Newly diagnosed

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 6 weeks ago. Getting to grips with it all ok I suppose. I wanted to know what other people's lantus dosage is ? I was set at 20 initially but it has been reduced to 14 now.
The last couple of weeks have been hard work - dropping to 3's and 4's within 3 hours of eating. I've reduced my apidra massively but was wandering if the lantus is too high... Either that or I'm in a 'honeymoon period'

Any advice would be appreciated !
Paul

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul,

I started on 8 units of lantus, and am now settled at 24units but it took months to get there.

Best of luck

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul,
Hope you get it sorted out soon.
I was initally put on 10 units at diagnosis which was quickly put up to 12. This went back to 10 and then 9. It has slowly had to change again and I am now on 18 units in the evening and 5 units in the morning.
Have a look at some of the links Jack has recommended above, especially the top one.
It may be that your basal is slightly out if your going low after every meal, but it could be your insulin:carb ratio.
Do you have a contact number for your healthcare team so that they could advise you?

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 6 weeks ago. Getting to grips with it all ok I suppose. I wanted to know what other people's lantus dosage is ? I was set at 20 initially but it has been reduced to 14 now.
The last couple of weeks have been hard work - dropping to 3's and 4's within 3 hours of eating. I've reduced my apidra massively but was wandering if the lantus is too high... Either that or I'm in a 'honeymoon period'

Any advice would be appreciated !
Paul

Hi Paul,

I've been a T1 for 45 years and have managed to get a good understanding of the subject, implemented all the procedures required to get good blood glucose, and so my HbA1c readings have always been < 7.5%. In the last two years I've started doing tighter control using MDI (Multiple Daily Injections) with basal/bolus, and this has resulted in all three readings being in the 6.5 to 7.0% with a drastic reduction in hypos, so I'm well pleased. Even after all these years as a T1 I have no diabetic complications ... so far.

The booklets from Diabetes Scotland are first class and contain nearly every thing you need to know, apart from ..."How to check your Basal dose is correct". When I was first given my Lantus basal I also was not told how to adjust the level to ensure it matches your body's requirements, so here is what you need to do ...... using FASTING TESTS during both the day and night.

See attached file called "Basal insulin - adjusting your dose".

But, as you say, you may still be in the honeymoon period, so you will need to check this quite often in the early days.

Good luck ...... JontyW

Attachments

• Basal insulin - adjusting your dose.pdf
    236.5 KB · Views: 820
Reactions: 2 people

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm speaking to them today so hopefully get it sorted. I've dropped to 12 units and it seems to be slightly better

Paul

simonkit

I'm quite recently diagnosed Type 1, 15 months ago, and my experience is that on first diagnosis you're really given a few "ball park" figures to work with. Whilst in hospital during my initial diagnosis I was told to take 20 units of Lantus.. the few weeks afterwards I suffered frequent lows so quickly got to grips with carb counting, ask for an Aviva Expert Meter, helps no end.

I gradually reduced my Lantus/background insulin and now only actually take 4 units.. still have the odd low around 3.5, but this is generally when eating out and having food which I'm not really 100% what the carb content is. I'm trying my best to continue the life I used to live before diagnosis.. it's just that bit more complicated now but carb counting has been and will be a big help.

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
was diagnosed early April, initially put on 16 units but has dropped to 12 now, i am pretty sure i am going through the honeymoon period at the moment , have the odd low but generally my numbers are pretty good all day long!...

i try to stick to a low carb diet, only real carbs are breakfast when i have a bowl of porridge, rest of the day is pretty much carb free so i guess this helps a bit aswell...

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - I was on 20 units to start with and I've now come down to 14 and 12 the last couple of days. I'm carb counting but often having to do 1:20 or less ratios due to the lows.

Paul

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
@PG1759 compared to me your really low on the lantus dosage, I'm on 100 units at bedtime (when I wake in the morning i'm around mmol 4 most of the time), hopping to get it reduced or able to split it every 12 hours instead of all at once (last time I asked to split it I was told no, so not holding my breath about it).

gemz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been in my honeymoon period for just over a year and take 6 units of Lantus. The first few months are trial and error to get your dosages right, just make sure you don't adjust by too much, speak with your diabetes nurse first.