Beer and raising BS levels

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just seeing if type 1's who have a couple of pints on the weekend, do their blood sugars go way up after a pint it two, I know they come down with the alcohol affect, but do you see a rise into the late teens etc after one or two

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In general alcohol only has a small effect on blood sugar. Yes, there may be some carbs in alcohol but I think you'll find most of it is turned to alcohol during fermentation

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I don't drink but I know that they do because the alcohol has sugar in with makes your sugar go high then drop excessively, hope this helps

Surely the sugar has turned to alcohol and the carbs you have to worry about?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Beer is a little carby so initially not unusual to see a rise, however, I generally find that this rise is usually followed by a drop. No hard and fast rules really, test and see how beer affects yourself.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find beer to be quite carby.
Usually when I have one it is is with a meal so will take insulin for around 50% of the carbs in the beer.
The beers that I drink generally will put my BS up quite a bit but I will usually only have one or two at a push.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beer has alcohol and sugar in it since not all of the sugar is converted. Summer weight bitters can have quite a lot of sugar in them and another problem with them is a lot of people don't stop at one pint. I never did.

A well known GP called beer liquid toast.

Additional: Not all the sugar in wine is converted into alcohol either but there is less of it by weight than there is in beer.

I got this after Googling. It might/might not help.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/HealthIssues/1110385823.html#.U7pZG9GwV2E

Last edited by a moderator:

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of assertions there that isn't backed up by any links to other information. A pinch of salt is needed?

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A little, but I normally find it's the day after.. I always go low and have massive swings between high and low as my liver's functions are inhibited by alcohol i.e. no bounce back or natural release of sugar.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just seeing if type 1's who have a couple of pints on the weekend, do their blood sugars go way up after a pint it two, I know they come down with the alcohol affect, but do you see a rise into the late teens etc after one or two

generally with the bitters and other heavier darker beers, also things like weissbier, and the summer ales as Squire F points out, as these tend to have a less complete fermentation.

Generally lagers/pilsners tend to have a more complete fermentation as do the lower alcohol (5-6%) vs 7-9% IPAs. The latter, although fermenting well start and end at higher SGs.

I tend to have no probs with dry wines and spirits. but generally I'm not getting above 9.0