Minimum Daily Carb allowance needed to be healthy?

missussb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people, feral children.
This has probably been done to death already but I want to lose weight (T1), and I wondered what is per day the minimum carb needed. We all know zero carb is unhealthy but what is the lowest I could go?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The lowest you can go is zero. There's nothing unhealthy about it. Carbohydrates are not an essential dietary nutrient and there is no minimum safe level.

In practice it's impossible to get down to zero dietary carbs outside a laboratory, so don't worry about it.

But do be wary of things that "we all know" to be true. ;-)

Obviously as a T1 you need to titrate your insulin to match your carbs. You would need a minimal basal dose even if consuming close to zero carbs, and you would need bolus insulin for dietary protein on a very low carb diet.

Reactions: 4 people

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my diabetes course I was told the minimum to maintain good brain activity was 130 gms per day

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On my diabetes course I was told the minimum to maintain good brain activity was 130 gms per day
That's a mistake. Your brain might consume that much glucose per day, typically, if it's used to relying on glucose, but the glucose does not need to come from dietary carbohydrate. And if you reduce dietary carbohydrate, the brain will reduce its reliance on using glucose for fuel.

What diabetes course was this? They need to correct their misinformation. It's this kind of misinformation that makes people afraid to reduce dietary carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So is it not correct i need a certain amount of carbs a day? Because i was told if i cut out carbs my muscles would start to burn fat for energy instead of glucose. Which in turn creates keytones :-/

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's why you eat more fat to get the energy, so the body doesn't eat muscle
When you start you can have more protein for the first fortnight if your kidneys are ok
Google nutritional ketosis

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But i was under the impression that muscle burning fat works aswell as burning glucose but creates keytones in the process. So dont understand how this is a good thing :-(

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that clears it up lol

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I typed that into google and this is what i found

'The ketosis that happens on a ketogenic diet is not dangerous because it is regulated by insulin levels within the body.

It's simply the metabolic process of burning your own body fat for fuel, and unless you are diabetic and lacking insulin, or you are an alcoholic, it is perfectly safe. Levels for people with a working pancrease and insulin production rarely get above 8mM'

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm a gardener and my legs are better toned for having more fat in my diet..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't sound convinced :)
Add T1 diabetic to the google ketosis ketogenic search

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't sound convinced :)
Add T1 diabetic to the google ketosis ketogenic search
Confused would be a better word lol. Glad i am learning things thanks to everyone here :) its definitely no thanks to any of the professionals i see! >:)

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My brain works much better on a low carb high(er) fat diet. I used to be practically brain dead, which I assumed must be old age creeping up on me, but since being diagnosed as type 2 and changing to LCHF I feel as as though I've really woken up again. I think if you search around the forum, you'll find that this result is fairly common.

Look too at the Atkins diet induction phase where you are recommended to go down to 20gms of carbs a day for a (short) while. But you must eat enough fat for energy to compensate!

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people