Weight loss?

Truelove66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been taking metformin for 3months now, friends I've spoken too said my weight would drop off taking these tablets.nothing has happened yet so doesn't it work for everyone? Please help

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a low carb high fat diet .. It help me loose 4 st in 6 months

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is supposed to be an appetite suppressant, but will only work if you also cut out the carbs and watch the calories. It isn't a miracle drug. The miracle will only happen if you control what you are eating.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on Metformn and have found my appetite much reduced . That said I've also adopted a low carb diet , so no pasta, bread, rice, spuds etc and made a conscious effort to move to smaller portions. I find it far better to say that I can always have more or a pudding than fill plate up as rarely do I go back for more or have the pudding so a lot of it is eating with eyes . Try drinking lots of water as we often mistake thirst for hunger. This had all worked so far for me and I am shifting the weight.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for that,struggling with the low carb n high fibre as I don't eat vegetables so not sure what to eat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

It is high fat not high fibre though we do need some roughage. I'm not going mad on fat as I also have family history of high cholesterol and I prefer low fat taste tbh but you do need adequate fat to compensate for the low carb content of diet, so have the odd cooked breakfast, nice piece of steak etc, some cheese, butter if you like it. Sadly a diagnosis of diabetes means we have to try and get used to eating things we maybe didn't like once over. Try adding some vegetables to your meals every day, even of it is just a small portion until you get used to them. They reckon kids take at karst 10 attempts at a new food so I'm sure adults are the same.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for that,struggling with the low carb n high fibre as I don't eat vegetables so not sure what to eat

I understand your difficulties as I also don't eat many vegetables. I have found a high fibre wholemeal bread that works for me (Hovis original wholemeal 7 seeds) I can manage one slice of that with a meal (but two slices spikes me too much). I also eat homemade mushy peas (the dried marrowfat ones) a couple of times a week, plus a daily dose of strawberries, tomatoes, and one or 2 small potatoes, which are all reasonably good sources of fibre.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb high fat .. Not fibre .. Cut the carbs and increase the fat .. Then as you loose the weight you will become more active .. Do you have a bs meter .. Test before eating and 2 hrs after to see what you can eat without spiking your sugars

Truelove66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't mean to put fiber, at the moment I'm eating whole meal bread lots of fruit drinking water and small potions of potatoes.i still eat chicken beef and pork.no I don't have a metro as I was told I didn't need one,just blood test every 3 months

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of us type 2's are told we don't need a meter. This is incorrect advice. We do need a meter, otherwise how do we know which foods are causing the high BS levels? We test before a meal then 1hr and 2hrs after starting the meal to see what that meal has done to us. I suggest you buy one, and start learning which foods your body can cope with. We are all different.

Many of us find we can't eat any sort of bread, wholemeal or not. Lots of fruit is bad. Fruit is full of sugar. Many of us can just about manage berries or an odd apple. Potatoes are usually a no-no for most people, although one or two small ones maybe OK. You don't know what you can cope with ...... so please get a meter, test out your meals, and you may be in for a big shock.

The good news is you can eat meat, fish, eggs, natural fats such as butter, cream, olive oil, rapeseed oil, cheese etc. Bacon and eggs, yum yum!

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Plenty of online sites will send you a new one FOC but watch those prices for the strips.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SD codefree on Amazon is reasonable and the strips can be bulk bought with a code at Home Health online.

You do need to test to see what affects you as some folk can manage a slice of bread or some rice and potatoes. I've cut them out completely for the minute to shift the weight as fast as possible and know from experience that they are highly addictive to me.. One slice of toast became three, and so on. My GP is supportive of low carbing which helps keep me motivated and I have found great improvements in both BS and my IBS since knocking them on head.
Although sometimes you wonder what can you eat, there's actually still plenty to choose from and if you look at the what have you eaten today thread on low carb part of this forum, there are some great ideas for lunches and dinners. Tonight we are having chicken faijtas - the family have wraps and I'll have iceberg leaves. I do big pan of peppers and onions and bowls of feta and hummus and everyone eats what they like. Tomorrow I've made poulet Basquaise ( chicken and peppers in tomato and garlic sauce) and will have it with green beans and asparagus. You just have to learn to think of low carb veg as your friend - slap some butter on asparagus and beans if you can't stomach them otherwise.