slow release carbs

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
are they good for type ones or bad? i have been avoiding carbs for the last few weeks and starting to get realy hungry all the time, i have cut out, bread , pasta, rice etc completely, i have been eating bran flakes which is quite high in carbs at about 20-30g but in the last week its raising my sugar level a lot even with very weak milk, today it rose from 2.5 mmol to 9.0 and thats after 4 units of my fast acting insulin too :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Replace the bran flakes with some porridge, seeds, berries and yoghurt added. If your wanting to know about slow release carbs then read up on the glycemic index.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your trying to keep your carb levels down add some more fat to your diet, doen't affect your bg levels and makes you feel full - not all fats are "bad"

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bran flakes (well the ones made by Kelloggs in Australia) are 'fast' with a high GI of 74

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Replace the bran flakes with some porridge, seeds, berries and yoghurt added. If your wanting to know about slow release carbs then read up on the glycemic index.
will any porridge do? i have oats so simple in my cupboard, also what sort of yogurt should i add, fat free?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think if you look at the side of the box you will find they have about 25/27 grams of carbs per sachet. And a tiny serving at that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
will any porridge do? i have oats so simple in my cupboard, also what sort of yogurt should i add, fat free?

No stay away from the Instant porridges like Ready Brek. The best type is what they call Rough-Cut Oats or Steel-Cut Oats, they take longer to cook but well worth it, whilst it is simmering away throw in some pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds.

I just use Onken Biopot yogurt in my porridge or a full-fat Greek yogurt, the one from Lidl is nice, just finish the meal off with a handful of blueberries for a truly nutritious breakfast that will keep you full till lunch.

The following is a blog on porridge, came across whilst researching about oats a while back, it's good in that it explains the health benefits of a bowl of porridge each day:

http://porridgeclub.wordpress.com/dr-oats/

Reactions: 3 people

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No stay away from the Instant porridges like Ready Brek. The best type is what they call Rough-Cut Oats or Steel-Cut Oats, they take longer to cook but well worth it, whilst it is simmering away throw in some pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds.

I just use Onken Biopot yogurt in my porridge or a full-fat Greek yogurt, the one from Lidl is nice, just finish the meal off with a handful of blueberries for a truly nutritious breakfast that will keep you full till lunch.

The following is a blog on porridge, came across whilst researching about oats a while back, it's good in that it explains the health benefits of a bowl of porridge each day:

http://porridgeclub.wordpress.com/dr-oats/
i dont have much time in the mornings, does it take long to boil or can i do it the night before

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i dont have much time in the mornings, does it take long to boil or can i do it the night before

With the rough cut oats I make it the night before just using water, then I reheat it the following morning adding milk. It saves on time making it the night before and it keeps well overnight. The brand I'm using at the moment is called Prewtt's, I get it from Holland & Barrett and it was Riri (forum members) who suggested it, it has a nice nutty taste and is really nice porridge.

Hope that helpful James.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re Porridge club - I like the suggestion

"Porridge used to be poured into a “porridge drawer” and, once it had cooled, it could be cut up into slices."

Uhmm might have to give it a go and see what it does to my bg. Could be a solution for my no breakfast -> rising morning bg issue.