the level I want to be at, if that helps! For women I think they can work with higher levels than men.

BUT I am not a health professional - get advice.

Reactions: 2 people