Why am I tired?

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those meds can make you sleepy but have you thought it might be something else. Do you know if you snore. I know someone who put their tiredness down to meds but in the end the g p sent them for tests at the hospital and they were diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea. They were not even overweight as people think this is a must for this condition. They just have unusually small airways . Since sleeping with a Cpap machine their life has improved considerably. Just a thought

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gfgeoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi suggest you check your blood ferritin levels I'm type 2 diabetic and I'm unable to retain ferritin (no bleeds)
So I have a double whammy on the fatigue front Happy Days :)
Geoff

catbat007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am exactly the same Trev, I am 43 and so tired and unable to drag my ass to do anything, I have asked the Doctor and the diabetic nurse and both just shrug and say, it will come back, but I think that's just a brush off, they don't know either.

Have you tried getting your Thyroid checked out. Some Type 1 Diabetics can have Thyroid issues, mainly hypothyroid. This would explain being tired all the time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress, adrenal 'exhaustion' and depression can all cause ongoing grinding tiredness too.

Also sleep problems, food intolerances and background infections.

catbat007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria, yes I think all of that is interrelated. My doctor told me that thyroid is closely tied with the adrenals, so both glands need to be looked at and supported to make sure they are functioning properly. Depression is such a common symptom when the endocrine system is unbalanced. Its all a balancing act.

Reactions: 2 people

diane e

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it me or is anyone else tired all the time, even if I have a lay in I still want more sleep.
I am only 48 but have had a below knee amputation 20 months ago, I take tramadol and pregabalin.
My diabetes is well controlled most of the time, I feel like I waste my weekends because i am too tired to do anything.
Any suggestions?

diane e

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tramadol makes u tired wen I was on them all I did was sleep as soon as I stopped them and got them out my system felt loads better

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Is it me or is anyone else tired all the time, even if I have a lay in I still want more sleep.
I am only 48 but have had a below knee amputation 20 months ago, I take tramadol and pregabalin.
My diabetes is well controlled most of the time, I feel like I waste my weekends because i am too tired to do anything.
Any suggestions?
Snap!! I'm tired when I get up each morning and totally exhausted when I go to bed that night. My BG is 7.6 last blood test. No testing strips so BG isn't stable. I'm 57 and feel so much older

G

gemma6549

Pregabalin also makes you tired so the combination with tramadol is probably contributing a bit

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was absolutely exhausted for years with typical symptoms of hypothyroidism but my Drs ruled this out as my bloods were in range. Eventually I stopped listening to them and took action. Of course it was my thyroid. I got so much better but did not recover completely. This year I was diagnosed diabetic and am on diet control, a very strict LCHF and I am better than I have been for twenty years. Mind, twenty years ago I was still youngish.

What has worked for me so far has been to treat my lack of thyroid hormones with NDT.
To treat my low level of vitamin D with doses of 5000IU per day during the dark months
To treat my high bg with a very low carb, high fat diet.

Thankfully I have never suffered from anaemia, neither the low iron nor the low B12 variety. I believe both are every common though. It is wise to get Ferritin tested if you are tired.
This sounds similar to my situation the nurse is adamant my thyroid is fine can't explain my tiredness easier to say never mind you'll get over it my blood sugar is well under control my blood pressure is also a nevermind state how did you convince your nurse there was some problem?
Jan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel tired all the time, awful some mornings and whacked by the end of each week - it's so annoying :***::***::***: now the weather is getting better and days longer, I am hoping the mood improves as I am GRUMPY...that said, it's a four day weekend for me this week - yay :happy:xx

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

Oo tiredness tell me about it! I feel it so much its unreal! I hate it and is the worse thing for me personally. I am 29 and regularly have naps as its a way of coping with it all. The doctors put it down to chronic fatigue syndrome when I was 17 but before I was diagnosed sleep was one of my major issues as I slept a lot and although is much better than then it still is an issue. I tried caffine tablets for a while when I was 18 but they were rubbish plus been tested for a lot of things.

mattzuma

I find fatigue to be a problem too. Doing hard exercise helps a lot. I swim over three miles a week and feel way better for it. I have joint problems and suffer a lot of pain, it helps this too.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's awesome. I struggle with 20 minutes of swimming without a hypo although I'm working on it and am trying some tips as we speak so thanks everyone.

victry77

I've always been a tired person since a teen and way before I became T1. I honestly can't last a day without an afternoon or early evening nap. I work part-time and have two half days off, which sounds great to have a couple of free afternoons but it is a total waste of time as I just come home, make up a little bed on the couch and sleep for 1.5-2hrs.

I remember last year, around June, I was feeling extra tired. My annual review was due in the August so I was going to ask for an FBC and additional blood work. However, I started to drink a lot more water and started to feel better, so I put it down to being a bit dehydrated. However, was feeling more sleepy and lethargic again this past month, had an earlier review at the clinic so got an FBC and my iron and B12 checked. That was nine days ago and heard nothing back, so I'm assuming nothing flagged up.

I've also never found exercise to do much for my either, but I really don't do enough and need to get a bit more active.