Blood testing

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi M8, maybe you need to set the puncture depth to a lesser depth if you can. You don't need much blood, maybe you are jabbing yourself too deep. Hope this helps

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where on your fingers are you testing ? The articles I've read suggest that you shouldn't use the index finger but only the three others and should pierce the sides of the fingers, not the pads, as there are fewer nerve endings there. You should also ensure you don't pierce too close to the nail.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good advice so far. Also, try to remember to rotate different fingers so you give them time to heal a little.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can test between 5 -10 times a day, yet my fingers are relatively soft, I don't really understand it.

I don't change the lancet until I need to either.....

the advice so far is good though, making sure your not going in too deep is important, unlike me, making sure your lancets are fresh and sharp should help also....

I tend to literally prick any part of the finger tip, so the top and sides..........the more spots to prick, the more rotation you will achieve.......

how often are you testing?

Thanks for replies but it doesn't answer my question. Is there anywhere else? I'm sure I read an article once that said there could be alternative sites.
I've been a Diabetic for many years and the poor old fingers have taken a bashing. Does anyone rub cream or something else to help?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
your right, we didn't answer your question.............

i haven't personally used anywhere else, but you could use anywhere you liked..........your palm, forearm, anywhere that has a bit of flesh on it..........

the question would be how to get that blood sample on the test strip at some of those locations.....

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fingers are getting very sore.Is there anywhere else where blood can be obntained?

Could try your thumbs :)

Seriously though, back of hand or forearm would prob be my next go to place after digits? Maybe try one of these and your finger and see if they give similar results.

Having said that, when I tested several different fingers, for science, i found they all gave different results.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most pricking devices come with a different "nozzle" allowing to test from other parts of your body (such as upper arms). I believe there is a bit of a time lag (20 mins), and the finger tip blood is consider more up to date

Google alternative blood glucose testing sites for more info