Low iron levels

K

Kat100

Have been feeling really unwell for a while now, so many symptoms ( a list )
Iron levels are 8 Range is 23 - 300 just started medication ....
Any one else suffer from this problem which really messes up our red blood cells....

I need b12 injections and well.....

Waiting for some engery to return

Thank you in advance ........Kat x

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had anaemia when I was first diagnosed. Had to take iron tablets. Anaemia can give a falsely low HbA1c reading so you need to make sure that is taken into account at your review. There is another test they can do to make sure your BG control is good and they should offer you that rather than the HbA1c while your red cell count is low. Sorry but I can't remember what the alternative test is called.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed with Type 2, I was also anaemic so my HbA1c was on 7.7% which was falsely low in comparison to my BG levels. The alternative test that smidge talked about is the Fructosamine test.

K

Kat100

Thank you both smidge and denise , my next hba1c is due in march/April so good to know about this test...

I have been anaemic before some years ago and was on iron tablets prior to diagoneses one year ago, it's the symptoms which are so awful ...
Really tired, total exhaustion .....etc.....it makes you feel really unwell.....

Thank you both for your helpful replys ......best wishes Kat x

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also anaemic but my doctor sent me to hospital for checks and ended up with cameras up and down to make sure there wasnt any underlying problems. Thank god there wasnt - nurse told me to think of it as an MOT. I too had to take iron tablets but have to pay for my prescriptions and Boots told me it was cheaper to buy them over the counter so worth checking out if you are paying. Hope your iron levels increase soon.

K

Kat100

I was also anaemic but my doctor sent me to hospital for checks and ended up with cameras up and down to make sure there wasnt any underlying problems. Thank god there wasnt - nurse told me to think of it as an MOT. I too had to take iron tablets but have to pay for my prescriptions and Boots told me it was cheaper to buy them over the counter so worth checking out if you are paying. Hope your iron levels increase soon.
Thanks sue, I had to have loads of tests like you a couple of years ago, when I could hardly walk or breath, it was the lack of iron being the cause of the effects, same now, gone straight for the iron given by gp 600 mg a day....hope it works soon.... Thank you for your reply x

jobo

Yes, I have pernicious anaemia and I can't absorb folate. I am always anaemic, I have iron infusions, vitamin B12 injections and folate tablets daily. The iron just doesn't absorb through diet or vitamins, to be honest it makes me feel fairly rotten and my body definitely knows when I'm due the infusions.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Hi jobo I have a malabsorption problem as well, know how tired and unwell you must feel, and those injections b12 really can hurt...
Thank you for sharing, nice to know we are not alone :). But the symptoms are pretty awful.....people don't believe you really y can't get out of bed and need to sleep so much....tc chat again Kat x

jobo

It's the light headed whoosh faint feeling that really bothers me, it's constant, the headaches and breathlessness and the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak lol. I'm currently sleeping 16 hours a day, I have infusion and B12 booked for Tuesday, this time next week I'll feel like Wonder Woman. It's a pain in the neck. X good luck to you

K

Kat100

Hi jobo, it's the breathlessness which is my worst problem, because I love to walk when energy allows,
Great feeling that you are looking forward to being Wonder Woman......:) enjoy that moment X

gfgeoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I have had endoscopy top and bottom no problems found also barium meal with x rays and no problem also tested for coleacs no problem and I am not anaemic however for some reason my body is unable to store ferritin and my levels keep dropping very low not sure if there is a connection with my type 2 diabetes any ideas anyone?:)
Geoff