Feeling deflated

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A cgm gives you the opportunity yourself to look at home and adjust better yourself.

I actually agree with nurse, because just gives you warnings without testing the levels are raising or lowering and you should act upon those warnings.
You should know enough about basal/bolus changing to look at in detail if you want to adjust yourself at home.

You shouldn't really need an appointment to review with a nurse the cgm readings if you know how to adjust your pump readings and sensitivity, acting time and the basal bolus ratios...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hooked

My insulin pump consultant/DSN just have a quick glance at a couple of my CGM overview pages either once or twice a year depending on my pump clinic appointments. That's about it, I do the rest myself. The information and graphs you can get from CGM are clear and self explanatory, I download my results regularly and use this information to decide if I need to make any changes.

Is your diabetes clinic able to loan you a CGM for a week to see what you make of it before investing in a Dexcom system?

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

A cgm gives you the opportunity yourself to look at home and adjust better yourself.

I actually agree with nurse, because just gives you warnings without testing the levels are raising or lowering and you should act upon those warnings.
You should know enough about basal/bolus changing to look at in detail if you want to adjust yourself at home.

You shouldn't really need an appointment to review with a nurse the cgm readings if you know how to adjust your pump readings and sensitivity, acting time and the basal bolus ratios...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yes, that's why I wanted the CGM, for more info to act on myself. As well as for them to review at appointments, as they currently do with my diary; I thought it would be more insight for them as well as myself.

Today's training was part of the newbie's introduction to pumps; where our basals were reviewed and we (A small group put onto the pump round the same time) were taught about combo bolus and temp basal rates.

H

Hooked

Hi Hooked

My insulin pump consultant/DSN just have a quick glance at a couple of my CGM overview pages either once or twice a year depending on my pump clinic appointments. That's about it, I do the rest myself. The information and graphs you can get from CGM are clear and self explanatory, I download my results regularly and use this information to decide if I need to make any changes.

Is your diabetes clinic able to loan you a CGM for a week to see what you make of it before investing in a Dexcom system?

Wish I'd seen your reply earlier this morning, I never thought to ask them if I could get a loan of one!
I've come to the conclusion that I need to take a few months becoming more familiar with the pump and working with it before I rush into spending £500. If in a few months I'm still no further forward, I will consider going for the CGM.

My levels have improved a lot with the pump, I'd just love to have them under even better control. A CGM could potentially help me do this, but only if I'm confident in what to do with the data I guess.

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do ask if they have one you can borrow for a couple of weeks. I was able to borrow one from my clinic (I'm going to ask again when I'm back there next week). It makes doing things like basal testing so much easier and you can see the trends.
I have an engineering background and my biggest bugbear about the standard setup of diabetes technology is a lack of data about my BG levels. One test every hour, let alone more infrequently, can't show me well enough what is going on. At least things are slowly moving forwards.

Reactions: 4 people