Less insulin on pump?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I now ask a daft question then.... Why is it that we need less insulin on a pump? Is it because it is drip fed so our bodies use it more effectively?

I have never had an explanation of what it is about a pump that makes us need less insulin and it does intrigue me, or is it that injections we had to guestimate more for a full 24hr basal to cover highs and lows etc...

Is there information anywhere that gives an explanation of why we use less?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
DOn't quote me on this, but I understand it's due to the continuous infusion and hence continuous absorbtion of quick acting insulin only vs the big dollop of slower acting basal.

REmember it's only QA - novorapid or similar in a pump, so the action is different as well as delivery.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah mechanical. Current plan is to make a move Into rotating equipment as I can do most work from vendors and hence it's hydrocarbon free. It's not ideal, but it's all I'm being offered if I'm to stay with the same company.

I originally thought I'd be allowed with a gas detector but apparently that's a no go. I don't understand why though since cameras are allowed. And things like hearing aids! I've been led to believe it's an industry rule, but it could be BP specific. In which case SVT and CATS could pose an issue for you!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com
What an absolute PITA. I don't get the idea that it's an industry rule. I've been in contact with an offshore doctor in Abermed to try adn get clearance for one of my clients and she did not categorically state no on the basis of pump, just that she doesn't know of many.

To be honest I think that may be a rule of your company being overreactive to their history rather than taking a managed risk approach.

Do you have any risk/HSE/Environment experience? My company has an Aberdeen office and may still be recruiting - it's HSE and risk consulting

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What an absolute PITA. I don't get the idea that it's an industry rule. I've been in contact with an offshore doctor in Abermed to try adn get clearance for one of my clients and she did not categorically state no on the basis of pump, just that she doesn't know of many.

To be honest I think that may be a rule of your company being overreactive to their history rather than taking a managed risk approach.

Do you have any risk/HSE/Environment experience? My company has an Aberdeen office and may still be recruiting - it's HSE and risk consulting

Hmmm they said they just follow the industry guidelines. There is 1 guy who has a pump. Apparently he just injects a long acting during the day and leaves his pump in the accommodation and then reconnects at night. I told her that was absolutely not an option!

No experience other than pencil pushing for TARs for the last 2 years. Started fresh out of uni and diagnosed a few months later!

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is another reason less insulin is needed on a pump that we have much finer control over the adjustments - no longer only whole or half units at a time. If the basal & ratios are right we get much nearer what the correct dose is compared with mdi. Just my thoughts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told it was the way that insulin is absorbed...the whole continuous thing - it does take a month for the doses to settle down which was an interesting fact from the nurse (though mine still changes - and with the recent bowt of warm weather I am finding I can eat anything without blood sugar spikes - I do love the temporary basal for days like that and the fact that you can play with the basal for the different times of day - one of my favourite pump features). Also from a practical point of view - the doses can be really fine tuned, you don't get any insulin leaking out (however long I left the needle in me I would invariably get a little pool of insulin after an injection)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm they said they just follow the industry guidelines. There is 1 guy who has a pump. Apparently he just injects a long acting during the day and leaves his pump in the accommodation and then reconnects at night. I told her that was absolutely not an option!

No experience other than pencil pushing for TARs for the last 2 years. Started fresh out of uni and diagnosed a few months later!

Speaking to the OH person at this week's client, they have no problem as long as pass the medical and the stability criteria etc, they have several T1 offshore and even one on a pump.

Seems to depend on the operator