Resistant Starch: How do you eat yours?

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been reading about the benefits of resistant starch on BG levels and am thinking about giving it a go to see if it makes any difference to mine.

Has anyone who is already trying this got any advice on the best way to consume this stuff? I read 40g a day in two servings is best but how to take it i've no idea.

Also, any feedback on how it has worked out for anyone else would be nice to hear.

Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use the search box at the top of the page and do searches for 'resistant starch' and 'potato starch', you'll find quite a few threads on this subject on the forum.

There are also heaps of posts out on the internet on this subject - you could spend years reading about it if you've got the time to spare ;)

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Indy, thanks for the comment.

I did wonder what that search function was for ;). I found a few discussions about the pros and people posting helpful links to potato starch products but little mention of how they actually would go about consuming it. Maybe i've overlooked it.

Do i mix it in a drink or eat in with a spoon straight from the packet?

Also, there seems to be very little info from people who have actually done it and who are feeding back their findings but lots of speculation and links to studies. I've seen positive feedback from scientific studies online myself, which do suggest it does help with BG, which is why i am considering it, but I was looking for any info from anyone here who had already been down this road :)

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/3/559.full

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure that anyone currently posting here has tried it, though I could be wrong. We're all getting it from food to some degree or other.

The people who take potato starch (or tapioca or plantain flour) as a therapeutic intervention seem to mix it with kefir or milk or other fluids or food - I doubt if you could actually eat it by the spoonful as it looks exactly the same as flour.

There are various natural food sources of some forms of resistant starch, though not all. There's a post about it at Mark's Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-resistant-starch/#axzz36CFSXsU5

Tom Naughton also has a series of posts about it:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2014/04/14/revisiting-resistant-starch-part-one/

The results seem to vary enormously - like most things, I guess. Some people swear by it; others had all sorts of GI upsets from it.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I tried it and got up to 2 tablespoons with breakfast , I stopped over a month ago. Didn't see an improvement in BS and the wind was phenomenal :-(. I got it in a local Asian type supermarket so have some doubts on the quality.

I might try again if I can find some better quality starch.

Good luck

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, I just get it from food , it is known to be a factor that lowers GI. So I eat legumes, whole (intact) grains , cooked and cooled starches so potato and rice salads etc rather than as a supplement.
I am suspicious of adding it in processed form, it seems contrary to my opinions about eating real foods.
It doesn't just have glucose control benefits though, it seems to be very important in bowel health.
http://www.csiro.au/Portals/Multimedia/CSIROpod/Movement-for-more-resistant-starch-in-your-diet.aspx
( interesting about Freekeh which is supposed to be very high in resistant starch , I haven't come across that one and suspect it will be hard to find here in rural France; not sure about the modified barley or wheat though)