Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds to me that having a hit of carbs in one go could be the reason?

My BG levels started improving at 30g carbs a day so maybe 50g is too high for you?

I'm currently doing Atkins induction which is pretty strict for two weeks and limits carbs to 20g a day. Today I had the best ever fasting reading and I think the diet has something to do with it but I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

But definitely get a monitor and test pre, hour post and two hours post.

Good luck
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre reading was 3.7, mid liver dump (I can always feel it happen.

I hope you don't mind if I ask but what is the feeling like? I have churning feeling in the upper part of my stomach but I think my liver is around that area too. I'm wondering if it's the dumping. Thanks in advance. X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@peacetrain - now you will just know I've lost the plot........ But, I get a slightly tight feeling in my neck. I know that's not where my liver is, but a process of elimination points to this being a low score being "adjusted". :nurse:

I'd be in,the rested to know if anyone else can identify when it's happening. Perhaps that's another thread.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@peacetrain - now you will just know I've lost the plot........ But, I get a slightly tight feeling in my neck. I know that's not where my liver is, but a process of elimination points to this being a low score being "adjusted". :nurse:

I'd be in,the rested to know if anyone else can identify when it's happening. Perhaps that's another thread.
Yes, I thought I remembered you mentioned your neck once. Perhaps my neck goes all the way down to my stomach :)

Can the thyroid affect the liver? I wonder. I'm no good at biology :-(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I thought I remembered you mentioned your neck once. Perhaps my neck goes all the way down to my stomach :)

Can the thyroid affect the liver? I wonder. I'm no good at biology :-(

I always wanted a long neck..........................;)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kimbo - with only 3 days of data, I don't think you can really draw too many conclusions from your readings at present, except to say that the lower the better for now. I am assuming you are keeping a complete food diary, along with your blood data? In other words, if you wanted know know what you have for dinner on Sunday, say, you could find it in your records (as opposed to your memory)? These dual records will be very valuable as you move forward. There is no way you can so this effectively, by memory.

If low carb is your chosen route for your diabetes, do it to the best of your ability, and test, for at least a week, before trying to come to any conclusions. I would tend to echo comments on the biscuits though. As you are trying for low carb(c50g per day), biscuits strike me as an expensive (in terms of carbs and cals) way of eating. If you can do without frankly sweet things for a while, you will want them less, and sweet things could begin to taste very sweet. Personally, I haven't had a sweet biscuit, cake, ice cream or sweetened yoghurt since October, and I'm not too fussed really. I do appreciate we're all different.

It will be interesting to see how things go with your new meds.
The only real reason i had the two digestives was my nurse practictioner said i was being harsh- anti lchf- and needed a portion of carbs in each meal, as i hadnt had more than 15gm carbs all day i tried it out!! This afternoons 6.7 and 6.4 have got me smiling now- and, i picked up my new meds today and took one at 2pm......

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always wanted a long neck..........................;)
Well I have quite a long one now I've lost weight but it's also very wrinkly and saggy under my chin. I could do with having some rings fitted round my neck, like those that some African women wear. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only real reason i had the two digestives was my nurse practictioner said i was being harsh- anti lchf- and needed a portion of carbs in each meal, as i hadnt had more than 15gm carbs all day i tried it out!! This afternoons 6.7 and 6.4 have got me smiling now- and, i picked up my new meds today and took one at 2pm......

Whilst I have never gone as low on carbs as you, and others on here have done, I can understand your frustration.

When I had my one and only review since diagnosis, the nurse I saw just said whatever I was doing, to keep doing it. She wasn't too interested in the detail of my approach, so I was saved a potentially challenging discussion. But, I honestly wonder what some of these nurses and doctors would actually do, if they were diagnosed themselves. Would they not test? Would they have carbs at every meal? Perhaps some would, but I'd wager a significant proportion wouldn't.

When having a frank discussion with my GP about cholesterol and statins (he was fine for me to see what I could achieve with diet etc., as opposed to the nurse who wanted me on statins immediately), he "explained" to me that as we get older, sometimes we just have to accept medical intervention, as he had done himself, with statins. Mind you, he likes all the "good things in life".

Reactions: 3 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 at 0420 and I've just had a breakfast. I say 'a breakfast' because I may have another later!

Now, I'm working.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Woo hoo!!! I'm in the 5s two days running. So happy today.

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.7..........my first 6 in a morning!! Was 6.6 at bedtime, been 6.7 and 6.4 during the afternoon so I'm happy I'm settling- proof my nurse practitioner got it wrong Monday with the carb advice!! Now looking forward to getting a morning BELOW 6 !!!

Reactions: 2 people

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 today before brekie, slightly lower than the usual 5.5. Though a disappointing 5.8 1 hr 45 mins later.

Had a meal replacement shake for breakfast which is 160-200 cals and about 15 grams carb off the top of my head.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit on the higher side last night and today, perhaps it was the diet coke and malibu (s) and nuts. Oh 6.9 on rising at 7:10am

However, lots happier with my levels, just need them down a touch more.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Back to 6.2 again :(, eating right, exercising - must be lack of sleep and not enough water.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 so at the moment my theory of having lower reading towards the end of the week seem to be holding up. By Wednesdays I am not really awake before the alarm goes off so maybe my liver isn't awake either.

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 today before brekie 7.00am, slightly lower than the usual 5.5. Though a disappointing 5.8 1 hr 45 mins later 8.45am.

Had a meal replacement shake for breakfast which is 160-200 cals and about 15 grams carb off the top of my head.

Now 5.6 at 11am (2 hours 15 mins after last test of 5.8). Would have expected it to be lower.

Only thing i've had is a normal coffee with a little milk straight after testing at 8:45. Besides that just water.

I think i might cut out the morning coffee and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.