Feeling really down this week...BG levels higher than normal

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am normally a very upbeat and positive person, but this week I just feel really down. My BG levels have been really good over the last 3 months and I even got my HbA1c down to a "normal"range. But, this week my BG levels have been higher than usual, readings of 10 and above, up to 18! I don't eat a lot and my carb intake is about 40g a day, so I know it's not what I am eating that is raising my BG levels. I exercise every day at the gym and also have started a running regime 3 x per week. I am at a loss at to why my BG levels are so high! I have been feeling a little dizzy lately when I stand up, like I am off balance and need to hold on to something to steady myself! Very strange. Just don't know how to get out of this low mood and getting my BG levels back down! My bolus rate is very minimal with my meals, but my basal rate, although only 18units per day is about 80% of my total daily insulin. I used to average out about 52% basal:48% bolus. Anyone got any ideas! I have my next diabetic check in 2 weeks, but didn't want my BG levels running high til then as my HbA1c will increase, HELP!!! :sorry:

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
Just had an HBA1c done and waiting for the results. I`m getting high readings too so am dreading what my results will be when I go to the surgery on the 14th July !

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meh! Sorry to hear that :(
With you mentioning the dizziness, is it possible you have an infection of some kind going on? That would probably account for the higher readings ?

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just had an HBA1c done and waiting for the results. I`m getting high readings too so am dreading what my results will be when I go to the surgery on the 14th July !

Hope it goes well for you on 14th.

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Meh! Sorry to hear that :(
With you mentioning the dizziness, is it possible you have an infection of some kind going on? That would probably account for the higher readings ?

Signy

Thanks Heathenlass. I have a telephone consultation tomorrow with my GP, so hopefully she will advise me on what it could be. Thanks for your reply.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fingers crossed for you!
It's maddening when you manage to get the numbers you want, then for no apparent reason they go up:banghead::banghead:

I reckon the diabetes gremlins like a snigger when we get too happy and complacent, and for jollies throw a spanner in the works :confused:

Signy

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fingers crossed for you!
It's maddening when you manage to get the numbers you want, then for no apparent reason they go up:banghead::banghead:

I reckon the diabetes gremlins like a snigger when we get too happy and complacent, and for jollies throw a spanner in the works :confused:

Signy

I know. I am so cross about it as my levels have been so good since April and I just don't get it! Just checked my bloods a few minutes ago in readiness for having my chicken and salad and my levels were 10.3! :arghh: Frustrated isn't the word! I've not eaten since 1pm and I only had a small amount of chicken then too! My portion sizes at mealtimes are very small so my carb intake is limited. I hope my GP will have some answers tomorrow. Will check back in after I've spoken with her. So unhappy! :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget to tell your dr about balance. Infection is likely being sudden rise. Work out your sick day increased dose and put it to the dr tomorrow or A&E or your nurse today. You could also ask a T1 here to look at your doses
The T1s also say to get out new pens from a new box to be sure insulin a ok

Last edited by a moderator:

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't forget to tell your dr about balance. Infection is likely being sudden rise. Work out your sick day increased dose and put it to the dr tomorrow or A&E or your nurse today. You could also ask a T1 here to look at your doses
The T1s also say to get out new pens from a new box to be sure insulin a ok

Thanks Jack. Yes will certainly tell my GP about balance. I think my insulin is ok. I just changed my pump reservoir over the weekend and this lasts me about 9 days. Hopefully this will right itself, whatever is going on.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jack. Yes will certainly tell my GP about balance. I think my insulin is ok. I just changed my pump reservoir over the weekend and this lasts me about 9 days. Hopefully this will right itself, whatever is going on.

There's a thought - I know nowt about pumps, but could it be the cannula or something? I'm pretty sure another pump user has mentioned something similar happening to them recently.

You should not be going that high on what you're eating, though that dizziness is odd. Do you feel OK otherwise ?

Signy

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a thought - I know nowt about pumps, but could it be the cannula or something? I'm pretty sure another pump user has mentioned something similar happening to them recently.

You should not be going that high on what you're eating, though that dizziness is odd. Do you feel OK otherwise ?

Signy

Thanks Heathenlass, have changed my cannula, as I do every three days. Feeling **** and not improving! Hopefully, a good night sleep will help. Just can't work it out. I just want to go to sleep and I could do that right now. I feel exhausted! Tomorrow is almost here. :confused:

corbettc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am normally a very upbeat and positive person, but this week I just feel really down. My BG levels have been really good over the last 3 months and I even got my HbA1c down to a "normal"range. But, this week my BG levels have been higher than usual, readings of 10 and above, up to 18! I don't eat a lot and my carb intake is about 40g a day, so I know it's not what I am eating that is raising my BG levels. I exercise every day at the gym and also have started a running regime 3 x per week. I am at a loss at to why my BG levels are so high! I have been feeling a little dizzy lately when I stand up, like I am off balance and need to hold on to something to steady myself! Very strange. Just don't know how to get out of this low mood and getting my BG levels back down! My bolus rate is very minimal with my meals, but my basal rate, although only 18units per day is about 80% of my total daily insulin. I used to average out about 52% basal:48% bolus. Anyone got any ideas! I have my next diabetic check in 2 weeks, but didn't want my BG levels running high til then as my HbA1c will increase, HELP!!! :sorry:
Hi Geordie Lass.

I'm not too familiar with your insulin intake and the pumps etc, but I would be inclined to have your insulin reviewed asap, and also it may be that the unusually hot weather we've experienced this week could be having an adverse affect on your readings.

I know some type 1 diabetics experience lower readings in hot weather but in my case I'm the opposite, I always experience high readings in the heat, and am constantly having to have correction doses as a result.

As for the dizzy spells you are suffering from, do you take blood pressure tablets? I've been taking them for a number of years and have occasionally experienced dizzy spells when I stand up.

Feeling down at times is common in diabetics, and depression is something I've experienced since being diagnosed aged 21 in 1992. However having a good support network of friends and family who understand diabetes is as important as any medication a doctor may prescribe.

Lastly, what are your options for when you are reading high? Are you able to administer correction doses? I've been doing this since 2010 after attending a BERTIE course and it has been a lifechanger. It enables you to quickly rectify the horrible situation that involves high readings and gives you more autonomy over the issue.

I really wish you well and hope you are feeling better very soon.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Woah! 9 days!?!

You need to check Medtronic's guidance on their insulin reservoirs: mine, for example (Animas Vibe), state that the reservoir should only be used for three days - one of the reasons they gave was that the materials used in the reservoirs deteriorates rapidly when there's insulin inside them.

After about a year on the pump, I got lazy and used to pre-fill 5 or 6 cartridges in advance and leave them in the fridge / cupboard prior to use - my BG's were absolutely horrendous and it transpired this was the cause.

You may find that even if you don't use all the insulin in the cartridge you should still change it when you change your cannula.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, advice ith accuchek is 6 days only in reservoir, and I too preloaded reservoirs in fridge n got told not too..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did the phone consult go ?
Are your levels any better today? I hope so !

Signy

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Corbettc, yes I have a review in two weeks at my clinic. I also had a review about 3 weeks ago and my pump was adjusted then. I'm not on BP tablets. Don't have any other medical condition except for T1 so no other meds on top of the insulin. I lived in Australia for two years where the climate is so much hotter and my BG levels were never high or low, just normal range. Thanks for your advice.

Hi Conradj, I know 9 days is a long time to have the reservoir in the pump before changing it, but I have done this since April, since my insulin units were decreased and I have never had any problems until now with higher readings. Fortunately, today my BG levels have come down a little to a more acceptable level. I will check with my diabetes team when I see them on two weeks if that could be the cause of my high BG levels. I've never preloaded reservoirs with insulin. I always load them when I need them. Thanks for that insight.

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How did the phone consult go ?
Are your levels any better today? I hope so !

Signy

Hi Heathenlass, the phone consult went well. The GP just asked me a few questions in relation to my dizziness and booked me an appointment to see her tomorrow morning. She mentioned checking my BP. My BP has always been within normal range, so I wasn't sure if it is my BP or something else. Maybe blood tests might be a good idea. My levels have come down today to a more acceptable level, still feeling off though! I had ketones this morning of 1.9, so keeping an eye on that too as my fasting blood was 8.7 this morning. Never been that high in months! See what tomorrow brings! I am just so exhausted, wanting to sleep all the time. This is so not like me as I am usually so energetic. Was hoping to get a 5k run in tomorrow too as today was my rest day anyway! Not sure if this will be a good idea at the moment. :confused:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Heathenlass, the phone consult went well. The GP just asked me a few questions in relation to my dizziness and booked me an appointment to see her tomorrow morning. She mentioned checking my BP. My BP has always been within normal range, so I wasn't sure if it is my BP or something else. Maybe blood tests might be a good idea. My levels have come down today to a more acceptable level, still feeling off though! I had ketones this morning of 1.9, so keeping an eye on that too as my fasting blood was 8.7 this morning. Never been that high in months! See what tomorrow brings! I am just so exhausted, wanting to sleep all the time. This is so not like me as I am usually so energetic. Was hoping to get a 5k run in tomorrow too as today was my rest day anyway! Not sure if this will be a good idea at the moment. :confused:

I don't think the run sounds like a plan right now :eek: If you are feeling "off", that may explain the dizziness and the high BG's, so it's good you see the doc tomorrow :) Once whatever it is is sorted, I'm **** sure you will get back to the levels you are used to :) It's a blip, that's all !

I can understand your frustration though, mine have been running high for a few days now, higher than they've been for months. :banghead: I know it's due to the switch over in insulins, but after being in reasonable figures it's driving me batsh*t looking at my meter and thinking *** ??? I know it will level out though (she says with grim determination!)

Good luck tomorrow Michelle, and I hope you find out this particular gremlins name and get it banished :mad:

Signy

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think the run sounds like a plan right now :eek: If you are feeling "off", that may explain the dizziness and the high BG's, so it's good you see the doc tomorrow :) Once whatever it is is sorted, I'm **** sure you will get back to the levels you are used to :) It's a blip, that's all !

I can understand your frustration though, mine have been running high for a few days now, higher than they've been for months. :banghead: I know it's due to the switch over in insulins, but after being in reasonable figures it's driving me batsh*t looking at my meter and thinking *** ??? I know it will level out though (she says with grim determination!)

Good luck tomorrow Michelle, and I hope you find out this particular gremlins name and get it banished :mad:

Signy

Thanks Heathenlass. It's probably something really minor. Yes, maybe I should give that run a miss tomorrow. Would hate to pass out whilst running through the country fields! :eek: Hope your levels stabilise soon. Will let you know how tomorrow goes. My appointment is at 9.50am, so not long to wait once I am up and ready!