Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Today I just can't get my sugars down
Hasn't come below 12 :-(
Have injected plenty of times possibly around 7 / 8. Times. Feel like giving up and going to bed
Anyone else get high days like this??

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you going down with something? Infections can cause your bg to go up and stay there :(

Reactions: 2 people

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
I don't really know to be honest
Just come crashing down and had a hypo :-( ugh enough for one day!!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope they have been better today!!
Looks like all your corrections maybe caught up with you but I can totally sympathise with you that it's very difficult when you running on the high side. I was running a little high yesterday took a correction with my lunch and ended up being more active than I expected and then crashed.
It can be a bit of balancing act sometimes.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I've had days like this . Sometimes there is no explanation which is annoying , could be like mentioned your becoming ill . Or are you due on ? Sometimes that messes with your readings .
Hope they have been better for you today .
:):):)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have injected plenty of times possibly around 7 / 8. Times. Feel like giving up and going to bed

Could well be your coming down with something as Paulina suggests, but it's always worth changing your insulin cartridge when you get days like this and can see no explanation for the cause, insulin can deteriorate in this warm weather so always worth changing if in doubt, both my pens are kept in my Frio wallet now after finding that my insulin had gone off with the heat.

corbettc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi .
I can relate to this!
Some days I can't get my bloods below 12/13 and just seem to be injecting insulin constantly.
My last day like this seen me taking probably treble the amount of insulin I would normally take!
Have spoken to diabetic nurse but they were unable to provide any realistic explanations as to why this happens.
Guess it's just one of those things.
Keep testing every hour or so until the readings come down, and they will eventually.
Good luck.

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Thanks guys!! God knows what it was but I'm thinking it might be what noble head was saying about the heat. I did wonder that the other when it all went t**s up! Never had a day like that before !!

bexley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have had for the last couple of years weeks like this my diabetic nurse and consultant have no idea why my blood sugars wont come down below 20 and it makes my hba1c very high to last one was 12.4. It gets very frustrating as i feel ill all the time and i cant really talk to my other half because she doesn't know very much about diabetis and that makes ne upset as she wont learn about it she just wants to think she knows all about it. I have been to Drs to try sorting it and to hospital and also did carb counting course and do correction injections all day but nothing helps at all. My last blood sugar which i did at half past six this evening was hi and my meter only goes to 33.3 then it just says high.

corbettc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B
i have had for the last couple of years weeks like this my diabetic nurse and consultant have no idea why my blood sugars wont come down below 20 and it makes my hba1c very high to last one was 12.4. It gets very frustrating as i feel ill all the time and i cant really talk to my other half because she doesn't know very much about diabetis and that makes ne upset as she wont learn about it she just wants to think she knows all about it. I have been to Drs to try sorting it and to hospital and also did carb counting course and do correction injections all day but nothing helps at all. My last blood sugar which i did at half past six this evening was hi and my meter only goes to 33.3 then it just says high.
Bexley, I would strongly urge you to keep asking your diabetic team for more support and advice with your problems. If your readings are as high as you say I would be very concerned. How much do take for your correction doses and how were the doses decided on? I think you need to rethink how much insulin you are giving as a correction dose as it is clearly not enough. Also ask your diabetic team about the insulin you take. Maybe you need it changed to an alternative. Also don't be too hard on your partner. Diabetes is a very complicated disease and I'm still learning something new about it even though I've been type1 for 22 years.Maybe you could take her with you to your next appointment at the diabetic clinic? It's vital that you have a good support network that you can use, because there are times when this bloody disease really pisses you off and its good to talk. Hope this helps. Good luck.

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bexley, I have exactly the same problem,I've been admitted to hospital with DKA on numerous occasions,and still have no reason for it, I also have hypos but not as much, I am very lucky to have a partner who wants to learn all there is to know about diabetes,but as corbettc says you learn something new every day,I've been diabetic for 30 years and I'm still learning.

Emma2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I find I struggle getting mine below 12.. Today my meter read HI, and had to keep injecting to get it down... But still no lower than 12. I feel like giving up sometimes too... I just can't get my head around it all.. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi

I find I struggle getting mine below 12.. Today my meter read HI, and had to keep injecting to get it down... But still no lower than 12. I feel like giving up sometimes too... I just can't get my head around it all.. X

@Emma2688,
What are your insulin dosages - both Novorapid and Levemir?

Do you split your Levemir dose or just give in one big hit?

Have your levels been averaging above 12 since diagnosis?

Do you go to bed high and then wake up low, or vice-versa?

What diabetes education have you received via the hospital / GP?

Emma2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started novo rapid at 6 U, with my meals, then one hit of levemir 8U, over a few months it went up N: 16U L:18U, now I'm on a carbs meter it tells me how much novo rapid to take with meals, and split my LEvemir.
I've been in hospital with DKA a few times within the year, and since have attended a DKA education course, have clinics, but that's all I've had, was even rushed to a&e from the doctors as had ketones and high BG and spent 2 days in hospital with no treatment!!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I started novo rapid at 6 U, with my meals, then one hit of levemir 8U, over a few months it went up N: 16U L:18U, now I'm on a carbs meter it tells me how much novo rapid to take with meals, and split my LEvemir.
I've been in hospital with DKA a few times within the year, and since have attended a DKA education course, have clinics, but that's all I've had, was even rushed to a&e from the doctors as had ketones and high BG and spent 2 days in hospital with no treatment!!

That doesn't sound good - in all respects.

Do you rotate your injection sites?
Do you use a fattier area for the Levemir (e.g. the backside) or the same sites as the Novorapid?
What sorts of foods are you eating?
Do you exercise at all?
Are you highly stressed for any reason (in addition to the high BGs)? - Eg. exams, parental marital issues, etc. (you don't have to detail)
How and where do you store your insulin in general, and the same question applies to the vials/cartridges that are in current use?

Emma2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a lot of stress since being diagnosed, which doesn't help.

I rotate my sites, legs, buttocks and tummy.. I find it hurts a lot sometimes as there's not much fat on me at the moment.

I do around 30+ mins of excersice a day, walking to do school run, and odd jobs and taking my grandma out once a week. I really try not to over do it.

I do try and eat healthy, I always have veg with my meals and have cut out my sweet treats, but do have the odd chocolate bar... I can be quite naughty with treats... I find it hard to totally swap my foods. Feels like I don't have the will power to give it all up.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not a give it up forever.. Just for a month to get it better. Then you can put your treats back in one at a time and cut any that mess you up

Emma2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not a give it up forever.. Just for a month to get it better. Then you can put your treats back in one at a time and cut any that mess you up

I went to see my dietitian about 3 months ago, I told her what I ate and she said I can carry on eating them.. I said t her I'm desperate to put weight on as went from 12st to 7, she said I needed to loose weight!!!! I've had more help from people on here than any dr. I will try leaving the sweets locked up for now! :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Conrad asked about your overnight readings, answer it and you will get help sorting out your basal. Going by what's said here, that's the first thing to do.

Do you keep a workbook with your readings, putting up a few days may help too