Attitudes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I expect sugarless sue would have something to say if she thought someone was being insulting.

I certainly would!!

S&E I think a lot of the members here are overweight,I know I certainly am and we do try and support each other.The original question was about how the media and the health care professionals view the overweight and I don't think anyone is criticising members just saying what their perceptions and experiences have been.If you feel however that someone is please PM me.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Silverand Ebony,
You are a unique person with hopes and dreams like everyone else. We are all different in our shape and weight, however we are all human and anyone who belittles anyone else because they do not conform to their way of thinking is the one with the problem. I have friends of all shapes and sizes, different ages and all cultures and they are my friends. I do not categorise them into weight, height, colour of skin etc.
I was overweight when diagnosed and am now back to my normal weight. I hope that people like me for me and not my appearance because I am the same person if I am overweight or not.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

Thirsty

Absolutely agree, Catherine. One of the most amazing people I know is grossly obese, suffers from low blood pressure, mental illness, brittle bone disease (amongst other complaints), can't walk without a stick and often has to use a wheelchair. Yet, she manages to overcome all these problems and devotes her life to running charitable ventures to help all and sundry in one of the grottiest areas of my town.

Compared to her problems, mine are insignificant and she makes me feel very humble. She also has the most infectious laugh that I've ever heard: nobody can spend much time with her without breaking into a grin.

Sod weight and appearance, it's what's inside that counts.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
That's what I like about cyber space.
We are all shadowy figures with just our personalities on show.There is no 'first impression' of the visual kind to sway our judgement of people here.
As I have said elsewhere there are some of the kindest,funniest, empathic and helpful people on this site it has been my pleasure to cyber-meet.

viv1969

You're right Sue, and all I know is that I'm spending more and more time here, and learning more all the time.

Thirsty

Heh. Ever noticed the way Gordon Brown sticks his tongue in his cheek when he's telling porkies?

Sorry for the derail.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
samcogle said:
viv1969 said:
You're right Sue, and all I know is that I'm spending more and more time here, and learning more all the time.
Me too. Can we start an addicts self-help group please? :)

We could,,if we have it on here you can kill two birds with one stone.Feed your addiction to D.co.uk and get help and support about it! :D

SilverAndEbony

I am really not very good at explaining what I mean, am I?
:(

What I wanted to say was that we all have things we are 'sensitive' about, and past experiences that colour how we react to we interpret the things people say and do. The same thing forms the basis of our attitudes. As a totally non-diabetes example, years ago a work colleague asked everyone in our office whether they thought I should get my hair cut. Out of the blue too! She'd been brought up to have very short hair, and it was obviously an issue that been brought up with. My fringe is long, and covers my face a bit. Her hair is cut very short. Her attitude appear to me that women with long fringes that get in their eyes should get it cut, and that it was acceptable to make comments about it. Bizzare! I just took it as a hint at what her Dad went on at her about when she was growing up. My family went on about holding your knife and fork 'correctly'. Basically, who cares! But I still notice and make the comments my Mum and Grandma used to make in my head. It's so easy to do. And usually about stuff that you don't actually care about at the end of the day! But I've obviously got the attitude that you HAVE to hold your knife fork in one particular way, and in that case it's basic snobbery.

I am sensitive about my weight, so any comment that - to me - implies I should feel negative about myself because of it makes me very defensive.
It doesn't matter at that point what the person MEANT to do. I just react, and am offended or intimidated or whatever. It's the same kind of thing as bullying (which I am no way saying I have experienced on this forum!). Bullying is in the eye of the bullied. What may be a joke to you, may not be to the person you are making the joke to.
oo - I've got a bit to serious here, I think!

btw
Silver and Ebony were a couple of cats of mine. It just came to mind when I was choosing a username. I'm not really a male cat and a female cat at the same time :lol:
I'm trying to limit any personal details I give on the net. It can cause big problems, which I have known people have. But thankfully not experienced myself - touch wood!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I understand that completely S&E. Throughout life we are conditioned to certain things and it is indeed a hard thing to get over or break,I should know,certain things I've been trying to get over for 50 years!
To you and,indeed ,any member, if you feel that a post or some of the banter is upsetting you ,sing out,tell us.Sense of humour is always subjective.

Aadrgon

Hi again SilverandEbony

thanks for explaining the reason behind your post. I can see the point you were making to some extent, no one likes to be criticised - I must admit with reference to your work experience and the fringe I'd have been tempted to tell them to mind their own business.

As far as weight is concerned I think most of us are "big boned" :) I have to admit I have trouble tying my shoelaces.

We all preserve some level of anominity on here there is nothing wrong with that in fact it makes personal things that much easier to discuss.

All I can say is we all have something in common in diabetes and we can help one another. I like to joke with people as I go along it saves me from falling to pieces. I don't cope very well unless I can hide behind a facade.

You have any problems in here pm Sue and she'll look into it for you or pm me if you like

ty for the explanation of your name by the way silver and ebony are nice names for cats.
Mine have got the names thomas rosie, roxie, smudge tixie and bandit

Trinkwasser

SilverAndEbony said:
btw
Silver and Ebony were a couple of cats of mine.

Strange, I had this mental picture of a black lady with spectacular silver hair

I'm an equal opportunities insulter, stuff just comes out of my mouth before I can stop it. It's never intended, except when it is, and you'll KNOW when that is <G>

sixfoot

Trink dont worry about it, i had exactly the same impression ......... rather exotic, gone in a whisp.

Such as dreams are made of !!!
Dave P

C

catherinecherub

Ties in nicely with the thread, "WHO ARE YOU?" on the General Chat forum. I visualised Silver and Ebony as a tall, elegant lady with black hair and a silver streak running through it. Perhaps we should start analysing our perceptions of forum member's names. :?