BYETTA

sixfoot

Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Give it a while for the weight to start shifting and you will be running around like a spring lamb, but leave it a couple of months before thinking of buying new clothes :D

Good luck
Dave P

humph

My consultant reckons the slow release version of Byetta will lead to better control and less chance of the really bad side effects.

He also said that the trial of Albiglutide looked very promising and may actually be the best of the GLP1's so far.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Humph,

From what I can see from the research that GlaxoSmithKline have released so far (the latest being last month) their Albiglutide appears to be well behind the others. They seem to have only just started in vivo phase 3 trials and so far have only tested patients on two week trials, where injections are given on day 1, with results tested on day 2, then a further dose on day 8 with results tested again on day 9. The test results do look good, but to get this past the regulators they will need to conduct trials that last for at least 6 months in order to prove tolerability no cumulative negative problems and that the drug has a consistent delivery mechanism. They will also have to test Albiglutide in combination with every other type-2 medication to ensure there are no incompatability issues and they haven't even started this yet.

They appear to be having a problem with their delivery agent. This is supposed to be a once a week medication and they have fused their GLP-1 mimetic to human albumen, whereas the other manufacturers are using an artificial agent instead of albumen. They seem to be finding that the dose doesn't consistently last for 7 days, sometimes it is 6 and sometimes 8. The use of albumen does mean that the nausea side effect is greatly reduced, but it is no use if they can't guarantee how long a dose will last before it needs to be repeated. So far GSK haven't even suggested a possible submission or launch date, so I would hazard a guess that it could be 2011 before this one is sent for approval.

philipc

Well am now 2 injections in...

I feel rough as hell....

I dont want to eat anything as it turns my stomach..
I have a headache and feel semi sick

Good news - I lost 1 1/2lbs overnight

Tell me this is normal!!

I'll stop panicking eventually!!

sixfoot

Philip ........ i personally didnt get the sickie bit with Byetta but think i still should advise you to stick with it. I am assuming ( dangerous ) that your BS are going the right way along with some weight loss. When you inject do you wait a while or as i and others did inject and eat straight away. It appears that if you dont wait some of the sickie bit is lessened. For most it goes in about 2 weeks.

i am now some 10 months down the road and i have to say much better for it. With the benefit of Byetta and cutting the carbs i have got to the point where i have now ditched the Gliclazide. 3.5st down and feel good.

Again all i can say to you is stay with it it does get better
All the best
Dave P

philipc

I Injected at 4.10 and eat straight away - well within 25 mins and felt fine..

However, this morning I felt rough as a dog and got hardly any sleep!! - GRRRR!

Possibly psycho-simatic..

Yeah BS are lower - thank the lord.... 6.4 this morning ;)

Apparently I can use Orlistat with my Byetta - despite what the internets say!! -

On the whole I am happy - but a scared 31 yr old poof heheh! ;)

P ;)

philipc

and if your PCT does a group session - dont attend it - its an hour of your life you will never get back!! ;)

sixfoot

Been there done that over 6 months, on the last one told them i was Lo Carb and they looked at me like some kind of Heretic so i smiled and left

Dave P

carolynjw

I am just going into my second week of Byetta now. I have felt sicky but not BEEN sick.

I am not sure if I have lost any weight though - has anyone NOT lost weight on this? Please don't say I will be the first .......!

My sugars are coming down nicely but have just had my B12 injection today, so they will drop more for the next couple of weeks.

Going to see my diabetic nurse on Monday to keep a check on things.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice - it makes things so much easier!

:mrgreen:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Quote: I am not sure if I have lost any weight though - has anyone NOT lost weight on this? Please don't say I will be the first .......!

Hi carolyn
I've been on Byetta for two months now and have lost a stone, which as prior to this I couldn't lose a thing I feel is great.

I deliberately avoided scales until after the first month and could then see that I was losing weight.
Jumping on and off the scales on a daily basis is a big no no. Give it time and I'm sure you will get results like most of us on here. Be patient.
Best of luck with the treatment.
Ken

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Carolyn,

You could try just a small reduction in the carbs in your diet. This can sometimes kick-start the weight loss. It doesn't have to by anything drastic: instead of ordinary bread use Nimble or Weightwatchers (half the carbs per slice), if you have potatoes, have half what you normally would but more of other veg to make up the difference, if a pasta or rice dish, take a dessertspoon of it off the plate. It's amazing the difference that even a small reduction like this can make.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

philipc said:
I Injected at 4.10 and eat straight away - well within 25 mins and felt fine..
Hi Philip,

If you mean you are injecting 25 minutes before you eat then that is too long a gap. Try injecting immediately before you eat (i.e. one minute before you sit down to eat). Also fried and spicy foods can make the nausea worse so try to avoid these for a week or two.

candy1567

Hi Philip

I also found that eating stodgy food made me uncomfortable full, so it was easy for me to reduce the carbs as potatoes, pasta rice and bread made me feel as if i had ate to much.

In the first few weeks i tended to eat very small meals but often, and i switched to a smaller plate at meal times. At first as Dennis suggests i injected straight away before eating as i was actually being sick, then as the days turned into weeks i left it for longer, now its about 40 mins which is good.

some days i have my breckie, then look at clock at realise that its 3 ish and i havn't eaten all day, am not doin it on purpose i am just not hungry.

The feelin like **** will go and you will feel as if you've got more energy, i even went swimming the other day somthing i havn't done in years and after work when normally i would just collapse.

Just wondering if i can giv some to my partner hahaha

Juliexx

xxxleonadxxx

Hi Carolyn,

I have to be the black sheep on these boards lol, Byetta hasn't worked for me. I have been on it for about 18 months and struggled at the start with severe vomitting and everything else it brought with it. I take 10mg Byetta, 2000mcg glucophage (SR), 160mcg Gliclazide, 20mg Ramipril plus thyroid medication and I cannot control my bloods, i'm still 14-18 average a day.

I am now just about to start on pioglitazone (crapping myself on this :() and will be undergoing insulin desensitisation soon, as i'm allergic to the stuff.

(Sorry for the life history :))

But I had high hopes for Byetta, i've had no weight loss with it, but I have had weight gain. I haven't lost my appetite, its got worse. Before I was put on Byetta I was a healthy size 14. 18 months into the Byetta treatment and i'm an 18. Its a very depressing thing.

I get jealous when I read on the boards about how you all lose weight and it works for you but I am also very glad that it does.

Ok rant over :), I have to go put my soapbox away now.

xxxxxxxxxxx
Leona
xxxxxxxxxxx

sixfoot

Leona ........ As someone on Byetta for a while now and enjoying the benefits, it gives no pleasure to see posts from someone it hasnt worked for. Like all meds nothing works for everyone. I hope you can get things stabilised.

Best wishes
Dave P

xxxleonadxxx

Hi Dave,

Apologies if it sounded down, I'm really glad that Byetta is such a success for people and as you say not everything works for everyone ........ boy the world would be a boring place if it did :).

I just know that I put all my hopes into Byetta, after all I was told by all the docs etc that this WOULD work, failure was not an option ..... it made me really gutted and down when it didn't work. I just wished that when I started on this I had been a bit more informed that there was that, albeit small, possibility of failure, but then in fairness the docs had pinned hopes on it too.

Now the way I look at it, if it wasn't for people like me being twisted with their meds .... who else would keep them on their toes mwahahahahah

sixfoot

Leona ...... to be fair when i started in April last year i lost some weight which prompted me to go for the lo carb option as well in order to lose the rest.

What ever happens keep the sense of humour its very important

Good luck to you
Dave P

carolynjw

aw Leona ...... you sound really miserable hunni. Hope things look up for you soon.

I've been to see my nurse this morning and I have lost just over half a stone in 2 weeks, so I am really pleased.

Thanks everyone for keeping me focused and up-to-date with relevant information.

:mrgreen: