Victoza Side Effects - for everyone's information

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit when I was on Victoza the only side-effect I had was constipation (tmi - sorry).

It never made my appetite decrease or anything, however it did help me lose some weight and bring my blood sugars down.

The only reason I stopped taking it was that I went off the rails for six months :-(

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I swear it CAUSES depression! Thank god I have found someone with a similar experience to me!

Some folk on here are as bad as the doctors with their lack of empathy.

Hi new friend x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

I swear it CAUSES depression! Thank god I have found someone with a similar experience to me!

Some folk on here are as bad as the doctors with their lack of empathy.

Hi new friend x

Hi Fiona,

Depression is listed on this as being at a rate of incidence not known.
http://www.drugs.com/cons/victoza.html

You are the best judge of how medication is affecting you and if you do not feel assured that this drug is the best available one for you, then I would go back to your G.P. and explain how you are feeling.
It might be a good idea with regard to diet to get back to basics and take the advice for a newly diagnosed on board. I know you have said elsewhere that low carb diets do not work for you. How about cutting your carbs back from the RDA to a level that suits you. Not everyone here follows a very low carb diet and people are successful with using 150 carbs. daily.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

(((()))) a hug for you as your posts demonstrate that you are feeling low.

Reactions: 2 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Karen, hope you are back on the rails now. Where in the country are you? X

Hi new friend - I am in the UK.

I am ok now, a year after stopping Victoza - I'm not saying that it was that that sent me off the rails - but the pressure of Drs/trying to lose weight/eating healthily just got too much. I went down hill for six months, and it got that bad that I stopped all medication and my HBa1C went up to 119. Finally got back on track in Oct 2013, started insulin again and then mid Feb 2014 I went onto a new drug called forxiga - which is a tablet not an injection so that was much better.

There are plenty of drugs out there - if you think this is the one that is causing your depression bin it. Speak to your Dr. They can't make you take it as in the long run it will do more damage than good.

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
I have changed Victoza dose to the night-time dose before bed instead of in morning. Not bern getting the horrendous side effects as badly. Got to change to higher dose tonight. Will reduce my insulin a bit as I did when I started. Wish me luck tonight.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck. Are at 1.2? That's the highest dose in UK but know other countries give full 1.8 dose. I used to take mine at midday but only because I injected at breakfast and dinner. How are you feeling?

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck. Are at 1.2? That's the highest dose in UK but know other countries give full 1.8 dose. I used to take mine at midday but only because I injected at breakfast and dinner. How are you feeling?

Feel pretty rubbish like I did when started. Typically my BG monitors (both) have decided to run out of battery! Feeling very cold and a bit headachy with stomach cramps and knowledge that painful constipation and stool passing is on the cards for the day so cancelling everything in diary. Had this IBS symptom BEFORE new meds routine . Laxatives prescribed by GP work but then I go the other way. . Thanks for support x

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dreaded constipation - I hate it! I had that with Victoza and I've got that with this new drug Forxiga. Trying Fybogel but not having much of an effect. I think the more meds you are in the worse it gets :-(

I hope your day hasn't been too bad.

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dreaded constipation - I hate it! I had that with Victoza and I've got that with this new drug Forxiga. Trying Fybogel but not having much of an effect. I think the more meds you are in the worse it gets :-(

I hope your day hasn't been too bad.
Hope you've been ok too. So good to have found people who truly understand what being diabetic means in reality. X

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been one of those days. Was diagnosed with peripheral diabetic neuropathy last week and put on Neurontin. This week my feet have never been so bad - so painful - wish these bloody pain killers would kick in!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or so I'm told!

Bloody hell isn't it! Some days worse than others! x

DFiona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear this -- must be SO painful. I'm sure I also have the onslaught ofperipheral neuropathy in my feet too but don't want to add to a growing concoction of pills on my poor liver. Years ago on insulin, statins, HRT, etc etc my liver went haywire and I also got lumps in my groin and armpits -- all this stopped when I stopped all the meds. Diet and lots of exercise prevailed for a while until my eyesight and bowel worsened. Hope can get a normal (ish) life back when sugars fall. Speak soon. Take care X

tomdat7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Conservatives, Injustice, Elitism, Poverty, Royalty, Rudeness, Crudeness,
Hi Karen G, I have just read your post about being diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and I sympathise with you . I have suffered with it for years now, at first it was my feet and lower legs, then my torso, now my shoulders, arms and hands. I also have H.A.V.S. which is hand, arm, vibration syndrome, which was brought on by using vibration equipment while I was working in the construction industry. I take Neurontin, Pregablin, Duloxetine, and quite a few other medications for blood pressure, cholesterol, etc the three mentioned are for control of the really bad pain I get in the areas mentioned. The worst pain is easily in my feet, taking the medications really do help with the pain and without them I am unable to walk because of the intense pain. My prescription was lost by the chemist not long ago so I was a week late in getting my prescription, the first couple of days weren't that bad because I think the medication was still in my blood, but the third day and on until I got the prescription were bloody terrible, with pain I can't describe. The Duloxetine was prescribed for my depression but if you read the notes with it, it also works as a painkiller.In summary Karen, they do work to stop the pain and I know I can't do without them now, I now get my medication in blister packs because I was like you I gave up as well but for longer than you, I was hoping something serious would happen to me and end this hell of diabetes. But I am back doing as I am told because of my family pleadings, hope this helps, and things get better . Tom D