The pump and your relationship

Ainzl3y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I am 21 and have been diabetic for almost 11 years now and I'm still on 4 injections a day. I have herd great things about the pump but I am a little concerned it will have an affect on intimacy with my partner. I am just wondering if you have to leave the pump attached while having sex and if not is it an inconvenience/mood killer taking it off.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the pump isnt actually a problem - it takes maybe 3 seconds to detach and I dont need it when busy because im active, if you know what i mean. I can do it without looking even.

If you let it then yeah it could have an affect but i dont see why it should personally :)

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going on a pump very soon and me and my other half have spoken about it and the affect he may have.
He said that he loves me and doesn't care if it's there at all and as long as I'm healthy and happy then he's happy.

Any man that isn't willing to sleep with you because you're keeping yourself alive shouldn't be welcome in your bed anyway ;)

All the best.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ainzl3y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice it's me that has the concern he doesn't care either way lol I just don't want it getting ripe out of me I move about a lot in my sleep too.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can take it of whilst you're doing the bizz!
I don't know what you wear in bed but when I trailed mine I clipped it on to my bottoms and it wasn't a problem. You can put it inter your pillow as well.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Honestly it can be tricky at first. I have a wonderful husband who didn't have an issue with the pump being attached but I have found it difficult to adjust. It took me time to get used to being connected all the time, let alone during intimacy. I was so terrified of catching the tubing or ripping off a set I hardly let him touch me to begin with. That was hard for him too. I'd been diabetic years on injections but initially with the pump I felt really diabetic, really confronted by the condition. With time though this passes and you feel wrong being disconnected. I am much more relaxed than I used to be. The pump has changed our sex life but for me rather than him. I do find it harder as my sugars are so good I now risk hypos with sex which never used to happen. I worry about the time I've been disconnected and I feel less sexy with a cannula in. However we still have a happy, loving, intimate relationship and I'd never give up the pump. I think a lot of people worry about intimacy but long term you'll find a way for it not to be an issue at all if you have a loving partner and give yourself time too. Hope that helps.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a very understanding partner who doesn't mind me leaving the pump attached. But I found I was running out of places to attach it (shush now!) and generally worrying about it interfering with the gymnastics. So I've decided just to take it off for an hour (yes the full sixty minutes, girls and boys - after my exertions I usually need a 58 minute nap).

After all if I can take the pump off for a shower or a long bath, I can do the same for a spot of the other. I put the pump into minus 100% temp basal mode (aka "OFF") rather than Suspend, so it doesn't whistle its annoying jingle every few minutes and ruin the mood.

If I was off my **** in a club, pulling three birds and a bloke for a kinky fivesome (like the old days), I might pull the canula patch off as well, just in case anyone got squeamish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Serious but also a funny thread (Spiker!!) I disconnect but I do worry that Mr S pressing against the cannula will bend it in some way - think I'm a bit weird!!!

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually just unplug it and put it back on afterwards :)s Never had anyone say anything about doing so :)
Explained it was just easier and less risk involved in breaking it :)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I don't detach and I've never pulled a set out, yet.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This made me lol but I also worried about this with the pump. I have to admit I do feel less sexy with the cannula in, I just try to keep the cannulas as low or as far round the sides as possible so that they're not too visible. I found once I'd found a good way of wearing my pump things were much easier, at night I tend to use the pump pouch and clip it on my bra. If my bra stays on the pump usually does too but if I take it off I just unclip the pump which takes a second, then reconnect after.
Feel very lucky to have a partner who doesn't give a monkeys whether I've got a bulldozer hanging round my neck never kind about a pump, not sure if I'd feel so easygoing when I wasn't in a stable relationship. I wouldn't worry I'm sure you will find your own way of managing it :)

Reactions: 3 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Feel very lucky to have a partner who doesn't give a monkeys whether I've got a bulldozer hanging round my neck never kind about a pump, not sure if I'd feel so easygoing when I wasn't in a stable relationship. I wouldn't worry I'm sure you will find your own way of managing it :)

Jeez, who are you going with: Ironman, Clark Kent, Bob the Builder? :hilarious:

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha maybe I should have used a different example :p

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I have a very understanding partner who doesn't mind me leaving the pump attached. But I found I was running out of places to attach it (shush now!) and generally worrying about it interfering with the gymnastics. So I've decided just to take it off for an hour (yes the full sixty minutes, girls and boys - after my exertions I usually need a 58 minute nap).

Hey @Spiker ,
Do those two minutes include sock removal?

After all if I can take the pump off for a shower or a long bath, I can do the same for a spot of the other. I put the pump into minus 100% temp basal mode (aka "OFF") rather than Suspend, so it doesn't whistle its annoying jingle every few minutes and ruin the mood.

I used to do the same - either that or banish 'R2' to another room! My DSN told me recently not to bother suspending the pump (except for Diasend uploads) - the energy you can expend (even in 2 minutes) can far outway the unadministered basal.

If I was off my **** in a club, pulling three birds and a bloke for a kinky fivesome (like the old days), I might pull the canula patch off as well, just in case anyone got squeamish.

Leaving the cannula in: now that would be kinky! :stop:

Reactions: 3 people