New Diabetic Targets for Type 2's

sixfoot

Interesting but when you think they get paid to pump you full of Meds its not difficult to see why they wont ditch the Current Advice.

Dave P

C

catherinecherub

Yes it is quite an eye opener Dave. I think that many on here have had bad experiences with their diabetic team. That does not detract from the fact that there are some good ones out there as well. I cannot praise mine enough and wish that every diabetic got the level of care that I did.

Catherine.

sixfoot

In my humble opinion as part of the induction there should be at least a basic level of understanding of Metabolism of Fats - Carbs - Protien. That underpins understanding of Diet, Effect on BS and Cholesterol. All of which you get clobbered with later because it goes haywire when you arent told in the first place. Yes its lots of information but in my opinion its the right info to start with.

Dave P

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Dave,

I agree with you absolutely - it certainly is high time that doctors did learn about diet and it's effect on BS and cholesterol.

Then maybe we wouldn't get ridiculous statements like the one in this article, from senior medical professionals who state that the only way doctors can lower BS is to throw even more meds at the symptoms instead of treating the cause.

sixfoot

And there is the linked article to it which suggests that tight control may actually be harmfull ??. These are proffessionals arent they ??

Dave P

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I looked up the paper and got the digest of it. I have written to the GP in Oxfordshire suggesting that thee ,
<7% could be achieved with less medication anf less carb in the diet. and it wouldn't cost anything.
Since healthcare is being measured in "value for money" terms, maybe we'll see the end of "eat plenty of complex carbohydrates with every meal" at last. If it's costing too much in medicines.
Being a cynic, I suspect they would rather we all develop complications( which will be down to non-compliance)

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
The problem might well be that the introductions for newly diagnosed diabetics are targeted at he lowest possible denominator. Perhaps the reality is that many diagnosed as diabetics are not as inquisitive as users of this site or are not overly concerned with the diagnosis. 'I be diabetic but as long as I take the tablets.................................I can eat what I want.

On the other hand I have a long standing friend who happens to have a wife who is a nursing 'sister' or whatever the level now is. She feeds fruit cake with coffee on the grounds that fruit is not a problem for diabetics. Sadly (in my view) the (grossly over heavy friend) with not one but two good degrees accepts her views and can't (or won't) understand why I have a coffee but no eats.

C

catherinecherub

This study is saying elderley diabetics. Perhaps this group are O.K. on these numbers. I seem to remember Katharine (our helpful, friendly Dr) quoting that higher numbers, 7 - 7.5 were more acceptable for the elderly living alone. If they could maintain these without medication that would be fine but the study is concerned about diabetics having tablets and insulin thrown at them to acheive this. It also makes you wonder what numbers were considered acceptable prior to this report.

Catherine.

sixfoot

Well of course they can print a report and we also can have a view and i know what my target is and when i get to the "Older" age group ( whatever that is) i will check again to see where i am against their target.

Dave P

C

catherinecherub

Older age group. Hospital admissions consider 65 upwards as the older age group.

Mal

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
sixfoot said:
And there is the linked article to it which suggests that tight control may actually be harmfull ??. These are proffessionals arent they ??

Dave P

Hmmm, professional what though??

peppiB

Mal said:
sixfoot said:

Dave P

Hmmm, professional what though??

From my experience with some of them over the past few months BURKES (sp) would be my answer to that!

Trinkwasser

Clueless Fsckwits comes closer to what I was thinking.

AACE in the States has championed 6.5 for years now. You might suspect that Clinical Endocrinologists even if American might have a greater Clue Quotient