ace inhiabtors ?

wendybee

Dislikes
no chocolate.........miss it sooooooooooo much
Hello There Ihave posted here before and got some very good advice,and now im back again for some more please,ok im newly diagnose type 2 diabetic diagnosed Sept2008,im on 2x 5oomg twice daily plus 1x asprin.Blood sugar is coming down ive followed advice regarding carbs and this has worked very well for me.Now ive done 3 urine tests over three month period and they have all come back abnormal,with protien in urine 1 before last was 10 last one is 6.3 my GP called me into surgery and he would like me to start on ace inhibator.Well im not too sure about this does anyone have any experience of this also i thought if i lost weight would this help?Im very reluctant to take medication i understand this is a prevenative medication.Can anyone give me some personal knowledge of ace inhibators.My GP said he will review it again in one month.By the way ive lost over 4 stone in weight since Sept and down to size 12/14 which is great as im 5ft8 so im still trying to lose more too.Any ideas of natural remedy i could use too so i can avoid ace inhibators.Ive looked up inhibators online they seem a good thing but im not sure.Ive gone from being very healthy to being a worry wart,but i suppose i couldnt have that healthy being overweight but i never ever went to my GP i never had the need now i seem to be there every month.Many thanks Wendybee :D :eek:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly congratulations on the weight loss, you've done great!!

Don't worry about bothering your doctor, that's what they are there for, and if you are worried about something you want to get it checked out for the peace of mind, worrying a lot isn't good for you.

I've no idea about ace inhibitors at all sorry, but hopefully someone will be along soon who does know something about them.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The one most likely to be used is Ramipril.Have a search on Google for it.

viv1969

I still feel a bit that way too!! Before I became ill last spring, I hardly ever went to the doctor. Since then I've been there so often they're considering a revolving door!

I too was put on medication to lower my slightly raised blood pressure. I take 1 x 2.5mg pill before I go to bed each night, and since I began taking that my BP has been comfortably in the normal range.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
I take Ramipril although I have never had a problem with blood pressure. Being over 60 they say that at a particular dose level it significantly reduces the probability of heart attack and stroke. Most recent BP check was 116/70. No side effects are far as I can tell.

Trinkwasser

Yes their primary effect is reducing blood pressure (which you didn't mention) but both they and ARBs have kidney protective benefits as well, which other BP lowering meds don't have.

If I were you I'd go for it, check your BP and the commonest side effect is an annoying cough. If you get that or any other side effect ARBs are next in line (not used as first line as they are more expensive, some authorities prefer them for diabetics, some use both together)

Slinger

gratz on the weight lose.

ace inhiabtors are used to protect your kidneys so ive been told. My doctor but me on them but made my blood pressure dropped to low. i have a nautral low bp 105/60 but when i was on the ace inhiabtors it dropped down to 75/45, luckily i have a blood pressure monitor thanks to my mum.
the doctor took my off them and tried me on some other type but made me feel ill so atm he's not put me on anything. sorry cant remember any names of them i was on

Ste

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
The 'cough' lasted a couple of weeks. Upset the other half as it tended to occur during the night and was, apparently, more annoying than snoring. But ace inhibitors seems to have added values so take them!

Mal

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have been taking an Ace Inhibitor (Ramipril) for some years since having a series of four heart attacks. There is a very useful article, which has wealth of information regarding these meds and diabetes here: http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/ace-inhibitors-diabetes.html

Below is the contents of the article and its summary.

ACE Inhibitors & Diabetes

- Summary
- About ACE inhibitors
- Types and differences
- Conditions treated
- Conditions of concern
- Potential side effects
- Drug or other interactions
- Symptoms of overdose
- Lifestyle considerations
- Pregnancy use issues
- Child use issues
- Elderly use issues
- Questions for your doctor

Summary

Hypertension (high blood pressure) contributes to heart and blood vessel complications of diabetes. ACE inhibitors are a class of drugs that lower blood pressure. These medications are prescribed to many diabetic patients to prevent kidney damage and reduce cardiovascular risks.

ACE inhibitors can be prescribed in the form of a tablet, capsule, liquid or intravenous injection. In some cases, they are prescribed with another antihypertensive, such as a calcium channel blocker or angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).

People taking ACE inhibitors or any other antihypertensive need to be careful about spending too much time in the heat. They are encouraged to drink plenty of liquids during exercise or while outside in hot weather. The physician’s directions about exercise, activity levels and diet should also be followed. People taking ACE inhibitors should consult their physician before taking certain medications, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

The most common side effect of ACE inhibitors is cough, which is usually not serious. Regular blood tests are needed to screen for a potentially serious side effect called hyperkalemia, an abnormally high level of potassium in the blood.

Hope this is useful.

Mal

wendybee

Dislikes
no chocolate.........miss it sooooooooooo much
Hello All,Once more thank you for your replies,ive looked and listened and yes i will give the ace inhibators ago,im just so worried about taking things,i know it is silly but ive had such a drastic lifestyle change a wake up call really.Ah also i dont have high blood pressure but funny enough i did yesterday when i was told about high protien levels it went up lol.I suppose a cough isnt too bad at least i can compete with my snoring hubby<i have one too he could snore for England>..What i really want and everyone else does too is to be well.So once again thank you everyone who took time to respond,kind regards WendyBee :D