Linagliptin

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I saw my consultant today. HbA1c is 7.4% which isn't bad but not great either. My control is good but I suffer from extreme insulin resistance in the early hours. He has put me on Linagliptin to see if this helps. I know this is normally used for Type 2's and was wondering if any other Type 1's had experience of it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there,

I too suffer insulin resistance in the mornings - have you tried adjusting your insulin ratios and what ratio do you use in the morning for your insulin ?

I changed my morning ratio from 1:1 to 1.5:1 for each carb portion, this has worked well for me and has given me better control. If you haven't looked at this already it would probably be worth checking with your consultant and trying this ?

;)

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have changed my ratios and also take an extra 10-15 units of Novarapid on waking to cover the high that I wake up with, usually between 14-18. My levels at 3am are always between 6 and 7 so between then and 6 they rise sharply. We are going to try the Linagliptin, which has proved successful in other similar cases. The only other alternative is a pump which I am in 2 minds about

debbiiee

My consultant also suggested linagliptin, i am a type 1, but i did not prefer that. I hope that will work well for you. Let us know how you get on with it. Try changing the time of ur basal, sometimes it may work...:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

debbiiee

Sorry, it was sitagliptin. But they are all of the same class. Gliptins increase insulin secretion & decrease glucagon secretion. So if gliptin is prescribed, ur pancreas should be secreting some insulin which will be stimulated by the gliptins...:D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it, the gliptins suppress the DPP-4 enzyme which in turn switches off pancreatic insulin after a certain time. The end result for T2s is a longer period of insulin production after a meal. I can't really see how it would help a T1 unless the pancreas is still producing some insulin. I would have thought increasing the Bolus ratio for the morning would be more effective, but I'm just an amateur :)

debbiiee

As I understand it, the gliptins suppress the DPP-4 enzyme which in turn switches off pancreatic insulin after a certain time. The end result for T2s is a longer period of insulin production after a meal. I can't really see how it would help a T1 unless the pancreas is still producing some insulin. I would have thought increasing the Bolus ratio for the morning would be more effective, but I'm just an amateur :)
Most T1s continue producing some insulin even after years. Thats the way gliptins are prescribed i think...

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Doesn't seem to have made any difference so far, been taking it for a week. I will persevere! I have been a Type 1 since 1974